Thread: Starting Again
View Single Post
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-01, 00:05

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

Me too, me too she says raising her hand...

Hi Zyre. Too bad I didn't see your name back in May. We were in Edmonton to visit our friends (we visit at least once a year) and there might have been time to get together. There are a couple of people on this board from Edmonton. Toni, Brenda and the Popes from Cold Lake.

Last year, we purchased a big coolatron and it has to be the best thing since sliced bread. (Low carb of course) It plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car or can be used like a fridge in your room by using an adaptor that came with it. If you are travelling alone, you could keep it on the floor within arms reach to grab some snacks. (Pretest its cooling powers as we have just had to ship ours back to the states as our stuff froze this time!)

I make up sandwiches with low carb bread for the road. Easy to grab with a drink from the 'tron.

At home, I chop up bunches of green onions and various peppers and sometimes tomatoes. Shredded cheese too. You could pack them in zip lock bags so they squish down a bit more. If you had a couple of containers of this sort of thing, you could make yourself a salad or an omlet if you were carrying a small electric frying pan or something. You could do it even in a microwave.

Pre-made hamburger with taco seasonings. If you carried some small cans of sliced olives and had a small container of sour cream, using the salad fixings and some of the onions, peppers, tomatoes and cheese you could make yourself a taco salad, if you like that kind of thing.

Deli roasted chicken. Chop it up with celery, mayo, S&P, curry if you like. Makes a tastey meal or a great sandwich on low carb bread. Keep some in pieces for when you don't feel like a sandwich.

Make up some precooked cheeseburgers and bag 'em.

If someone in your life has a bread machine, make up a couple of loaves of the Gabi's bread and slice it ready to go. This way, you can either make yourself a sandwich, or use a slice or two to make yourself a hotdog or a cheesburger.

Zip bags of celery, radishes, sliced peppers.

Sliced cheddar cheese.

Container of whipping cream.

Brenda Montermurro gave us an excellent recipe for nut granola. We always have some in the house, but when we travel to Edmonton, we always bring some of this along. You can even snack on a couple of tablespoons of it as a snack. It's great by itself as a cereal or over some strawberries and blueberries (premixed at home with Splenda and a touch of the Dr. Atkins syrup) with a little of the cream is certainly better than going to the Mohawk. I thought scrambled eggs and ham was easy, but somehow they manage to ruin it!

There are lots of ways to make this work. I can appreciate that in your type of job, it is not always possible to grab a good meal that works for you.

Soap box time...
I always believe that if you want something to change in your life, you have to do it! If there is one drawback to this diet, it's that so many things have to be made from scratch. But then, ultimately they are so much better for you. You can find some kind of solution that will work for you. You just have to think about it and utilize the resources that are available to you. There has to be a way!