#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:51
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Cool Best of the LC Tortillas, Breads, and Muffins

Hello! I thought I would start a new thread discussing the best of the low-carb bakery stuff.

LA TORTILLA FACTORY TORTILLAS

I've seen posts praising La Tortilla Factory tortillas and I also think they are great... with 9 grams of fiber and 3 net carbs, they are wonderful toasted in a toaster oven with a slice of cheese. Although they do not quite taste like regular tortillas, they have more texture and flavor. I've tried all 3 varieties... the whole wheat, green onion, and garlic, and they are all good.

They do keep in the refrigerator for a long time as well. I bought them online at Atkinscenter.com, but found them in my nearby Vitamin Cottage in the refrigerated section--yipee!

FOOD FOR LIFE - Low Carbohydrate Bread

Also found at my local Vitamin Cottage, this 3 net carbs bread is very moist and toasts up nicely, but it is a bit pricey arourd $3 US per 1 lb loaf.

ATKINS - Banana Nut Muffin & Cranberry Orange Muffin mix

These 2-net-carb-per-serving-muffins are both not bad. Very fluffy and a nice flavor. Not very sweet, however. I prefer the Cranberry Orange ones, however because I don't like nuts on the inside of banana bread.

As a whole, low carb products are still hard to find in my neck of the woods. GNC carries a limited selection, and most of the regular grocery stores have almost nothing.

I just bought a bunch of Keto stuff (per recommendations on the Keto thread), so I'm trusting you folks to give out good advice

Has anybody experimented with different low-carb baking products? The Atkins bake mix is okay, but not fluffy. I made some decent pancakes but they were pretty flat. I'd like to experiment with using straight soy gluten as a flour substitute, but I didn't know if it would work.

I found a pancake syrup that is mostly sugar alcohols, Carys, at my local Safeway. 12 grams carbs, 11 of which are sugar alcohols. I slipped it on the kids pancakes and none of the 4 noticed that it was a "sugar free" product. Has a nice thick texture.

I think I'll stick to Atkins syrup even though it is watery, though, so as not to stall too much on those sugar alcohols.

Sponsored Links