Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Awesome Chicken Broccoli recipe... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=46765)

DWRolfe Thu, Jun-06-02 12:37

Awesome Chicken Broccoli recipe...

Here's another recipe that I've referred to and several people have asked about....we love it and call it "Awesome Chicken With Broccoli"......it was orignally posted in the Reader's Recipe section as "Cheezy Chicken & Green Bean Casserole", but I'm not crazy about green beans...

8 chicken breast halves, boned (skin if you like)
1 package fresh mushrooms (sliced)
2-3 cups frozen or fresh broccoli (I use fresh, cut small)
1 large onion, sliced
4 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar/jack, use less if you like)
black pepper to taste
salt (you decide, I don't like salt)
garlic powder to taste
butter
olive oil

Heat oven to 350
In large skillet, brown chicken in olive oil and butter until partially cooked. Remove and lay into 13 x 9 baking dish (sprayed with PAM). Add broccoli around the chicken any which way you like.

To oil and butter (I add more butter now) in skillet, add your onion, celery and mushrooms (smells so good) and cook until onion is clear and wilting.

While veggies are cooking, mix cream, mayo, spices (I sometimes add some sour cream, too) and shreaded cheese. Stir it up.

Remove cooking veggies and lay across the chicken and broccoli. Then pour cream/mayo mix over all.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Let stand for 5 before serving.

I serve this with salad (and supplements and plenty of water). It makes enough for two people with leftovers for 2 lunches.

Don't have the counts, but check fitday if need be. I just know it's darn good....

ONE OF OUR MOST CRAVEABLE MEALS!

Try it!

Donald :wave:

joe burns Tue, Jun-11-02 16:01

It sounds g :roll: good even reading it

Making me hungrey already

Joe

MarieC Tue, Oct-15-02 07:49

This is awsome. Thanks for sharing.

nancy30 Fri, Oct-18-02 09:04

MMMMMmmmmmmm this sounds so wonderful can't wait to try it!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Akiwican Fri, Oct-18-02 09:13

Thanks Donald

This sounds like one for the books! Receipe book that is :D

:wave: Lesley

alto Fri, Oct-18-02 11:18

Thank you for posting this, Donald. I'm one who has to sneak in vegetables, and this looks like a dang tasty sneak :)

acipenser Mon, Oct-28-02 22:00

my oh my oh my

this dish is WONDERFUL!! the whole family loved it. thank you so much!!!

cre8tivgrl Wed, Oct-30-02 13:11

Yummy!! I am trying this for family tonight. It sounds so good I am sure it will be a hit!! I'll let you know!! :)

digwig Tue, Feb-18-03 12:44

I'm giving this one a bump, since Donald mentioned it in his journal today.

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

Dig

Jeepers Thu, Feb-20-03 05:38

wooo hooo

Mmmmmm sounds yummy...thanks Donald!

And a big thanks to dig for bumping it...i never would have found it! :p

-Amy

tripletmom Sun, Apr-06-03 21:54

As a Master Cook Deluxe Owner...

... I felt it was my DUTY to post the nutritional information!! I used 8 servings, since I figured 4 was a bit small... just do your math to make adjustments to count!!

Hugs

Karen

Suzan Sun, May-04-03 20:55

MMMMMM !!!

Excellent Donald! I only discovered your recipe about four days ago and I'm already making it for the second time.

I did a little change though. Since this recipe reminded me of one I used to have years ago called Classy Chicken I tweaked it a bit to be like that since I really liked it. I added curry to the sauce mixture! Don't ask how much - I recommend you just add what you like - I add lots 'cause I love it. Then, rather than mix the shredded cheese in with the sauce I put it on the top.

It was great...just ask my dog and three cats!

Also, I was going to skip the celery but I'm so glad I didn't - it really adds a nice touch Donald! Thanks for this recipe.

PS - you look terrific - you're such an inspiration!

Suzan

cori Mon, May-12-03 12:24

Mmmmmm....

Let me say that again. Mmmmmmm... It was delicious. I made it for my Mother's Day dinner for my mom & stepdad and they loved it!!! Thank you!

TBird710 Wed, May-21-03 18:57

This was great! Made for Mom & Dad and they actually enjoyed it. This is the first low carb dish they have liked!

CAINNE Fri, Jun-27-03 10:19

This recipe was awesome!! Whole family loved it.

Was thinking some red peppers would give it some good color.

The juice was quite thin, any ideas how to thicken it up?