Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Slow Roasted Herb and Spice Cured Pork Shoulder (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=43561)

tamarian Sat, May-04-02 23:00

Slow Roasted Herb and Spice Cured Pork Shoulder

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe070.html

Howcross Wed, Nov-27-02 17:44

Hi, Karen. :wave:

I made this pork roast on Sunday... with a few adjustments (that's just the kind of cook I am. :)

I didn't have a boneless shoulder; I had a bone-in half picnic, with skin on, about 8 pounds.

I didn't have quite the right spices, so I used:
cumin
thyme
allspice
balck pepper
garlic

I didn't start early enough, so I didn't let it sit at all, just scored it--deeply--rubbed all the spices in, and cooked it for 8 hours.

MAN! It was GREAT! We're North Carolina, the home of pulled pork and vinegar-based barbecue sauce. This pork was wonderful; it just fell off the bone. Yum. Sadly, my attempt at vinegar-based sauce was awful--way too much vinegar.

So the next day, we had sandwiches with lots of mayo (I had mine on low-carb bread), and the NEXT day I added it to your fabulous Cauli-flied Rice.

Anyway, I just wanted to echo what someone said to you the other day: you are remarkably generous with your time and your talent. You have posted so many wonderful recipes. I, for one, pledge to buy several copies of your low-carb cookbook when it comes out.

Thank you so much.

Ann at Howcross Castle

Karen Wed, Nov-27-02 18:01

Excellent! I'm glad it was a success for you.

It does make the greatest leftovers, doesn't it? :D

Karen

RGale Sat, May-31-03 16:17

Karen,

I don't recall ever seeing pork shoulder at my local market -- would this work with pork butt? (Now that I see this in print, it looks rude. Sorry.)

--Ruth

Karen Sat, May-31-03 17:01

Quote:
would this work with pork butt?

But, but, butt...Pork butt? Why yes, pork butt is the same as pork shoulder. :)

Karen

RGale Sat, May-31-03 17:30

Ah, I was wondering about that. I wish they'd adopt some kind of uniform nomenclature, but I suppose that would make things to easy :rolleyes:

In any case, I'm going to try this soon. I love pork butt!

--Ruth

Karen Sat, May-31-03 20:36

Quote:
Ah, I was wondering about that. I wish they'd adopt some kind of uniform nomenclature,

Do you know what the actual name is for Chilean sea bass? Patagonian Toothfish. Mmm, that sounds tasty! ;)

Karen

FionaC Sat, Jun-14-03 19:18

Hey Karen

Just wanted to say that I made this pork last weekend and it is truely amazing

I did a variation on the theme though and went asian inspired, did peppercorns, garlic, lemongrass, five spice & corriander and it was amazing!!!!!!!!!! smelled divine cooking and tasted even better... so thanks for posting that recipe it will be a regular on my Sunday afternoon cookup's!!!!

Fiona :D

Karen Sat, Jun-14-03 23:38

Cool Fiona! :cool: I love those seasonings too.

Karen

Doitnow Sat, Jun-28-03 17:23

Boneless pork should? I can't fine.

I have looked for boneless pork shoulder. Any suggestions on which chains might have it? I live in Seattle area: Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer. I'm new here so I don't know all the chains.

If I find pork shoulder, would butcher be likely to bone it for me? Or would that be debone?!

FionaC Sat, Jun-28-03 18:58

I ask my butcher to debone meat all the time, and they don't have any problem doing it for me, another options is to take it home and debone it yourself, if you have a dog toss the bone to him and you can both be happy :D

Otherwise I freeze the bone to make stock for soup later on

Fiona :D

lasert Fri, Jan-02-04 17:20

Karen's Pork shoulder----WOW

what a great recipe. I gues all of Karen's recipes probably are but I have only tried a couple, the NY Cheesecake is to die for.
Yesterday, I started the pork shoulder......dry marinade for 24 hours...then slow baked in a covered dish (though the recipe didn't specify covering it)........what a great treat.
I've never used a dry marinade before and was kind of skeptical but it was succulent and very flavorful.

Karen Fri, Jan-02-04 22:06

That's cool lasert! Glad you liked it. I use dry marinades on all sorts of meats. Like 'em better than the wet varieties.

If you make it again, leave it uncovered as covering will steam the roast rather than "roasting" it.

Karen

kath310 Thu, Jan-29-04 10:44

I used this rub-recipe too, but I did mine in the crockpot. The flavour was deeeeelicious!!!

Karen Thu, Jan-29-04 17:41

Great idea! I slipped one in the oven before I went to work today. I must try it in the crock pot next.

Karen