Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Good steak seasoning (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=364301)

Lovimylife Mon, Feb-11-08 18:16

Good steak seasoning

Ok. I can cook a good steak to perfection. What i can't perfect is the seasoning. I have tried montreal, garlic, pepper and salt. Anyone ever work in a restaurant with a great flavored steak and know what to use? Thanks for any ideals.

Sandollar Mon, Feb-11-08 18:29

I love Montreal steak spice and then a drop of ranch dressing on top once it's cooked!

If you have a BBQ, then a really good steak shouldn't need more than salt and pepper!:)

ElleH Mon, Feb-11-08 20:14

Oh Lord, my favorite is Cavender's Greek Seasoning. It's on the spice aisle in most grocery stores, in a white can with a cartoon chef on it with a grill. I have tried them ALL, every marinade you can think of, buy or make, every seasoning blend you can make, every seasoning blend on the shelf.

Last summer, my Daddy (a foodservice salesman for about 40 years) told me to try the Cavenders. A restaurant owner told him what to use when Daddy complimented the steak. OMG! It is just that "restaurant taste" I've been looking for! Absolute perfection. I had heard about that stuff and even seen it on the shelf but had never tried it. Years and years wasted! :lol: I don't like it on anything else I've tried, however, only steaks.

Nancy LC Mon, Feb-11-08 22:00

I got some Grill & Chop seasoning at Trader Joe's. I love it on all meat!

Sandollar Mon, Feb-11-08 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Oh Lord, my favorite is Cavender's Greek Seasoning.

Yum! I've had that on lamb before...I never thought to put it on a steak...

PilotGal Tue, Feb-12-08 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovimylife
I have tried montreal, garlic, pepper and salt.
if you stick your finger in the montreal steak seasoning and taste it, you will taste nearly 100% salt.

you could make your own.
or try other lower sodium steak seasonings.

but to lose the weight, you really need to reduce your sodium intake!

try putting your favorite seasonings together, and taste it with your finger.
adjust seasonings until you find the perfect combo that you like.
this is the BEST steak seasoning! ;)

Mama Lu Tue, Feb-12-08 05:51

When I'm grilling I don't use a special seasoning at all. I grind pepper over both sides of the steak, then grate garlic (about 1/2 a large clove per side; do not use fake garlic), and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each side. Brush with melted butter and grill. Absolutely the best! It doesn't work for pan frying because the garlic burns and tastes disgusting.

DrH Tue, Feb-12-08 06:41

Thanks for the FYI here Elle! I am going to check out to see if Publix carries this! I have always opted for the 'liquid' marinades; however, just recently, I tried a receipe I found on here with a rub using chicken legs in the crock pot and it was amazing! Plus, it will save some room in my fridge as I have a ton of opened marinades in there, some of which need to get dumped as they stunk! :lol: Jill

Quote:
Oh Lord, my favorite is Cavender's Greek Seasoning. It's on the spice aisle in most grocery stores, in a white can with a cartoon chef on it with a grill. I have tried them ALL, every marinade you can think of, buy or make, every seasoning blend you can make, every seasoning blend on the shelf.

Last summer, my Daddy (a foodservice salesman for about 40 years) told me to try the Cavenders. A restaurant owner told him what to use when Daddy complimented the steak. OMG! It is just that "restaurant taste" I've been looking for! Absolute perfection. I had heard about that stuff and even seen it on the shelf but had never tried it. Years and years wasted! :lol: I don't like it on anything else I've tried, however, only steaks.

Lovimylife Tue, Feb-12-08 07:43

Hug your dad

Quote:

Thanks Elle, give your dad a hug for me. That is what I am looking for. I will be looking for it on my next grocery trip.

Lovimylife Tue, Feb-12-08 07:45

Low salt version

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
if you stick your finger in the montreal steak seasoning and taste it, you will taste nearly 100% salt.

you could make your own.
or try other lower sodium steak seasonings.

but to lose the weight, you really need to reduce your sodium intake!

try putting your favorite seasonings together, and taste it with your finger.
adjust seasonings until you find the perfect combo that you like.
this is the BEST steak seasoning! ;)

You are so right, I use the lower salt version that we have available. It still has quite a bit though.

Nancy LC Tue, Feb-12-08 09:52

The TJ's spice has no salt.

ShesGG Tue, Feb-12-08 10:23

Quote:

This sounds really good. Do you marinade your steaks? I like them tender and juicy and I'm almost there but not quite with the marinade I use.

ElleH Tue, Feb-12-08 10:43

No, I don't marinade them. I used to, but not since I found this. I have always been able to cook a steak really well, thanks again to Daddy's teaching, but was still searching for the perfect seasoning. Daddy used to season them really well when I was growing up, but I nor he remembers exactly what he did. We know he used worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper, but that's all we can really remember.

Cavenders on Lamb? Now that does sound yummy! usually I marinade my lamb chops in Ken's Steakhouse Northern Italian dressing and grill them. Next time, I'm gonna try the cavenders, since the dressing, while the taste is great, makes them too "wet" and they don't get that good sear that I like before they are done to medium.

Sandollar Tue, Feb-12-08 13:39

I went to buy some Cavender's today and actually read the label...it has MSG in it...which means I shouldn't have it....never had a reaction to it before...but maybe because I used to feel so gross all the time I just didn't notice?

*le sigh*

MizKitty Tue, Feb-12-08 14:02

Oooh.. Reading thru this thread, my hopes just soared then plummeted.

Remind me again why we want to avoid MSG?

Might still try the Cavenders. I've been on the same quest for perfect steak seasoning.

Putting TJ's on the list, too. Nancy, is that all it's called, TJ's spice? or TJ's steak spice?