Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I am starting a modified fat fast today (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=144899)

Jennifer7 Sat, Oct-25-03 10:02

I am starting a modified fat fast today

I will let you know how I am feeling, what I eat, and what results I get.

I have been stalling at the 150-154 range for about 8 weeks.

becky160 Sat, Oct-25-03 20:49

Hi Jennifer!

One question:

Are you metabolically Resistant?
Why are you fat fasting?
Do you know the consequences of a FAT FAST without having Metabolic Resistance?

Note from the Atkins Web site:

Caution: The Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen.

I recommend that before you do something like this, you look at you rfitday account and see what yu have been eating and analize it. Maybe is some food you are eating that is making you stall.

check your measurements. A stall is when you do not lose inches or weight in a given time.

Maybe what you need, is post your menu here for about 3 days so everyone can give you some recommendations

Take care.

Jennifer7 Sat, Oct-25-03 21:03

Thanks Becky, like I said I have stalled for about 8 weeks (no weight loss, no inches lost). I am going to do a modified version as I am not interested in the extreme nature of the Fat Fast as outlined in the Atkins book. I will let people know how it goes.

CindySue48 Sat, Oct-25-03 23:32

Jennifer, I'm curious....how are you modifying it? What are your plans?

Lisa N Sun, Oct-26-03 07:09

Jennifer...what other things have you tried before going to a modified fat fast?
Dr. Atkins didn't recommend doing a fat fast (modified or otherwise) until all other possible stallers had been ruled out and eliminated first without any weight or inches lost.
I noted in some of your other posts that you have become a distributor of sorts for low carb products in your area. Some of those products (specifically those with artificial sweeteners, glycerin or glycerol and sugar alcohols) are known stallers among other things such as nuts, caffeine and dairy.

Jennifer7 Sun, Oct-26-03 10:41

Thanks Lisa, yes I have been eating the flax-o-meal cereal for breakfast every day but my stall started long before that and the cereal hasn't seemed to make a difference one way or the other. I want to kick start things again so I have looked at the fat fast, induction rules and what I like to eat, etc to develop a plan that I can live with for a short time. Perhaps people are getting to hung up on the phrase 'fat fast'. Anyway, here is what I did for day one.

Day One
Weight 154, Waist 33, Bust 38, Hips 40
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs in butter
Snack - 12 unsalted cashews
Lunch - 1/2 avocado with 1/2 can tuna with 2 TBSP of mayo
Dinner - 1 oz of pate plus 1 TBSP of mayo plus .75 oz of genoa salami
Snack - 1 hard boiled egg
Supplements - multi vitamin and flax seed oil

I felt fine. I did feel a little deprived, rather than hungry so it was a psychological thing more than anything. That is why I had the hard-boiled egg for a night time snack.

I drank lots of water, as usual and nothing else.

Day Two
I woke up this morning and weighted 151. While that may seem like positive movement, this is not out of the ordinary. I wake up lots of times and am between 1-4 pounds less or more than the day before, so I will know more by tomorrow.

Jennifer7 Sun, Oct-26-03 10:51

According to Fit Day, my day one menu was just over 1200 calories, 12 net carbs (20 total) and about 77% fat with 56 grams of protein.

Jennifer7 Mon, Oct-27-03 08:31

Day Two
Weight 151, Waist 32, Bust 38, Hips 40
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs in butter
Lunch - 1/2 avocado with 150 grams of shrimp with 2 TBSP of mayo
Dinner - 1 oz of pate plus 1 TBSP of mayo plus .5 oz of havarti cheese
Snack - 2 slices of bacon

I felt fine. In the morning I felt a little hungry but was perfectly fine after lunch.

Day Three Weight - this morning I weighed 149

Kristine Mon, Oct-27-03 10:20

Sounds good so far. :thup:

Jennifer7 Tue, Oct-28-03 08:31

Yes, so far, so good!

Day Three
Weight 149, Waist 32, Bust 37.5, Hips 40
Breakfast: 2 deviled eggs w/2 slices bacon
Snack - none, I didn't have time at work
Lunch - 1/2 avocado with 150 grams of shrimp with 2 TBSP of mayo
Dinner - 1 oz of pate plus 1 TBSP of mayo plus .5 oz of cheddar cheese
Snack - 2 slices of bacon + .5 oz genoa salami

Overall I pretty good. Even though I missed my morning snack I was reallly busy and not hungry. After lunch I was not hungry bet did not feel satisfied (didn't have that full feeling I guess)
I had a headache in the late afternoon, early evening should could have been related to this or to the really stressful day I had at work. I am not sure.

Day Four Weight - this morning I weighed 147

I will do this for 1 or 2 more days and then move to a strict induction.

carol.pino Tue, Oct-28-03 10:10

Been following your posts' and want to give you a :thup: :clap:

That is great and the food choices seem reasonable to follow...mind if I copy :)

I want to get under 130 by Nov. 13th (brother visiting from NY, haven't seen him in 2 yrs. :)...)

This morning I weighed in at 135...

Keep posting and good luck :yay:

Jennifer7 Tue, Oct-28-03 14:09

Carol, by all means, go ahead. I would love to hear how this works for you. I can't get over the fact that I am not hungry. Also, if I look at the foods, I am certainly not starving myself although it would appear as if the dinner is small, the snacks at about 7:00 or 8:00 pm are perfect.

I do want to be careful about what I am doing as some people have raised some warnings so that is why I have decided to just to 4 or 5 days max and then move back to induction with the hope of maintaining the loss and perhaps even losing more, but more slowly.

After such a long stall this is really a welcome change!

carol.pino Tue, Oct-28-03 14:19

I hear you about watching the scale move s...l..o....w..l..y

Can I ask do you make your own pate' and what do you use?

Jennifer7 Tue, Oct-28-03 18:35

No, I don't make my own pate. I get it at the deli section in the grocery store.

Jennifer7 Wed, Oct-29-03 08:41

Day Four
Weight 147, Waist 31.5, Bust 37.5, Hips 39.5
Breakfast: 2 deviled eggs w/2 slices bacon
Lunch - 150 grams of ham with 2 TBSP of mayo
Dinner - 150 grams of ham with 1 TBSP of mayo plus .5 oz of cheddar cheese
Snack - 1 slice of bacon

Day four was fine. I did feel a bit weak or hungry most of the evening.

Day Five Weight - this morning I weighed 149!!

All I can guess is that I am retaining water. I will not eat the ham again. Very frustrating.