Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Fats Vs Carbs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=139053)

Seto Kaiba Wed, Sep-24-03 07:21

Fats Vs Carbs

I am having the biggest problem with cutting back on my fats as I'm re-introducing healthy carbs back into my diet.
I know it's going to take some time to find the right balance, but I don't like the scale jumping up 5 lbs because of it. :rolleyes: (I know, I'm a scale junkie LOL) I've been adding in more spaghetti squash as my carbs and in the 10 carb increments.
Another thing I'm encountering is that I will eat more of the squash than the protien I'm eating with it :confused:
Anyone have any sage advice?

:help:

Kathy54 Sat, Sep-27-03 10:33

What sort of fats are you trying to cut out?
Kathy

Seto Kaiba Sat, Sep-27-03 16:41

Just trying to cut down on my mayo, cream, butter, dressings, etc. I've been using a TON. It's been a struggle trying to lower the fats in my diet to incorportate more healthy carbs. The thing that bothered me the most was the weight gain. :tears:

Lilygirl Sat, Sep-27-03 19:44

Hey Seto! How are ya! Well you know that I have been wondering the same thing. I read a book on general low carb living called "Easy Low Carb Living" by Patricia Haakonson and Harv Haakonson ( www.lowcarblliving.ca ) - in their book they even talk about this forum as being an excellent resource...I was so impressed. I actually loved this book because it summarized all the different low carb plans, said what they liked about each. They weren't touting one plan over another, but offering the choice to their readers. They talk about weight loss, but I loved how they focussed on how they've made this book about "low carb LIVING" not just losing weight. I thought it was an excellent book and read it with two highlighter colours in hand (just like I did Dr. A's book!) You should check it out. Anyway, how this relates to your question (sorry it took me so long to get to the point...I'm a chatterbox.. :lol: I can't help it!) is that they say that we should be encouraged to eat more good fats in our every day diet, BUT avoid the bad fats. So while we keep gradually upping our carbs to find our balance, we can keep eating unsaturated fats, either monounsat. or polyunsat.(which are found in liquid form). Monounsat.'s would be olive oil (as well as olives), canola oil, peanut oil, most nuts, peanut butter, avocados; Polyunsat.'s would be corn oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, cottonseed oil and fish.

Now for the bad fats, they are SATURATED and TRANS FATTY ACIDS. Sat.'s are found in whole milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, red meat, chocolate, coconut, coconut milk & coconut oil. TFA's are found in margarine, shortening, partially hydrogenated veg. oil, many fast foods and most commercial baked goods.

That being said, I think their point is, if we want to keep eating the fats, we should start cutting down on the "bad" fats and keeping up with the "good" fats. Sniff, so that means unfortuately having to cut back on the butter, cheese and creams (and deliciously fatty read meats) that I, and I think you, have grown to love! It makes sense though, but is probably the only healthy way to move into lifetime maintenance to make this a healthy plan for the next 50+ years of our life!

Now, this is only the info I've gained from that book, I encourage anyone else to please offer their 2 cents as well. I love hearing other points of view!
:)
G'night!
Lily

Lilygirl Sat, Sep-27-03 19:46

Wrong Link...

Whoops, I had typed that link wrong, sorry, here it is.

www.lowcarbliving.ca

:bash:
Sorry!
Lily

Seto Kaiba Tue, Sep-30-03 09:14

Thanks for the info and the link, Lily!! I've started transitioning the fatty red meat out. , cutting the cream, cheese, etc. :tears: So far so good!!!
But I won't give up my "fried" chicken thighs w/ skin (yet LOL) ;)