Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Where to start.... - my journey (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109570)

cre8tivgrl Fri, May-30-03 10:28

Where to start.... - my journey

I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. Most of the time I hate it, but I will admit that once I get into a routine I begin to love it.

Here's my dilemma... I gain muscle very, very fast. So fast that when I started jogging (during the low-fat diet days) I gained two pants sizes in less than a month, but wasn't burning the fat that I needed to to make that new muscle look good. I know that had I stuck it out the fat would have eventually come off but as I was closing in on the 3 pants size increase I got frustrated and scared and quit.

People have suggested Pilates for my body type so I bought a tape. It's not a great tape, in fact, it's mostly just an aerobics tape. I am thinking of purchasing the Windsor Pilates set. I hear great things about it. So I would love for some feedback if you have it. I also used to own the Firm tortoise and hare set. I remember finding it hard at first but really enjoyed it after awhile. I might pop over to the exercise section and see what I can find.

A little more about my daily routine. I get quite a bit of general exercise at work. I am a server in a busy restaurant. One waitress with a pedometer walked a little over 20 miles one busy Sunday. It's not constant, but it can be up to 20 minutes of steady movement 2-3 times per shift. Also the vacuum is a large, hard to manuver machine that takes real muscles to work. I actually work up a sweat. I figure that coupled with the cleaning is similar in exercise to gardening. Not nearly enough, but a good start.

My goals are small to start. I'd like to do 15 minutes of extra cardio, 4 days a week for the summer. This might come from swimming and nightly walks/bike rides. I'd also like to do 15 minutes 3 days a week of some sort of strength training. Until I can purchase the Windsor set, I will probably do the floor work in my current Pilates tape, coupled with some upper body strength training with bands or light weights. Whatever is cheap. I don't need lower body right now as the cardio will tone and build that area without any help.

My long term goal , other than great looking muscles, is to hike to Phantom Ranch (at the bottom of the Grand Canyon) on our trip next year. I could probably do it now, but with great strain. I want to enjoy it!! And both, body that I love and Phantom Ranch are on my list of life goals to do by 35 (I'm 32 now).

Anyway.... advice and help is always appreciated.

dex Sat, May-31-03 23:43

If you want to try out Pilates without spending the money on Windsor just yet, I'd suggest a copy of Pilates for Dummies. Amazon has the video for $9.99 and the DVD for $11.24 and I've seen comparable prices at Target...also, I've run across copies of it at used bookstores for less. (Actually, I've seen copies of it floating around on various filesharing networks like Kazza...but you didn't hear that from me.)

Good luck. :)

cre8tivgrl Mon, Jun-02-03 13:47

Thanks! I might have to check it out. :)

I spring cleaned my house, top to bottom, yesterday and today. Now I can't move, I am so sore. But the house looks great!! Perhaps a swim this afternoon will get my cardio in and ease my muscles a little.

cre8tivgrl Thu, Jun-05-03 09:14

I borrowed a friend's Windsor Pilates set. She is on vacation so I have the whole weekend to try it out and see if I love it.

I watched the Basic's DVD last night so I am ready to start the 20 minute workout today. I'll let you know what I think.

cre8tivgrl Fri, Jun-06-03 12:44

I have been bad about starting this as regularly as I wanted. It's been 100 degrees for the last two day and I am a baby about the heat. Don't get me wrong. I love the heat, but I have a hard time working out in it.

I am going to get a swim suit this afternoon and will go swimming with the boys. I try to tread water in the deep end for most of the time that I am in the pool to burn those extra calories and use my muscles. The pool is too small to really swim laps, but I will stroke through several times. Not cardio but definately movement.

cre8tivgrl Sat, Jun-07-03 15:59

Well, I actually got in the pool with the boys and played ball and swam. Not hard core cardio but movement none the less... and a little sun. ;)

cre8tivgrl Mon, Jun-09-03 11:50

Still going in that non-traditional exercise phase.

Saturday night we went down to the Rose Festival. We parked 4 blocks away and walked, plus all the walking through the carnival and along the waterfront. After all was said and done, we were over 10 blocks from the truck. So it was a fairly good amount of movement. :)

Sunday I cleaned at work. We have an inspection coming up so everyone is in deep-clean mode. I was exhausted after work. And my muscles feel it today so I know it counted for something.

Today will be more deep cleaning, but not much time for anything else.

cre8tivgrl Mon, Jul-07-03 13:16

We went and played lasertag yesterday. It was good movement. They don't allow running, but with all the walking fast and moving and ducking, I was winded and my heart rate was up there. I actually broke a sweat.

We played 2- 20 minute games.

cre8tivgrl Thu, Jul-24-03 12:56

I am starting Oprah's 10,000 steps program. I'd like to buy a pedometer today, but don't know where to look for one. Target maybe? There is a Gart Sports in the same shopping center. They should have one. They sell on the net for about $10 so I am hoping that I can find one for about that same price.

cre8tivgrl Fri, Jul-25-03 12:27

I didn't get to Target to see if they have pedometers yet. Maybe today. I walk a lot in my profession. I've heard other managers tout that they walk up to 20 miles in a busy shift. I'd really like the pedometer to see.

I did, however, do a good share of weeding in the garden and will probably do a little more today.

cre8tivgrl Tue, Jul-29-03 13:19

Again, a lot of exercise with my daily activities. Sunday we went to the ocean and walked and walked and walked. I definately got my 10,000 steps in. Yesterday I spring cleaned our bedroom and today we are painting.

It's movement.

cre8tivgrl Thu, Jul-31-03 11:06

Other than my walking at work, I did have any extra activity yesterday. Today I need to do some pretty heavy gardening. That should be good for a small workout. :)

cre8tivgrl Thu, Aug-28-03 12:57

Alright... I broke down and purchased the Firm tapes and stepper. I did the cardio workout on Saturday and the ab workout on Tuesday. I need to do the cardio workout again today, but it is not going to fit into my day, so I am going to do the ab workout instead and do the cardio tomorrow morning.

So far, I love it. The cardio is tough. I was really sore for a few days afterward. The ab video is another story. I did it along on the advanced level and was surprised when the workout was over. No real muscle fatigue and no real soreness the next day. Perhaps I'll push it a little more today.

cre8tivgrl Fri, Sep-05-03 18:50

Still firming it up. :D I am not doing it by their schedule yet, but I am doing it three times a week.

cre8tivgrl Sun, Aug-29-04 15:39

Just checking in. No clearance from the Dr. yet to do much activity. In fact, she ripped me for vaccuuming. :( So I've just been trying to get out to where I need to move... like Walmart. I'll bet I walked 2 miles this weekend just there. :D

I see her tomorrow morning. I'd like the go ahead to start basic pilates. We'll see.