Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   A1c TEST--how LC affects the test (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481479)

Ms Arielle Mon, Oct-29-18 11:07

A1c TEST--how LC affects the test

My A1c recently jumped up to 6.3 ( as reported by staff over the phone) and this rather surprised me. Especially as earlier in the week the doc reported that my spring 2018 was a 5.4 which also startled me for how low it was. Happy of course, as I was trying to move down from a 5.7 previously but these radical ups and downs obviously has me worried as I have been truer to LC over the last 12 months than any other time in my life.

How accruate is the testing for A1c???

Say if I am lowe carbing, and binge on one biscotti for 2 days, then get the test, is that enough to send the number soaring??

What is my best method for checking my blood sugars at home??

Nancy LC Mon, Oct-29-18 11:23

One slip shouldn't change the A1c much at all since it is really a measure of your average blood sugar over 90 days. Is it accurate? I think I remember reading that low carbers have longer living red blood cells so as they age they accumulate more glycation.

My friend is a Type II and he had an A1c of 9 and he finally started keto and his A1c is down to 5. I tried years and years ago to get him to try it!

Ms Arielle Mon, Oct-29-18 11:36

Nancy I am so glad to see back on the forum!

I too tried for a year to get 400 pound friend on LC; nutritionist nixxed it until about 2 months ago. Whoot! 40 lb off already.

ok-- then I just need to better track food intake. ANd add more 24/1 and see if I can fast 48 hours.

Ms Arielle Mon, Oct-29-18 11:38

Nancy , another thought, that means a low carb diet would make the A1c HIGHER for those on a keto type diet than other people depending on how the test is done.

bluesinger Mon, Oct-29-18 12:20

Nancy, do you remember where you read about the red blood cells living longer? Asking because pretty consistently my red blood cell count is high, but there's nothing wrong with me so doctors don't know what gives. Blood volume isn't high enough to warrant them taking it out. My PCP is open minded so it could put her mind at rest if I could offer some stats about LC and longer-living RBC.

Nancy LC Mon, Oct-29-18 12:50

It might be second hand knowledge, sorry to say. I can do some googling.

Nancy LC Mon, Oct-29-18 12:52

Well gosh... didn't expect to find it so quickly! https://chriskresser.com/why-hemogl...eliable-marker/

Now, I must say that your cells are probably not living longer all of a sudden, so examine the diet.

bluesinger Mon, Oct-29-18 13:26

Thanks, Nancy. My A1C last March was 5.1, while my RBC and Hemocrit have both been raised for at least the past 2 years. My bone marrow must work overtime.

Ms Arielle Mon, Oct-29-18 15:17

Quote:
Researchers found that the lifetime of hemoglobin cells of diabetics turned over in as few as 81 days, while they lived as long as 146 days in non-diabetics.

Quote:
The result is that people with normal blood sugar often test with unexpectedly high A1c levels. This confused me early in my practice. I was testing blood sugar in three different ways for all new patients: fasting blood glucose, post-meal blood sugar (with a glucometer) and A1c. And I was surprised to see people with completely normal fasting and post-meal blood sugars, and A1c levels of >5.4%.

Quote:
On the other hand, if someone is diabetic, their red blood cells live shorter lives than non-diabetics. This means diabetics and those with high blood sugar will test with falsely low A1c levels

From the link above Chris Kresser

For me this could mean I need to do a better job watching the carbs, or even the protein, to drive down the A1c and shoot for under 5.4 ...... but I am already pretty low carb.

Ms Arielle Mon, Oct-29-18 15:25

How would blood donation every 8 weeks affect the A1c??

Since this test is based on a percent, the push to replace those blood cells would create false number too. Right?

teaser Sat, Nov-03-18 12:28

Quote:
How Accurate is the A1C Test?
The A1C test has been standardized by the National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program (NGSP). In the past, the A1C test was not used to diagnosis diabetes because there were many different types of A1C tests and the results could vary. The A1C is now standardized, and the acceptable variance can be up to 0.5% from what your actual result is. So if you result is 6.5% your actual reading could be anywhere from 6-7%. The A1c test is only one measure of your overall blood sugar control. You will also have a good idea of how well your diabetes is controlled by your daily blood sugar checks and how consistent you are with your medications and lifestyle interventions.

The "big jumps" you're reporting are actually not huge when you consider the acceptable variance. I don't think you can really form anything but a false pattern from the numbers so far, none of which are diabetic.

Ms Arielle Sat, Nov-03-18 13:46

I will add this, My doc is concerned and she also didn't like my total cholesterol at 215.

She gets me in a tizzzz unnecessarily.

I need the book Undoctored.

Ms Arielle Sat, Nov-03-18 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Nancy, do you remember where you read about the red blood cells living longer? Asking because pretty consistently my red blood cell count is high, but there's nothing wrong with me so doctors don't know what gives. Blood volume isn't high enough to warrant them taking it out. My PCP is open minded so it could put her mind at rest if I could offer some stats about LC and longer-living RBC.

Ran into this . Chris kessler,s web site most likely.

A1c is too high for a diabetic as the life of red blood cell is longer than cells of nondiabetic.

Ms Arielle Sat, Nov-03-18 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The "big jumps" you're reporting are actually not huge when you consider the acceptable variance. I don't think you can really form anything but a false pattern from the numbers so far, none of which are diabetic.

I'm questioning her knowledge. She was concerned the 5.4 was too high......unless I misunderstood her.

All online sources put diabetes inthe 6.5 range. Yet the big Whigs with a stake in this put this bar much higher 7-8.

MY goal is to get it lower and lower.

LCer4Life Sat, Nov-03-18 23:11

Ms Arielle, I lived at 6500 feet and my RBC count was always higher than the ‘range’. I’d have to explain to Drs.