Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Best Of (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27149)

Marlaine Thu, Dec-06-01 23:58

A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls

I'd like to make a list of foods that are often the cause of a stall or that might make us lose more slowly. Please contribute to this list I'll compile the results and then post them for everyone to see. It's a list that I'd like to have because I think it would help me to remember which foods to avoid or eat with caution.

I'll start it off by listing one I try to avoid.

Processed meats - sausage and lunch meat; because of the salt, preservatives and hidden carb fillers. I'm amazed that so many list among their ingredients - sugar. I'd like to be able to buy slices of roast beef in the deli, but I always find it too salty.

Final list (so far):
Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds

tamarian Fri, Dec-07-01 00:05

Caffine and nicotine for the insulin resistant.

Wa'il

EllieEats Fri, Dec-07-01 06:12

Too much bacon ( or other salty meats)

Too much cheese

Ellie :wave:

Babs Fri, Dec-07-01 06:20

Beer.

wawtigress Fri, Dec-07-01 06:54

salty bacon

i'm new and trying to find a dr adkins group. where do i go? but what i do for the bacon problem , i put a little water to cover bacon in pan and bring to boil , you'll see the salt rise to the top. i pour this off and rinse one more time and then put on paper towels to cook in microwave. i also like the macadamia nuts but find to salty . i wash in a colander well then put on a cookie sheet just long enough to dry . they're great and i don't miss the salt at all.wawtigress :wave:

DeeSinn Fri, Dec-07-01 08:20

For me, nuts, definitely nuts. The only ones I really like are pistachios and when I've had a bad day (which I've had a couple this week) I find myself resorting to old behaviors and peeling off those shells and scarfing down two cups - definitely more carbs than I need. I use to scarf down a bag of tostitos so I guess this is an improvement but should still find a different stress reliever.

BTW - I see a lot of people commenting about salt. I know this can be a problem but how are each of you able to tell its a problem for you? Can you feel yourself bloated or are you just guessing you're retaining water or what? Just curious because I've never noticed a problem with high salt intake. I don't eat too much bacon or processed meats usually (maybe once a week) but last night I killed a whole pack of bacon on my own. I trimmed the fat off though (yea yea yea - I know I CAN eat it I just don't like it). No problems that I can see. Just curious as to what other people experience.

KASSY Fri, Dec-07-01 09:16

Nicotine

Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this. Can you explain this further, and how much of a real impact does it have?

PenclPushr Fri, Dec-07-01 09:16

Anything processed will automatically stall me. I am very insulin resistant. I have a bad thyroid and the doc can never ever quite get my medication on the level that it needs to be...so, I find it extreeeeeemely hard to loose. :(

It is easier to say what I can eat, rather than what I can't. ;)

The best foods for me to eat are natural, non-processed meats and lc veggies, plain, with only no salt and pepper and perhaps a little spices that are sugar free. Lots of water.

So, to keep from going nuts with this lack of variety, I will usually have a few days of the week that I have a few tablespoons of lc dressing and maybe just a sprinkle of cheese and maybe one caffeine-free diet soda (usually I only have the sodas once every couple of weeks).

I have found that, when I get on maintenance. I will probably be able to eat regular Atkins low carb induction type foods. Yeah! Can't wait!! :yum: That will be awhile though.

Natrushka Fri, Dec-07-01 09:38

Re: Nicotine

Quote:
Originally posted by KASSY
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this. Can you explain this further, and how much of a real impact does it have?

Kassy, from the Eades of "Protein Power"

Quote:
How do smoking and smoking cessation affect the diet?

Smoking-particularly cigarette smoking-promotes the development of insulin resistance with all its attendant problems: obesity, lipid disturbances, atherosclerosis, hypertension, even diabetes. There is absolutely no reason to smoke, so why risk it? Many smokers fear weight gain when they stop, and indeed, stopping cigarette smoking causes a transient drop in metabolic drive (probably about 10%) which makes weight loss/maintenance a little tougher for a while. Coupling this diet with your efforts to stop smoking makes your job easier-through improved insulin sensitivity and better magnesium balance.

You can read more here .

HTH,
Nat

gwilson38 Fri, Dec-07-01 10:42

artificial sweetners for me. And i find if I have something with it...then I tend to be far hungrier and crave more.

Karen Fri, Dec-07-01 10:56

Protein bars. Low carb food products that imitate high carb food. Eating a wide combination of food in one day. Alcohol. Peanut and other nut butters. Too many pork rinds.

Karen

jesdorka Fri, Dec-07-01 11:21

foods i try to avoid

processed foods except canned tuna and salmon
salted butter
anything with flour, sugar or AS
peanuts
anything that says DIET,LOW CAL or LOW FAT on the label

tamarian Fri, Dec-07-01 12:48

Re: Nicotine

Quote:
Originally posted by KASSY
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this.

I was surprised as well when I saw that link Nat posted.

Wa'il

Natrushka Fri, Dec-07-01 14:36

Re: Re: Nicotine

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
I was surprised as well when I saw that link Nat posted.

Seems I'm just full o' surprizes today ;) The Protein Power FAQ is something I frequent and refer to often; specially when I don't have my book handy.

N

EllieEats Sat, Dec-08-01 06:06

THANKS WAWTIGRESS!!!

This is what I love about this sight!! I am always picking up tips that I would otherwise not find out!! :D
With a lb of bacon in the freezer, I can now do a thaw and have it again once in a while-- great!!
Ellie :wave: