Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Well Hello again (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481202)

jacquihay Sun, Sep-09-18 03:54

Well Hello again

Like many of us, I gave Atkins a go many years ago. Just been looking back and I think my first entry was 2004. How I wish I was back there now. I'm 50 now and have gained all the weight I lost. I did slimming world a couple of years ago and again lost some, then gained it again and found some more. This year I was on SSRI's for about 6 months, and that hasnt helped, so gained a little more. I hate looking at myself in the mirror. My eldest daughter has just qualified as a nurse and bullied me into getting bloods done. So that was the nudge I needed. I knew what the nurse would say 'loose some weight', so after having the tests decided Low Carb or Keto it was.

Well that was a month ago. I have lost about 4pounds only and am disappointed. I have been really strict with what I eat, but never get into ketosis. I've read all the blogs to see what I'm doing wrong, but cant pinpoint anything. I even bought a blood glucose monitor which measures keytones, and it never records above 0.5. In fact only the other morning on waking I took a sample and it only measured 0.1. I had been really strict the previous evening too.

To top all this my bloods came back and I'm now classified as Pre-diabetic. Again I shouldnt be surprised as my dad is Type 2 and only found out about 5 years ago (74 years old).

I'm looking for some like minded members to befriend and offer some support. Not sure why I'm struggling the way I am. It worked before and everything I read it should be working now.

Thanks

Jacqui :help:

cotonpal Sun, Sep-09-18 07:18

Jacqui,

Welcome to the forum. People will be more able to help if you tell us exactly what you are eating on a daily basis. Do you know about the dietdoctor.com site? There is a lot of excellent information on that site. If you haven't been there already I would recommend you go and look around.

Ms Arielle Sun, Sep-09-18 07:49

Many of us are pre-diabetic, and you are not alone.

WHat I am learning is that fat is my best friend to find ketosis, as well as dropping carbs down low.

Im sure if you post your foods and quantities members will offer suggestions.

LCer4Life Sun, Sep-09-18 09:04

I had also done Atkins in 2002 and joined this forum. I lost 20 pounds. I stayed on the Induction all the time 20g of carbs. I had bought Ketosis Sticks and tested regularly and they never showed I reached Ketosis. I also found that if increased my carb intake I would stall or gain. My blood work improved immensely - enough that it even convinced my Dr. that low carb worked. Do some people have a harder time obtaining Ketosis?
Jacquihay you will succeed. I am so happy to have found this group again. I’m just new and re-joined a few days ago.

Blue Ruby Sun, Sep-09-18 09:33

Welcome Jacqui.

It is so disappointing when you put effort into something and don;t see the results you were hoping for. I second Jean's post -- there is great information all over this forum!

I guess I would ask if you are following a specific plan - it sounds like you have been doing reading on the web, who do you follow? I checked out your journal but you haven't outlined your plan or approach there yet. I assume you are recording food and carbs somewhere since you say you are bring "strict" -- if you use your journal to share basic meals, others can offer suggestions.

Sometimes the loss is slow. I never am in ketosis in the strips, but i have lost 25 pounds in 21 months...slow but hey, I'm getting older anyway! I can be older while more healthy and slowly losing weight...or the opposite (and we know where that leads).

It's only been a month. Sometimes it helps to stick with it by thinking about other benefits you are getting. Sleep better? Less brain fog/mental fatigue? are your clothes fitting better than 4 pounds would usually imply? Do you have more energy or motivation or interest in things?

I hope this helps. Keep reading around the forum, maybe take a look at "the best of..." for some good discussions.
:) ;) :)

jacquihay Sun, Sep-09-18 12:10

Hi all

Thank you all for replying.

Diet Doctor, yes I signed up to the site and followed the plan for two weeks, and not lost a pound.

The fat eating does scare me a little, but after the recent blood tests I know that my cholesterol levels are ok (4.2) so I should be ok with fat. I have tried adding coconut oil to my diet and have some MCT oil which I have struggled to tolerate. When cooking I sneek butter in when my hubbys not watching (hes as thin as a rake but avoids fat).

A typical daily menu for me would be:

Breakfast - coffee (with splash of milk), scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado or couple of slices of bacon.

Lunch - 2 egg omelette with cheese ham and mushroom.

Dinner - well tonight is a chicken breast, stuffed with brie, and wrapped in bacon, with spinach.

During the day I drink water ( a good 2 litres if not more) and a cup of tea in the afternoon (with a splash of milk)

I do have a small glass of wine (150ml red) with dinner. but try to limit myself.

Other than the above the only other thing is a decaf coffee before bed.

Thanks

Jacqui

Blue Ruby Sun, Sep-09-18 13:05

I'm no expert, but to me that seems fine.
Tweaks might be --
- other fats instead of bacon (i find the salt or nitrates or something in it holds me back, same with dried meats for me),
- cream or coconut oil instead of milk in tea/coffee (it took me a while to get used it cream in my tea but now i love it)
- maybe more salad veg -- Dr Atkins recc 2 cups of salad veg at day and I find if i don't eat that I do stall -- it's "more carbs" BUT only in salad veg

some ppl avoid dairy entirely for a week to see if it stalls them.

I find that chicken thighs with skin, pork butt steaks with the fat, and well marbled beef all are good options for dinner...but chicken breast with brie and bacon should be equally rich and, may i say, YUM!

And are you eating enough? A two-egg omelette is different than a 4 egg omelette ... my experience is that 4 eggs is better, don't be afraid to eat (if you are hungry)... YMMV.

mostly i would say...just keep going, you are doing great! 4 pounds in two week, i thought it was a month! Imagine 4 pounds of butter - that's substantial!

AND read this...why the scales can lie...it helps me stay the course
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=346933

Blue Ruby Sun, Sep-09-18 19:10

PS -

Alcohol doesn't exactly put you out of ketosis, but if you drink alcohol your body will turn to that to burn first. So you are effectively reducing the number of hours per day that you are in ketosis/your body is burning fat (this is not a scientific description but it is my understanding. I could be wrong. Others here know way more about the science than i do.)

I find that literally one glass (4-5 oz), twice a week is ok. But it slows weight loss down, and if it's more than that the pace slows to a stop. SO that could be it? Skip the wine for 10 days and see what happens?

Good luck!

JEY100 Mon, Sep-10-18 03:11

Welcome back, Jacquie

Are you taking any medications now? Even some OTC interfere with weight loss, SSRI do. Some others:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311

Are you only eating when hungry? The benefit of being in ketosis is that hunger is reduced, so you may be able to eat within a reduced time period. IF is something to consider adding that may help if weight loss is slow.

And sad to say, the wine should go if you want to lose weight. Not only is it 3-4g carbs and an extra 125 calories, but as Blue Ruby explained oxidative priority, that alcohol is burned first before fat and keeping you from ketosis. DietDoctor's two week challenge is based on Dr Westman's clinic Diet which reads, "ALCOHOL: At first, avoid alcohol consumption on this diet. At a later point in time, as weight loss and dietary patterns become well established, alcohol in moderate quantities, if low in carbohydrates, may be added back into the diet". Avoid means none until you are well along, not just in ketosis, but an established fat-burner.

Dr Eades has other reasons why LC is "harder" the second time around https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/ , the most common is "forgetting" the induction rules and adding in LC extras from later in the plans, like the wine.

Your meals look good! DietDoctor recently added more Keto Guides and recipes to help create simple meal plans to keep on track. That website is a wealth of information.
All the best,

Luckyk26 Mon, Sep-10-18 12:16

Hi! We are in similar situations as we both lost weight and gained it all back - even are stats are similar. I know for me that wouldn't be nearly enough fat. I started 6 days ago and have lost 9 pounds. Although I know that a lot of that is the fact that I barely ate over the weekend so once I do eat I'll probably go up a little again. The last time I had this way of eating I started as Atkins, but found along the way that I feel better and respond better on keto. The more fat I eat the more likely I am to lose weight. You will find your rhythm - just don't give up! Good Luck!

jacquihay Wed, Sep-12-18 14:18

Thanks all

Janet, no I came off Zoloft about 2 months ago. I had some side effects from withdrawal but those have settled now.

i am just 50 so not sure if pre-menopause would have any bearing on why I'm struggling. Hormones work in mysterious ways.

I have keytosis symptoms: I have reduced appetite, am thirsty and my mouth tastes like I have been sucking copper coins. I can even smell metal on my skin, but nothing on the Ketostiks.

I have a blood monitor and my results over the past few days are:

Date Time Parameter~ Measurement value HCT keytone
12/09/18 07:44 Glucose 5.9 mmol/L 37% 0.3
11/09/18 05:29 Glucose 5.7 mmol/L 28%
10/09/18 11:44 Glucose 6.2 mmol/L 30% 0.5
09/09/18 08:10 Glucose 6.9 mmol/L 40%
08/09/18 16:49 Glucose 6.0 mmol/L 40% 0.1

I havent had the glass of wine for the past 3 days (since 09/09).

Thanks

Jacqui

jacquihay Wed, Sep-12-18 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome back, Jacquie

Are you taking any medications now? Even some OTC interfere with weight loss, SSRI do. Some others:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311

Are you only eating when hungry? The benefit of being in ketosis is that hunger is reduced, so you may be able to eat within a reduced time period. IF is something to consider adding that may help if weight loss is slow.

And sad to say, the wine should go if you want to lose weight. Not only is it 3-4g carbs and an extra 125 calories, but as Blue Ruby explained oxidative priority, that alcohol is burned first before fat and keeping you from ketosis. DietDoctor's two week challenge is based on Dr Westman's clinic Diet which reads, "ALCOHOL: At first, avoid alcohol consumption on this diet. At a later point in time, as weight loss and dietary patterns become well established, alcohol in moderate quantities, if low in carbohydrates, may be added back into the diet". Avoid means none until you are well along, not just in ketosis, but an established fat-burner.

Dr Eades has other reasons why LC is "harder" the second time around http://<font color="Teal">https://p...w-carb-dieters/ , the most common is "forgetting" the induction rules and adding in LC extras from later in the plans, like the wine.

Your meals look good! DietDoctor recently added more Keto Guides and recipes to help create simple meal plans to keep on track. That website is a wealth of information.
All the best,

wow, just read one of the comments and a lot of it rings true, high anxiety, heart pounding. I thought it was just high stress, which I was struggling to control, but it could be electrolite balance. Diet Doctor did recommend the bone broth? bouillion to help this which I did ignore. Might try this during the day.

Im going on a break at the end of next week so I hope to help to reduce my stress levels and relax. Unfortunately holidaying in the Loire may lead to an occasional glass of wine, but I'll have to try and limit myself

Thanks

Jacqui