Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Very Grumpy!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480754)

Lynchinato Tue, Jul-10-18 17:19

Very Grumpy!!

I'm on day 3 of Atkins and I'm not hungry at all. However, I am extremely grumpy, moody, have zero patience and I'm having a hard time concentrating. Are there any solutions for this? I assume my brain is unhappy without carbs to feed it.

Ms Arielle Tue, Jul-10-18 19:07

How many carbs are you eating??

Some people need a carb to keep the brain happy. Im one of those.

I take 5 HTP which is a seratonin booster, or eat a carby food at one meal.

The trick is to find the balance. Be willing to find the balance so yu can have the best of both.

BillyHW Tue, Jul-10-18 21:42

It's because you're only on day 3 and your body and brain are screaming out for carbs. Don't feed them carbs.

For me it got somewhat better on day 5 and then much better after 2 weeks.

I'm finding that the key is being distracted by work or other kind of business so you don't have time to think about food.

I think you're suffering from addiction withdrawal like I was, which explains the grumpiness.

Ms Arielle Tue, Jul-10-18 21:58

Good point Billy. I got ahead of myself.

Lulumae Wed, Jul-11-18 02:43

The brain doesn't need carbs to feed it. However, it is maybe wired to make us want them. The best way to stop wanting carbs is to eat as few of them as you can. If you are into the science of all this, there are some interesting threads on this Forum. If you just want to lose weight and feel OK ditto. This Forum caters for anyone interested in following a low carb way of eating. I wish you all the best.

Lulumae Wed, Jul-11-18 02:52

Sorry, I forgot to add that it is important what you DO eat. You can eat the foods allowed on induction to satiety, for the most part, I believe. However, it's important to eat enough fat as well as protein and to drink enough water.

JEY100 Wed, Jul-11-18 03:13

A common side effect, irritatability is part and parcel of what is known as the Keto flu. Be sure you have enough water and salt may help with this too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#side-effects

teaser Wed, Jul-11-18 07:07

Have you considered the possibility that you're surrounded by &*$#~'s?

Seriously though, a few off days can happen. Get your salt. Half-salt that has some potassium might be a good idea, too. Also a magnesium supplement is a good idea. I'm over a decade in, and I'll still get occasional stomach muscle cramping with exertion sometimes, if I don't make sure about getting in the half-salt. I put a little in my coffee, plus in the morning I'll put about a teaspoon in a glass of water with a packet of stevia/erythritol and take little sips through the day at will. I find if I do it without the sweetener, I'll end up forgetting to sip.

DancinGurl Wed, Jul-11-18 07:37

so true about the possibility of being surrounded by ...!
Good laughs always help, in my experience.
And bacon!! Never underestimate bacon!

thud123 Fri, Jul-13-18 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchinato
I'm on day 3 of Atkins and I'm not hungry at all. However, I am extremely grumpy, moody, have zero patience and I'm having a hard time concentrating. Are there any solutions for this? I assume my brain is unhappy without carbs to feed it.

Solution is time. You will feel better and then worse, and then better again. It comes and goes. Perhaps it's not related to diet at all, teaser might be right - just irritation of surroundings. Find a nice, cool, quite spot to sit for a while :)

Lynchinato Sat, Jul-14-18 07:44

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Time has been an important factor. Feeling much better yesterday and today.

ferrygirl Sun, Jul-15-18 01:21

Yay! Glad to hear you are feeling better!

LCree Wed, Jul-18-18 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchinato
Day 3 and 4 were VERY bad for me. Day 5 I woke up feeling like a brand new person. I’m on day 9 now. Hang in there!