Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Kristine: Diary of a Lazy Exercise Hater (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48895)

Kristine Thu, Jun-27-02 08:23

Kristine: Diary of a Lazy Exercise Hater

The story so far:

After nearly two months of neglecting exercise, I am *noticably* out of shape again. It's funny how time flies, I can't believe it's really been that long. Well, no problem: just time to get back on the wagon.

My official BFL start date will be as soon as I get the pictures taken. In the meantime, I'm exercising, anyway.

Let's see how well I can do this without joining a gym. I don't do gyms.

Monday: lower body.
Tuesday: moderate cardio, since my legs were killing me!
Wednesday: oops. I was busy all day; neglected to do anything. I was still sore, anyway.
Today: upper body.

fern2340 Thu, Jun-27-02 09:16

Hey Kristine!
Welcome to the gym logs!! :) Glad you started one to track your exercising progress.

Best of luck with your BFL challenge!
Linda

Kristine Fri, Jun-28-02 12:09

Thanks a lot! I'll probably flip through everyone else's later this weekend. Got some shopping to do today.

I tried to get BFL out of the library, but someone already had it, so I put it on hold.

So today: did my lower body routine. I used to be able to do 30 squats easily with no soreness, and today they were getting sore after about 15. Blah!

Walked for about 15 minutes each way to and from the bank. It's hot out there today!

Now I'm off to a drug store on the other side of town that does free body fat testing on a Tana machine. I've heard that they're not too reliable, but it's better than nothing.

Kristine Fri, Jun-28-02 16:17

I Got My Starting Numbers!

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 137.8
<B>Fat %: 30.5</b>
Fat Mass: 42.0 lbs
Lean Mass: 95.8 lbs
BMR: 1444 cal (exactly and precicely, I'm sure. ;) )
Desirable Fat % Range: 17-24%

Note that despite a BMI of 21.6, I have a lot of fat. I have a very small frame and I'm in poor shape.

<b>My Goals For BFL:</b>
- to feel stronger overall; not struggling when lifting things, etc.
- to improve my cardiovascular endurance
- to maintain a healthy eating plan: low-to-moderate carb intake
- to get into the desirable fat % range and increase my lean body mass.

AngelaR Fri, Jun-28-02 19:15

Welcome aboard Kristine.

Body for life has a web site..you might be able to pick up some info from there while you are waiting for the book.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
http://www.2-fit.com/video/index.html

These 2 sites have weight training exercises with video clips

Kristine Fri, Jun-28-02 19:43

Thanks, Angela! I'll check those out. Heh heh... it's taken me quite a while just to sift through all of Nat's great info on the stickies. :D I've been browsing the BFL site, too. Some of those people's pictures are truly amazing!

Kristine Sat, Jun-29-02 12:58

GAH! This morning, I did 20 min of interval cardio. Now I need a nap!

It's worth noting that I started taking glutamine yesterday, and I'm not at all sore: not even after doing a lower body workout and then dancing in uncomfortable shoes last night. :)

Kristine Sun, Jun-30-02 12:21

Can it be that after less than a week, I already have more energy? Today, after a tiring UBW, I completely cleaned my kitchen, including a re-organizion of the "brewery," which, until today, was a giant pile of junk on and around my kitchen table.

...and it's only 2:30 pm. I'm off to the store now to buy some fireworks for my Inner Child. :D My parents never let us do 'em when I was a kid, so tomorrow, I want to set some off for the heck of it. There's a giant parking lot behind our apartment, so...

Kristine Mon, Jul-01-02 05:55

This would normally be my cardio day, but I'm not doing anything drastic today. I'm in a military band and we have two parades today - one in a few hours (I'm getting ready to leave) and one at night. This is going to be the hottest day of the year - smog alert, high humidity, etc. We're going to be hurtin'. :(

fern2340 Mon, Jul-01-02 20:17

I hope all went ok with the heat today! It was very hot here too!

Glad you're feeling more energized already!!

take care,
Linda

Kristine Tue, Jul-02-02 14:08

Thanks! It was brutal. One of our guys had to be taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion. :( Not fun.

It was a three-shower day. :thdown:

So I did my LBWO today, then went to the mall to grab a copy of BFL. Think I'll go read now.

Kristine Wed, Jul-03-02 09:53

Y'know, I hate the *thought* of doing cardio, but once I'm doing it, I don't mind it at all. It's only 20 minutes. Today, I didn't want to stop! I cooled down for a good 10 minutes dancing to my music. Music is the key, for me. Makes it a lot more bearable.

I came up a minute short today, but I definitely hit a 10 at the end.

Bleh. Need a shower. :)

fern2340 Wed, Jul-03-02 12:28

Hey there!
So sorry to hear about one of your bandmates needing to go to the hospital! The weatherman here actually said yesterday that if you work outside, to call out! We are having a bot of a heat wave and it is definitely a three-shower day. Today it's supposed to be almost 100 degrees!!

And I hear ya on the music..... it makes so much of a difference for me when I am doing my cardio!

Take care,
Linda

Kristine Thu, Jul-04-02 08:38

Thanks: he was fine, but it's practically gauranteed on days like that that at least one person is going to "go down," as we call it. :( Happened to me once. You start to feel sick, then your body turns to jello, and everything turns blue. Not fun.

Anyway. I forgot to do my UBWO before my shower today, and I don't want to get sweaty before I go out job-huntin', so it'll have to wait 'till later. No problem. Actually, my arms are a tad sore from playing pool last night! :) I didn't know that was a "workout." :D

Kristine Thu, Jul-04-02 16:31

Man, my arms are s-o-r-e! I think it's from my cardio yesterday: I was holding (very light) dumbbells, and I guess I was swinging' 'em around a little too much. So my UBWO for today was just abs and triceps - the only spots that don't hurt.

fern2340 Fri, Jul-05-02 06:24

Kristine-
Are you taking any l-glutamine? It helps so much w/ muscle soreness!

Kristine Fri, Jul-05-02 08:41

Affirmative, but I'm not taking enough. I made the mistake of buying pills. So I take 'em anyway, and once they're gone (and payday comes around) I'll get a bucket o' powder. The other day, I took about six of them by putting them through the cheese grater into my shake. :D That worked. (It's only 500 mg per dose.)

Kristine Fri, Jul-05-02 08:44

Today was cardio day. One problem I'm running into is that it's hard for me to get to a level 6 or higher intensity without jumping around and hurting muscles that are already sore from the previous day's WO. Not a problem on days after an UBWO, but tricky after LBWO. I'm trying to find ways of getting that intensity without straining muscles.

I guess I'm in better cardio shape than I thought I was. :)

Kristine Sat, Jul-06-02 10:45

LBWO today. My calves were a little sore, but not bad.

Kristine Sun, Jul-07-02 10:37

Yay me! I used to use "drinking the night before" as an excuse to not exercise, do household chores, etc. "I should go easy on myself. Don't want to make myself sick. Need to recover." Well, I had a few last night and felt a bit hung over this morning, but I drank lots of water and did my cardio anyway, and I feel great!

No more excuses!

Kristine Mon, Jul-08-02 10:09

I had a good UBWO today. When I was finished, I could hardly lift the water cup to my face. :) Off to the shower now. My rule of "no computer until finished exercise" is working nicely.

Kristine Tue, Jul-09-02 09:43

Cardio day. I think I've got a good routine worked out. Other than my shoulder, chest and abs being a tad sore from yesterday, I feel really good!

Note to self: try to find one of those head band things that keep your glasses from sliding down your nose.

Kristine Wed, Jul-10-02 10:17

LB day. Today was nice because I was up before the b/f, so I got breakfast n' coffee all ready to go and did my WO while he was in the shower. Nice to get it out of the way early.

Kristine Thu, Jul-11-02 08:56

Cardio day. I really didn't feel like doing it, but I did, of course. Once I was going, it felt good. I'm going to see my relatives at the end of the month, so I want to be in good shape for the pool party. :) That's a little extra motivation.

Kristine Fri, Jul-12-02 08:48

UB day. Nothing special, just checking in.

Kristine Sat, Jul-13-02 10:04

I feel rather "blah" today, so I'm taking a free exercise day. It won't be a free eating day, though. And I'm still going for a walk to the store today.

Kristine Sun, Jul-14-02 10:10

Okay, I lied - it was a free eating day. :rolleyes: I had some <small>cookies</small> and pizza later on. Stayed in control, though. Had a good dinner of baked fish and vegetables. My calorie count at the end of the day was 2000-ish, so that's okay.

Continued on with my LBWO today. I'll probably go for a walk later.

Kristine Mon, Jul-15-02 09:42

Cardio day, even though I had a hard time getting "into it." I feel like I have two left feet today. Something cool happened, though: just as I was almost finished and about to hit that last high interval, there was a knock at the door downstairs. My b/f had a CO2 tank delivered for his smoke machine (don't ask. :rolleyes: ) So I sat it on its side and carefully pushed it up the stairs - that's 14 stairs - and got myself good and winded. :D Timing is everything.

Kristine Tue, Jul-16-02 09:50

UB day. Damn, how does that glass of water get so heavy? :)

Kristine Wed, Jul-17-02 10:22

Cardio day. I woke up with a bit of a "hangover". I made two dumb mistakes yesterday. I take an ephedrine "stack" once or twice a week if I'm particularly tired in the morning. So I took one yesterday, but then had a protein shake. This particular brand, "ToDietFor," has cola nut and guarana added to it. That's major c-a-f-f-e-i-n-e. By the afternoon, I was bouncing off the walls. :rolleyes: The other dumb mistake was putting a whole tablespoon of psyllium into aforementioned shake. The result? I'm pretty dehydrated.

...but this is the second time that I've done cardio with a mild headache and it feels *great*. I feel 100% better afterward. Go figure.