Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   LC Our Way #4 - "The 2020 Edition" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483361)

Lori_:) Wed, Jan-01-20 06:23

LC Our Way #4 - "The 2020 Edition"

Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori_:) Wed, Jan-01-20 06:31

Good Morning & Happy New Year!!!!!!

Sorry I was late getting this thread created! I slept in till 7:15 this morning. When I woke up my first thought was.....oh shoot.....I have to start that thread this morning....someone will be looking for it! :lol:

We had a nice time with our snacks and a little wine last night. I stayed up late....9:30!! ;) I'm fasting till Noon today and then I'll just have a fat coffee. We'll have our traditional NY's day meal of Pork & Sauerkraut for dinner tonight. I have to rein in the bits of this and that that I shouldn't be eating. It's a new year baby!!!

I'll be back later...make it a great day!

niccofive Wed, Jan-01-20 08:56

Happy New Year, all! And new Decade too!

I posted last on the thread before so not tooooo much to add here!

DH got his new car brought home yesterday. He is really happy and excited about it, which is nice. He's not really a car guy so it is fun to see.

All the kids were here last night for Crazy Dinner and games. One thing that was really funny is seeing how Crazy Dinner has changed through the years.
The first year we did it, five or six years ago, there was SO MUCH JUNK. I think I grabbed a frozen lasagna or something just so there would be some actual food.
This year, the only sweet thing was fresh fruit and cool whip! We had a very international meal: chicken street tacos (DH), Chicken tikka masala (me), pot stickers (DS21), spanakopita (DS18), Hebrew National pigs in blankets (SoIL), garlic bread (DD24) and the fruit and cool whip (DS21GF, who played from the airport while waiting in customs and then joined us straight from the airport! lol) It was really quite the feast! I pulled out a frozen pie I had bought from a neighbor kid over a year ago that had never even been unwrapped or thawed, and none of us even touched it. I sent it with DD and SoIL when they left to go to a party. They left around 9:30, as did DS21 and his GF to go to a different party. DS18 watched a movie on his laptop and DH and I watched Noelle on the Disney+ channel. We then toasted in the New Year with DS18. It was actually pretty perfect. :)

We played Bananagrams and LCR for games. They look forward to LCR every year. ;)

So, New Year and New Decade! I feel good about the upcoming decade, I really do. A new phase of life for DH and myself will be starting and a new phase of life for my family as a whole. I bet and hope that I will be a grandma by the end of this decade. Wow, talk about a life change, right?

I have signed up for two classes through the 50+ Center here. One is a Barre and Balance class that meets twice a week, and one is a Tai Chi Chih class. I'm focusing on core body strength, mindfulness and balance building. They start next week, all in the afternoon at either 1 or 2 PM and go to mid-March. Then I will have my CASA visit one morning a week, and any doula work or reception desk work on other days. Or just hang out, do housework and laundry etc. I think this will be a good balance for me!

Today is pottery painting in the afternoon and then Japanese Hibachi for dinner. Back on the LC train tomorrow and full steam ahead.

Hugs to all of you. Grateful for your friendship and support in my life through the years. Here's to us and this new decade!! xoxox

PS- DANG that posted so fast it was shocking!!

Lori_:) Wed, Jan-01-20 09:04

Nic....I LOVE the idea of a crazy dinner where everyone brings something to share and you have no idea what it will be and there is no theme or anything. Fun!

What kind of car did DH get? Nothing like a new set of wheels!

Your day today sounds great too. I have no doubt that this decade will be full of wonderful things for you and your family. Your kids are at that age where they'll be flying to new experiences and having the time of their lives(and taking you along for the ride!).

Ok...posting for accountability here. I have laid out my cold weather running gear and I will be heading out for a run/walk at 1:30. 36 degrees and wind be damned! :rolleyes: I'll pop back in after my outside run to let you know that I survived. :lol:

Just put dinner in the oven so it can cook low and slow for a good long time and I have my washer spinning with load of laundry #2. Happy New Year indeed!

Love you all!

niccofive Wed, Jan-01-20 12:30

Lori, head on out for your run now! It is 1:30! :)

Dh got a Lexus. A 350 or something I think? I don't know much about Lexuses. I'll send a text pic.

New topic: Do you all have a word or phrase for your year? Discuss! :)

Lori_:) Wed, Jan-01-20 13:45

Thanks for the push Nic!! Just back from my run/walk! 35 degrees and a blustery north wind. I was actually dressed too warm. The total was just under 2.5 miles of run/walk intervals. Quite proud of myself for getting out there!

A Lexus.....nice! Happy for him.

My word for the year is GRATITUDE. I want to approach my life in a different way. When I think about going to the gym, or going for a run, instead of thinking that I "HAVE" to do it, I am going to think of it as I "GET" to do it. I'm able to get up and move. When it's time to make dinner for my husband, I'm going to think that I "GET" to do it. I have a husband to feed, food to make, a home to cook it in etc. In other words, I'm just going to practice being grateful and not approaching tasks as a burden, but as a joy because I CAN do all the things. May sound corny, but it has really changed my mindset. Not that I won't have "Eeyore days", but I'm going to do my best!

Love you all!

Jaz66 Wed, Jan-01-20 17:16

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY New Years DAY and a NEW decade to boot!!!!
WOW oh wow when you thin a decade is gone- 10 years. You look back and it was like yesterday, you look ahead it seems like forever, but I know it will be gone in a flash. I don't even what to think about where I will be in 10 year!!!!! YIKES- :lol: :lol: :lol: Hopefully RETIRED!!!!!!

Lori- Thank you girl for getting us jump started in style!!!!!!
I just love your word Gratitude. I think my word last year was thrive. Yea well............. HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Funny you brought up the word of the year, because I was just thinking I would really like to embrace one too. I just love the idea of one simple word that drives me. I think we all should pick one!!!!!

So cool your are ever so slowly getting your shoulder back. Boy have you worked hard for that!
Let's chat next week when things settle about when you can pop in for a weekend! I would love to have you and NIC for a girls weekend! Everyone really- but it sorta a quickie in and out. I am here through March 14th.

Nic- I love your post about last night! Perfect way to celebrate! What fun you all have!!!!!
Awesome on your two classes. I tried Thai Chi as well and found I did not have the patience for it. I am too, well OMG it is like watching someone in slow motion. I will be interested to hear your thoughts.
Too bad my kids (DD) just bought a new car to go with the van, or I might have been interested in your car. Can you BELIEVE they are into Buicks????????? Say WHAT???????? HAHAHAHAH

Trig- I love you are having a great time, and the price is right! I know, the Days in was certainly not the Hilton, or that roof top place. I am scratching my head trying to remember the name of that hotel!!!! For the same f"n price! Oh well we had a great time! I am thinking a New Orleans trip would be so much fun with you ladies!!!!! Really!!!!

OMG- the food..... HOLD STRONG my friend!!!!!!!!

Oh- Yes, walking someone into the last season of life is just the kind thing to do. To die in a hospital bed hooked up to every beeping machine and not be in a calm environment is just cruel. I know it happens every day. Just not on my watch if I can help it!

BLUE-
Have you survived the snow in? I bet you are getting antsy! Hang tight- it will pass!
What did you do last night?
--------------------------------------------------
This party animal was in bed last night at 10!!!!!!!- Got up at 530 to get to work and rake in the holiday $$$$$$.

There was only 3 of us covering the entire hospital. I was slammed. I had to let my getto out today too on some a$$hole who didn't what to help my patients.
So the oxygen company is SUPPOSED to be 365 days- all holidays. So when I called to get oxygen for my 2 patients who were waiting to go home but needed it before they could leave, this guy answered the phone. I told him who I was and what was needed. He promptly told me it was a holiday and hung up on me.
So I called back- and told him I would report him if he didn't get out there and deliver the DME! - He said he was calling his manager- GREAT I SAY you call her or I will. I did. So she sent him out.
Apparently according to the nursing station, he was drunk when he showed up and was rude to them!!!!!!
I am so reporting him!!!!!! Not ok.

Other than that- it was busy but I managed unsupervised.

I am truly thinking about my word for the year. I have some goals.
I will tell you I am up 4 pounds from this day last year. I want no silver lining here. I am not happy an entire year has gone by and I am not even close ,half way, 20 pounds down. NO I am up 4.

It has not been a good year WOE, STRESS, WORK, year. I had hoped for more. I am not going to go into all the crap of last year- it is BEHIND ME. I can only think about the here and now and future.

So................ I truly want this year to be THE year I hit goal and maintenance. By this time next year I want an entirely different post.

I will say though I am excited about what 2020 will bring!!!!- I just love a page yet unwritten! That is why I just love my Friday evenings/Sat morning- unwritten open time!

I just want to say as well, I too feel so blessed to have you ladies in my life. Another year and it seems I know you all so much better. What we have is so special. Who would have thought! Then we got together and got to really bond! I can now "hear" you through your post. Your voices, smiles, and giggles! Truly blessed!

I would love to resurrect the thought about NEXT year- spring girls weekend. Keep it in mind. We are talking 2021. Are we ready to talk about it? Life is short- lets party!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOTTTTTT

XOXOXOXOX

Jaz66 Wed, Jan-01-20 17:17

OMG-amazing how fast it posted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blue52 Wed, Jan-01-20 18:44

Happy New Year y'all!!!!

Lori---I love the framing you put behind your word, "gratitude." That was so beautifully thought out and said. And looks like it motored your right thru your run on a windy winter day. I bet you felt fab when you got home. I remember that from long ago when I used to run---how dang good it felt when I got done, LOL.

Thanks for starting up the new thread. Love "the 2020 edition" part, kind of like we're a novel w/many episodes. :)

Nic---I am going to dub you guys "The Fun Family." You have so many original and delightful family rituals. You are excelling in the memory making duty of parenthood! Loved the story about the crazy dinner and everyone's improving, more adult tastes.

And I love Lexus cars. I don't really care about cars much as long as they get me from A to B, but if I could splurge on a car it would be a Lexus. Gads, they are gorgeous, COMFORTABLE in every way. Good for your hubby---adults deserve their toys now and then too.

Jaz---Wow, what a shnook that guy was! And then the reason reveals itself. And then he drives drunk to get the oxygen there. Thinking he'll be w/out a job in the new year.

Although tiring, seems like it would be a good feeling to be doing what you do so well w/out that freaking company you used to work for hanging over your talents and throwing up road blocks every mile of the way. Also, you are back on the "stage" in your career---where the action is, so to speak. Do you like that? It just sounds so much more fulfilling and interesting than office work 9 to 5.

YES! I am ready to start talking about a trip next year, 2021. Not too early, as we have found out! I would love to do Savannah or New Orleans and preferably when it's still cold here, although we don't have anything on the calendar next year and I'll go whenever everyone else can.

Trig--- :wave: Looking forward to hearing about your New Year's Eve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a lovely Xmas Eve. Some wealthy pals of ours rented the party room at one of our fave restaurants, complete w/fireplace and twinkling lights, and a big white linen U-shaped table for us all to gather around. About 25 people there I think. Our pal picked up the entire tab---cocktails, several appetizers, salad, entree and dessert. 5 choices of entrees each as good as the next.

We knew about half the folks there, but this couple's parties are always an eclectic mix of people you don't know as well as those you do. Sat next to a charming woman from Tucson and we had the best conversation about all kinds of things. Wish she lived here!

Were home by 10:30. Perfect. I'm now happy to say hello to the New Year the next morning. Curled up in bed w/my new bed and was in dream land long before the stroke of midnight.

Went to breakfast for lunch w/a pal from the bldg at our fave neighborhood diner. This place is Kitchy-cozy and the breakfasts are cheap and divine. Everything done perfectly. Was happy to get out as it was a gorgeous winter day here, sunny and very mild. No snow, no wind, no ice. YAY.

Read and snoozed off and on all afternoon. Going to eat now, then we're going to start the third season of "Mrs. Maizel." Very nice, lazy, relaxing first day of the year.

Oh, and on the word of the year thing. Will have to think about it. Haha, can't even remember my word from last year, which indicates I missed the point. :lol:

Jaz66 Wed, Jan-01-20 18:58

BLUE- Started and FINISHED Mrs. Maizel 3nd season!!!
I know about the word of the year. Sometimes it really sticks and sometimes it just gets lost in the shuffle.

I do think it's important, at least for me to have a focus for the year.
I have several. I refuse to call them resoultions as those set ya up for failure most times.
So I like the word focus of the year, and then pick it!
THIS IS THE YEAR I WANT TO GET TO GOAL for the last time in my life. The struggle will ALWAYS be there, true. But I want to hit it! This is my year! I am setting my mind.

Maybe the word will be FOCUS- I dunno it is rather ambiguous.

Loved your Christmas post. How fun you met a new friend. You are so good at that. Such the smoozer!!!!!! HAHAHAHA- Truly you are so likable, right off the rip!

I love the idea of starting the conversation of 2021 girls weekend somewhere. I am open. I think Spring March/ April/ May is beautiful anywhere ya go. Although then there is the risk of rain. But whatever. Can't live in fear of rain drops!!!!! It rains year round. You ladies pick- I will come.

:)

Thank Again Lori- for staring us up right and fresh!

Jaz66 Thu, Jan-02-20 05:38

Good morning! Is it JUST me or is this the LONGEST week EVER????

Urghhhhhhhhh.........

I am so ready for a weekend! I am thinking this working gig is not for me! HAHAHAHAHAHAH- I am ready to retire but my pocket book says no!!!!!!!!! Not until I win the lotto! Until then I am dragging my butt to work. I am good once I get there, it's the getting there!

NIC- I am going to nickname your hubby Hot Rod!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA is he having fun with his new man toy?
I like the idea of a core strength class!!!

Lori-
you up???? Don't tell me I am first poster! HAHA
You hitting up the gym today?

Trig- FULL details!!!! Sucks you couldn't find a good steak house to dine in!!! You home yet?

Blue-- see my post to you above!!! - :wave: :wave:
-------------------------------------------------------------
OK Gals- today is the 2nd of 2020!!! 01/02/2002!!!!!! So what a cool day to refresh and get started on a brand new year, brand new decade, brand new you! I am in!

I am thinking still about my word. I love the idea of this. The word that keep coming to mind is focus. Not that I am scattered. But I am seeing this word in the same light as mindfulness. Go in 100% not just skim by. I think we all have the habit of sometimes going on auto pilot. I am wanting to take this next year and SLOW it down. Not just rush through life, tasks, it is going by at warp speed and I want to slow it down.
So something along those line. Maybe mindful/ intentional - done with a purpose or design. I like it a lot!
Slow it down and act with purpose, with my eating, working out, work, play. Get in it!!!!! -

Ok- done rambling. Going to sign out and see if Lori is on yet!
Today I am MAKING crab cakes. I picked up a can of lump crab. It is a huge can. It was normally 40 bucks for this can, and Christmas Eve they had a door buster sale and marked it 12.99- max 3. So I have 3!!!!!
Can't wait to try it. I might mix it up and let it sit all day and then cook them tonight!
I will use the old bay mix= 4 carbs per HUGE cake! I can do that! You know what I like on my crab cakes? Hot sauce- Dam good!

Have a good one- time for one more cup of coffee!

Lori_:) Thu, Jan-02-20 06:32

Good Morning!

I'm here...just running a bit slowly this morning. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and almost got up.....didn't think I was going to get back to sleep, but I did. DH got up with Gabby at 5 and I stayed in till a bit after 6. Have a rotten headache this morning, so I'm going to skip the 8AM yoga class...just not feeling it this morning. I had a low cal day yesterday and sometimes that effects my sleep, so that was probably why I woke up in the middle of the night. I'm looking forward to eating today. I think I'll go up to the coffee shop in town and have one of their excellent cappuccinos later. I need to run to the post office which is right around the corner.

I keep thinking today is Monday! I'm all screwed up. These mid-week holidays always throw me off. I think we're going to our son's tonight to exchange xmas gifts. Better soon get it done or just forget about it! :lol:

Ok.....need more coffee and something to eat. Have a good Thursday!

niccofive Thu, Jan-02-20 07:40

Good morning, everyone! It is Thursday, the second day of the New Year.

Life resumes some normality today, with DH and DS18 going back to work and school, respectively. DS21 is still here of course but he's a breeze. I doubt I'll see him before noon! :lol:

Lori- I love, love, love your word choice and focus for the year. I especially love how you explained it. You are so right. Excellent!!

I hope you feel better and your headache fades. A cappuccino sounds like a lovely treat!

Jaz- They are into BUICKS?? I didn't even know those were MADE anymore!! :lol:

I don't know what I weighed last January but I am certain I am up more than four pounds! Probably more like 10. But I'm back on the wagon now. Let's go!

Blue- You are right, it is definitely a comfortable car. You can hardly feel the road at all. Usually I'm not a fan of that- I prefer a rougher feel to my vehicles- but DH likes smoother driving cars. I'm just happy he is so happy with it. Lord knows he has earned it.

You have had so many nice social events and occasions, both large and small, this past month and a half. You handle them all so well too. You are a friendly, open soul. :)

Trig- Welcome home, friend! I know you will check in once you come up for air!
I'm eager to hear about the trip!

•••••••••••••

Yesterday was such a nice day, and the perfect way to bring in the New Year. We went pottery painting at 3, so there was plenty of time to just relax and chill. Pottery painting was just fun, it always is to me. I started out trying to do a fairly naughty plate but I could not get the silk screen to come out the way I wanted it to. I finally gave up but ended up with a nice salad size plate that I decorated with flowers of different types, that says "Bloom in 2020."

After that we went to a Hibachi Restaurant and enjoyed dinner together. :)

My word for the year is a phrase instead- "Lighten Up." For one, weight wise, it is time to Lighten Up. Then, to take things less seriously, and enjoy things more without getting hung up on the minutia. And finally, to spread light and goodwill in my interactions with others- to make this a more conscious choice. So that's mine.. Lighten Up!

Jaz- what you described for your word reminded me of DS21's phrase for the year- he chose Head Down. He has some aspirations for this year (170 on the LSAT, do well in his internship in NYC and secure a job offer post graduation etc) and that was his way of saying to focus, and drill down. Anyway, made me think of you.

Got the kitchen cleaned up a bit this morning- cleaned some stuff out of the fridge that needed to go, put sweet stuff down the disposal that was out and cluttering my counter, made sure some LC foods were front and center. We've been moving out the Xmas stuff a bit at a time. It's now cluttered on the dining room table and then DH gets it put away for us. The tree stays into February. I have the lights on right now! Every morning, every night! :)

I'm going to declutter some shelves in the upstairs hall today and then have DS21 help me load the donation stuff into the car. I have a box of books that need to go out and they are too heavy for me to lift. Hopefully he can manage it. I also want to dust and vacuum the upstairs bedrooms. The new cleaning lady starts next week. We last had someone come in November and I've been keeping up pretty well but it is time to get in there better.

Guess that is about it for me! Today will be a great day!

Whirrlly Thu, Jan-02-20 08:16

hey guys, it was great reading your words for this year.

Glad everyone had a great New Years! Our short trip was fun. But Broadway at the Beach was boring kinda. That fun party atmosphere wasn't there kinda. We came in at the end of the fireworks, heck saw them from the hotel while driving our 1 minute to the parking lot, got to the boardwalk and hit the finale which was nice. Blew them off at 8?? Huh, we thought 12 but we screwed that up HAHA but it was off. Kinda dull. A lot of the shops were closed and closing at 10....like the place was shutting down early. Oh well, that is off the list. We will find a new place to hit for New Years next year. Heck I will research where to take us and find a new little fun spot. eh, whatever. but nice to have a change of scenery.

Did hit a bar at 10:30 that served food with a great DJ. OMG the poor guy was trying so hard to get people hyped. Everyone was so quiet and chill. No dancing, no crazy people, just chilled. It was like it wasn't new years at all. huh....oh well, whatever, we had fun tho I guess :p

I wasn't a fan of eating out. Restaurants are killing me. I need my home....or my RV kitchen and fridge to handle HOW I LIKE to eat. Restaurants don't cut it for me at all. This isn't good but it is what it is. Either learn to deal with restaurants better or ?? Heck I don't know HAHA

Blue, you gotta pick one LOL I hear ya. I was thinking what will mine be.

Nicco very cool on DH's new car. Lexus :) :) I bet he loves that sucker!! Eh we make money to spend some so what they heck, some point ya gotta throw some out there. I know I do when we want something big LOL

Word for me is CHILLAX. I ain't focusing, I ain't committing, I ain't putting any damn pressure on me at all. I am not pretending I have to do anything this year. I am taking it all off me :) I know how to eat. I know what suits me. I know what to do to make it work. I don't need to truly learn nothing new, I just have to do what the hell I do know and put it into play. But I am going to just do it easily. Chill thru this year in good form. Work smarter, not harder! Work, well, hell I ain't doing much of it at all for the rest of my life if I have any true say in it all HAHA

doing laundry and getting house in order from Xmas etc.
easy day here. chilling. oh yes I am chilling :)

Jaz66 Thu, Jan-02-20 16:51

Whew another frekin day down!
Trig- sorry your trip was less than stellar. But hey you win some and then don't, and then you just go somewhere else next year!

I so hear ya on the eating out deal. Who knows what they stick on your food! I was shocked, well not really to learn McDonalds puts SUGAR on everything- hamburgers too! Gross!

I like your word- it suits you perfectly.

Lori- are you feeling better? I had a headache today too....... urghhhhh. didn't feel "sick" just didn't feel great. Wished I could have curled up and just chilled and stayed in pajamas.
I am craving a day in jammies and hot soup!
Feel better .

Nic- Yup- note- they STILL make Buicks!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Super glad Hot Rod loves his new wheels.
I know you are ready to get back to normal schedule.
I also noted you are getting a new cleaning lady! Good choice! Hope she works out for you!

Blue- - love you got out to breakfast with your gal pal and the weather cleared up.
What does your week look like?

Yup we are waiting for your word of the year! HAHAHAH
---------------------------------------------------
Slammed again. Hopefully next week we will be back to full staffing.
Ended up just grabbing salmon grilled from the cafeteria before I left and called it a day- to tired to cook.
My turkey and pork hit the trash yesterday- I ate on it for 5 days.

I can't believe how DRY the air is here! Even being 1/2 mile from beach- DRY.

Speaking of air- I am going to splurge and get a diffuser. I think I like the idea of it.

Well anyway! - I am off to walk the pooch, face time the kids, and CHILL- (trig) HAHAHAHAH
One more day to give to the man.