Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Muscles depleted, contracting (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467187)

Ilushka Sun, Apr-26-15 10:12

Muscles depleted, contracting

Hello dear guys,

I have started low carb diet month and a half ago, and I'm feeling absolutely amazing. During the previous week I started to feel my muscles constructing and I had very hard time to run, for the first time since I sttarted the diet. I am running for 4-5 times a week. I loading safe carbs (no gluten, only with fiber) during the weekends, but now i am feeling i have to eat more carbs, as i am feeling depleted. I am afraid that muscle is burned during the workout.

My question to is - should i eat safe carbs each day, before workout or load more carbs during the weekend in order to solve the issue.

Thank you very much.

bkloots Sun, Apr-26-15 12:05

Hi, Ilushka. It sounds like you got off to a good start with low carb eating.

If your body has adapted to Fat-burning (may take several weeks) you'll get your energy back by consuming enough good fat. Also be sure you are getting enough salt. Try drinking one or two cups of chicken or beef bouillon every day.

Low-carb eating will not cause your body to lose muscle. Eat an adequate amount of protein, good fat, and salt to help with hydration. You should feel your energy perk up soon.

Best wishes.

Ilushka Sun, Apr-26-15 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hi, Ilushka. It sounds like you got off to a good start with low carb eating.

If your body has adapted to Fat-burning (may take several weeks) you'll get your energy back by consuming enough good fat. Also be sure you are getting enough salt. Try drinking one or two cups of chicken or beef bouillon every day.

Low-carb eating will not cause your body to lose muscle. Eat an adequate amount of protein, good fat, and salt to help with hydration. You should feel your energy perk up soon.

Best wishes.

Hi Barbara, thank you for replying. I love running, this is actually the first time I am experiencing this type of problem. I usually eat large amounts of Tahini and Avocados.

From what I understood, carbs are not needed at all?

bkloots Sun, Apr-26-15 15:48

Quote:
From what I understood, carbs are not needed at all?
That's right. Once you are adapted to low-carb, you'll get your energy from fat and, to a certain extent, protein. A good resource for you: The Art and Science of Low-Carb Eating by Phinney and Volek. They are sports guys.

Ilushka Sun, Apr-26-15 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
That's right. Once you are adapted to low-carb, you'll get your energy from fat and, to a certain extent, protein. A good resource for you: The Art and Science of Low-Carb Eating by Phinney and Volek. They are sports guys.

Many thanks! :)

All the best,
Ilushka

gonwtwindo Sun, Apr-26-15 17:00

We don't hold onto water like we used to...I'd say it's more likely to be dehydration...your electrolytes might be off. That causes muscle contractions in my calves. I supplement with magnesium & calcium (250 mg. each), plus salt my food just under my bloat threshold. If you are not eating salmon, avocados, mushrooms and dark leafy greens (and obviously fruit) then you are probably low in potassium, too. DV is 3,500 mg. Higher than you would think.

inflammabl Sun, Apr-26-15 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilushka
Hello dear guys,

I have started low carb diet month and a half ago, and I'm feeling absolutely amazing. During the previous week I started to feel my muscles constructing and I had very hard time to run, for the first time since I sttarted the diet. I am running for 4-5 times a week. I loading safe carbs (no gluten, only with fiber) during the weekends, but now i am feeling i have to eat more carbs, as i am feeling depleted. I am afraid that muscle is burned during the workout.

My question to is - should i eat safe carbs each day, before workout or load more carbs during the weekend in order to solve the issue.

Thank you very much.

Muscle is burned due to inadequate protein or calories. Not due to lack of carbs.

subra66 Sun, Apr-26-15 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Muscle is burned due to inadequate protein or calories. Not due to lack of carbs.

I agree on this.
I have had the same problem from riding cycle on empty stomach and while on low carb for the past 3 months. Problem is disappearing as I increased my protein intake since two weeks.

Ilushka Mon, Apr-27-15 02:12

I am taking vitamines and eating Salmon and Avocados on regular basis.
Thank yoy for replying guys, I will increwse my protein intake as well as water.