Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb War Zone (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Beyond Meat is Beyond Healthy (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482578)

Demi Thu, May-30-19 23:27

Beyond Meat is Beyond Healthy

Quote:
YOU MAY HAVE HEARD ABOUT THAT NEW BEYOND MEAT BURGER.

This new plant-based burger that tastes and even bleeds like a real burger. If that isn’t enough to weird you out, I don’t know what is.

Weird as it seems to me, I’m much more concerned with the actual ingredients of this beyond meat burger. Especially when the product touts itself as not just healthy, but sustainable.

Is Beyond Meat actually healthy? Is it actually sustainable?

http://thescienceofeating.com/2019/...yond-unhealthy/

cotonpal Fri, May-31-19 05:56

These are the ingredients of the Beyond Meat BUrger:

Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract (to protect quality), Ascorbic Acid (to maintain color), Beet Juice Extract (for color), Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto (for color).

I think I will skip it.

deirdra Fri, May-31-19 08:35

I'll stick with the 1-ingredient alternative - MEAT!

teaser Fri, May-31-19 09:34

It looks sufficiently low carb that I might try it out of morbid curiousity.

GRB5111 Fri, May-31-19 09:42

Mmmmmm, sounds delicious when Jean describes the ingredients. You can't make this stuff up . . . .

Bob-a-rama Fri, May-31-19 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
These are the ingredients of the Beyond Meat BUrger:

Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract (to protect quality), Ascorbic Acid (to maintain color), Beet Juice Extract (for color), Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto (for color).

I think I will skip it.

Hmm, Canola Oil (probably GMO laced with round-up), potato starch (carb), natural flavor (could be anything like the extract from a beaver's anal gland), Methylcellulose (Laxative), Succinic Acid (they use this to make perfume and lacquers), Modified Food Starch (has no nutritional value)?

Besides, if you get (and this is important) 100% grass-fed beef, it gets all it's nutrition from prairie land. The land needs nothing other than what mother nature provides; no fertilizer, no pesticides, no additional carbon footpring (however the load on the planet gets huge if your beef is finished on a feed lot).

To farm that prairie-land that gives the animals 'free food' and instead grow farmed crops would take intensive amounts of fresh water, fertilizer, insecticide, and fossil fuels.

To grow the plant ingredients for the frankenburger means using a lot of precious groundwater, lots of fertilizer (made in factories with smokestacks), herbicide (most likely a carcinogen) and a resource filled factory with lots of energy hungry equipment hooked to the power grid.

Which do you think is better for the environment?

And which do you think gives you better nutrition?

I know what my choice will be.

Bob

Bob-a-rama Fri, May-31-19 09:48

One more thing. I think that grazing ruminants on natural grasslands as humans have done for millennia and the animals have done for almost eternity is sustainable.

Bob

teaser Fri, May-31-19 09:54

Beaver's anal gland doesn't bother me. I'm guessing that's not in there, since it's supposed to appeal to vegans and vegetarians.

The overprocessing is a point versus environmental impact. But for us all to be eating as much meat as we want to, grass feeding becomes a bit of a bottleneck. And anything you can say about raising plants to feed humans you can say about raising those plants to feed animals humans eat--more so, because you lose a lot of protein and calories in the process.

cotonpal Fri, May-31-19 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
It looks sufficiently low carb that I might try it out of morbid curiousity.

Morbid being the operative word.

Bob-a-rama Fri, May-31-19 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Beaver's anal gland doesn't bother me. I'm guessing that's not in there, since it's supposed to appeal to vegans and vegetarians.<...>

Me neither, but technically cat urine or rat feces is a natural flavor. Who knows what between beaver butts and rat feces a food company will claim is a natural flavor.

I read an article about that years ago in the Scientific American, and you would surprised what waste products get put in as Natural Flavors.

Bob

Calianna Fri, May-31-19 18:48

Quote:

Cellulose from bamboo? Are we giant pandas? And even they only eat the bamboo leaves. But I'm picturing the bamboo wood that's used to make things like furniture and cutting boards. Yeah, that's really digestible. :Puke:

The whole mess sounds like a horribly unappetizing chemical stew.

teaser Fri, May-31-19 23:46

People do eat bamboo shoots. On purpose. I can't imagine why. :lol:

Bob-a-rama Sat, Jun-01-19 12:07

To get fiber?

for me it would be 'by accident'

WereBear Sun, Jun-02-19 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
One more thing. I think that grazing ruminants on natural grasslands as humans have done for millennia and the animals have done for almost eternity is sustainable.

Bob

I keep thinking this has to be a pre-agriculture period. Because you need some large, somewhat amenable, animal to plow, do you not?

teaser Sun, Jun-02-19 05:11

Maybe when you get to larger scale farming. But you can certainly get your foot in the door just on human labour.