Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I don't believe it: dip mix edition. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482423)

WereBear Wed, May-01-19 08:38

I don't believe it: dip mix edition.

Would you believe a sour cream dip with 4 grams of carbs per 1.5 teaspoon?

Here's the ingredients:
  • onion
  • salt
  • maltodextrin
  • sugar
  • organic gluten free soy sauce powder
  • cocoa powder
  • garlic powder
  • tapioca starch
  • non-fat dry milk
  • celery seed powder
  • natural flavors

It is simply incredible that something with no business having sugar in it has it as the third and fourth ingredients! And the starch is contributing half!

I saw it was gluten free and the first ingredient was onions. Fortunately, before I opened it, I read the nutritional information. Back it goes.

GRB5111 Wed, May-01-19 08:52

With that list and targeted elimination of the most egregious ingredients, bet you could "engineer" your own to be healthier and much lower in carbs.

doreen T Wed, May-01-19 09:38

Even "health food" versions of packaged mixes, proudly claiming organic status on the label .. are full of carby additives :(.

Here are 14 recipes for making your own Paleo herb & spice mixes, from WellnessMama.com .. https://wellnessmama.com/4430/homemade-spice-blends/ . I've made the Ranch dip/dressing mix, and can vouch that it's delicious :thup:

Bonnie OFS Wed, May-01-19 09:56

Which is why homemade is the better choice. A few of the recipes I use originally called for sugar - I just leave it out.

WereBear Wed, May-01-19 10:29

Thanks, all!

I added dill weed and a garlic/onion spice mix I have on hand, and the sour cream is marinating as we speak. Destined as dressing on my brisket salads.

Part of my rule to try to always have something fermented at every meal.

Meme#1 Wed, May-01-19 10:47

Dill weed and celery seed are two spices I LOVE together along with the other spices, especially with chicken or tuna salad.

GRB5111 Wed, May-01-19 11:02

I love dill and on brisket it sounds great. Also good on salmon mixed with sour cream and a touch of lemon juice as well.

HappyLC Wed, May-01-19 11:02

Cocoa powder? Seems out of place.

WereBear Wed, May-01-19 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC

I thought so, too! I left that part out of my own concoction. :lol:

Meme#1 introduced me to the joys of sour cream as a very Paleo salad dressing base.

Bonnie OFS Wed, May-01-19 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC

I have a lc recipe (one of Dana Carpender's) that calls for cocoa powder. I tried it both with & without & decided to save the carbs for something that makes a difference in the taste. The tomato, chili, onion, garlic, etc. pretty much drown out the cocoa.

CityGirl8 Wed, May-01-19 12:20

I went on an irritated rant recently trying to buy mayonnaise. There's a wall of the stuff in my local upscale huge Safeway and every single jar has added sugar. Even the faux avocado ones. I had to go to a completely different store to buy mayo.

Recently, I got caught out by some random vinaigrette on a buffet. It was so sweet I almost spit it out. I caught a look at the label and looked it up later: 14g of carbs (almost all added sugar) in 2 tablespoons. Like syrup.

I just want to scream at all these food manufacturers to stop adding sugar to savory foods!! They don't need it.

WereBear Wed, May-01-19 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Dill weed and celery seed are two spices I LOVE together along with the other spices, especially with chicken or tuna salad.

I will have to try celery seed. I do love celery.

Ms Arielle Wed, May-01-19 13:01

DH introduced me to an easy recipe some 30 years ago: equal parts sour cream and mayo, add lots of dill weed. Mix. The longer it sits , the tastier.

Use like Ranch on a salad, or for a dip.

Bonnie OFS Wed, May-01-19 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Recently, I got caught out by some random vinaigrette on a buffet. It was so sweet I almost spit it out. I caught a look at the label and looked it up later: 14g of carbs (almost all added sugar) in 2 tablespoons. Like syrup.

That's happened to me, too. You'd think that vinaigrette would be oil & vinegar, maybe some herbs. But no, they have to add sugar! Which James Beard said was a no-no. His basic recipe is wine vinegar, oil, salt, & freshly ground pepper.

Kristine Wed, May-01-19 15:26

This bugs me, too. I'm trying to save time and money here, do I have to do EVERYTHING from scratch?! Sometimes I'm in a hurry and/or I'm broke! :mad:

I honestly had no idea that there was dill in ranch dressing. :idea: Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for these ideas: I just started an experiment of no seed oils. It's not very convenient. I'll be doing yogurt/sour cream based dressings, and maybe some homemade mayo if I think we're actually going to eat it.