Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Crystal Light slurpee at 7-11?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=250301)

Josiemk Tue, Jun-14-05 12:41

Darn we don't have any 7/11 here in Texas that I know of or any Circle K 's either. I'd love to try the Lemonade slurpy. I miss slushes since here it seems they all have sugar in them. Or thier made from a diet soda like at Sonic. I don't drink sodas so they tast weird.

locarbbarb Tue, Jun-14-05 13:01

I have found that Crystal Light, in general, makes me feel hungry after a short while (that was a surprise!) until I learned that the aspartame can raise your blood sugar, so now I just avoid it (aspartame, that is.).

buffyslayr Wed, Jun-22-05 20:36

Just so you know (they had the ingredients taped to the slurpee machine) there is glycerine and sorbitol in the slurpee which can make it into a real cold laxative (I've had two and wooohooo...let me tell you). I liked the taste as I love Rasberry Ice Crystal light anyways but it is an acquired taste.

Kristine Thu, Jun-23-05 06:34

Thanks for the heads up. I knew it had sugar alcohols. :( Figured that out the hard way. Ouch.

Beck Fri, Jun-24-05 08:47

Why did i think i could get away with this on induction? I'm not in ketosis today and i think its because i had half a slurpee =(. It was a bit too sweet for me, but it can definately cure the slushie craving. Too bad theres all that aspritame in it.

kdiv5650 Tue, Jun-28-05 19:59

I had a strawberry kiwi Crystal Lite slurpee here in Edmonton. Not bad..I found it quite sweet though...it was a nice treat though...

Sugar-Free Thu, Jul-14-05 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hap2cu
I've had two. The first one was so good and I was so thrilled to be able to have a cold treat. The second one was just as good, but within an hour I was glued to the toilet and I swear the stuff acted like Drano!! Not sure if I'll be getting another one any time soon. Maybe I'm just not used to having so much aspartame.

I don't think it was aspartame; they must use a sugar alcohol like maltitol or hydrolyzed starch hydrolysate because I had the same laxative effect as eating no sugar added ice cream or candies. I wish 7-11 would post an ingredients list for the sugar free slurpee's because if it does contain maltitol or other polyols they still contain some carbs and 1/2 to 3/4 the calories of sugar. Here is a good explanation of Sugar Alcohols http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

LukeA Thu, Jul-14-05 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar-Free
I don't think it was aspartame; they must use a sugar alcohol like maltitol or hydrolyzed starch hydrolysate because I had the same laxative effect as eating no sugar added ice cream or candies. I wish 7-11 would post an ingredients list for the sugar free slurpee's because if it does contain maltitol or other polyols they still contain some carbs and 1/2 to 3/4 the calories of sugar. Here is a good explanation of Sugar Alcohols http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

Some stores do post the ingredients, including the one nearest me. They contain sorbitol in large amounts. :Puke:

stacyfitz Wed, Jul-20-05 12:16

I thought the slurpee tasted great and had two small ones (a week or so apart) with no ill effects. Then on a really hot night I had a large one and got a terrible head ache. Not a 'brain freeze' but some reaction to whatever is in it. I don't know much about sugar alchols - I thought it was a reaction to aspartame but I will strive to learn more.

Stacy in Richmond, BC

micnmax Mon, Jul-25-05 12:19

hap2cu,
I was told by a dietician that the crystal light sugar free slurpees have a fair amount of sugar alcohol, which for some people act as a laxative. This would explain your situation.

sunnywey Tue, Jul-26-05 02:35

I bought one the other nite as I was driving home from work - I had worked late. When I got home - I added some rum. Yummy!!
Then it wasn't quite so sweet, but VERY good!

The next day, I too got cleaned out, if you know what I mean. It was O.K. tho, cuz I didn't have cramps, or feel sick or anything.
I will only buy the smallest size, again. Hate to think what would happen if I had of got a bigger one.

midi73 Mon, Jul-31-06 14:20

Probably not the aspartame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hap2cu
I've had two. The first one was so good and I was so thrilled to be able to have a cold treat. The second one was just as good, but within an hour I was glued to the toilet and I swear the stuff acted like Drano!! Not sure if I'll be getting another one any time soon. Maybe I'm just not used to having so much aspartame.

:wave: Hi. I looked up the ingredients of this online and it said it has sugar alcohols in it. They can give you diahreah, bloating, gas...sound familar? I ate some protien bars with very little carbs but they had a lot of the sugar alcohols and it messed me up for days not to mention the same symptoms you had after drinking this stuff. I tried one today but only drank a little and decided (since it was so sweet) to find out what was in there. Oh oh. Gonna dump the rest down the drain even though it tasted okay. ;-)
LOL

JsMuse Mon, Jul-31-06 14:25

I remember these things. They have them at every 7-11 here in Tampa. Even when I wasn't doing lc I thought they tasted WAY to sweet. Can't imagine how they would taste now. ick.

Fretless Sun, Aug-13-06 13:53

I just tried my first one (Mango) here in NY - it was great, but I had a hard time believing it was sugar free (they had no ingredients listed on the machine). I now know it must have been the sugar alcohols - I may be paying for that shortly.

The machine did, however, say it had 4 calories "per ounce" which at the 22 ounces I had, meant it obviously contained many more calories than the Crystal Light drink I keep in the fridge (5 calories "per serving").

I'm following South Beach's recommended foods, but also cutting down on calories - I would have one again (as a treat on occassion) provided I'm not in the bathroom most of this evening!

CarbsBeGon Mon, Aug-14-06 14:52

My fiancee (who's also on South Beach) and I have been sharing a 28oz Slurpee about once a week - it's been so hot here - and they're great! Thankfully, neither of us has experienced the laxitive effect. I guess it's just one of those things you're sensitive to or not... :)

Favorite flavors are:

1. Raspberry Lemonade
2. Peach Mango
3. Passion Fruit (this one almost tastes too sweet)