Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   playing around and discovered...Mock French Toast Muffin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165534)

me2bthin Sun, Feb-08-04 19:01

playing around and discovered...YUMMY!

This weekend I was making the "Mock Muffins" that are wonderful little meal sized quiches/omlettes...easy for a quick breakfast or snack. My D/H requested the Mock French Toast for dinner, so I whipped up some batter. That is when i hit on my idea. I poured some batter in a muffin tin, put about a 1/2 oz of cream cheese in the center and covered it with more batter. WONDERFUL! I tweeked the recipe some and also made an almond variety. Here are my recipes. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Mock French Toast Muffin SURPRISE!

1/2 of a 3-oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 pkts SplendaŽ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
maple flavoring (about 1/4-1/2 tsp.)
3 oz cream cheese (you may flavor your cream cheese with maple, cinn, and Splenda or brown Sugar Twin)

I crushed my rinds in my blender, removed them and mixed the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cream cheese. I then added the rinds and needed to add some water becasue this gets pretty thick. Pour some into greased muffin tin (NOT a MINI tin). Place a blob of your cream cheese in the center and cover with more batter. Back at 350 for about 20-23 minutes. Allow to cool. Reheat as a quick breakfast onthe go. Serve plain or with butter and SF syrup. Makes about 6 muffins.

Almond Mock Muffin SURPRISE
1/2 of a 3-oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds
2 Tbs almonds (you may add more if you wish and don't mind upping the count)
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 pkts SplendaŽ
almond flavoring to taste (about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
3 oz cream cheese (you may flavor your cream cheese w/ almond extract and Splenda...cinn too if desired).

Crush rinds and almonds in blender. Put aside. Whip up the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cream cheese. Add rind/almond mix to egg mix and blend. You may need to add water tothe batter to make it more managable. Pour some batter into greased muffin tin. Put a blob of cream cheese in center and cover w/ batter. Bake at 350 for about 20-23 minutes. Makes about 6 muffins.

I hope you enjoy these.

leasmom Tue, Feb-10-04 14:39

Sounds good!!! I have 10 dozen of eggs to last me all month and so I'm looking for anything new so thanks for sharing!!!

Tammyjoe Wed, Feb-11-04 07:34

Oh, these sounds wonderful. I love muffins. That's what I always had for breakfast before I started on Atkins and I really miss them.
I'm going to try these today.
Thanks, Lois

me2bthin Wed, Feb-11-04 10:56

Warning: these are not all fluffy and cakey like muffins...they are more like French toast in a muffin shape...I LOVE the almond! they smell so good warm with butter melted on thema nd when you hit the center...oooh baby! The French toast ones are yummy too when you want a "sweet" breakfast without any work. Pour on a little SF syrup and you are good to go...the maple flavoring, however, can allow you to skip the syrup if you are on the go. I hope you like them. We all do.

mom22kidz Fri, Jul-16-10 06:00

Wow!!!

These are excellent!!!! I struggle with the low carb diet because I have a sweet tooth (or maybe all of them are sweet :lol: ) so these hit the spot! I eat them every morning for breakfast!!! Thanks so much for posting this recipe!!

vrsmith2 Sun, Sep-15-13 13:56

I don't really cook so can somebody tell me what maple flavoring is? Do they sell it at Food Lion?

Nancy LC Sun, Sep-15-13 15:07

It will come in a little bottle and most likely be in the aisle with the spices and baking supplies.

Google "maple flavoring" to see what it looks like in the bottles it comes in.

Jeremy L Tue, Dec-10-13 06:10

Sounds delicious! I will definitely make this when I have some extra time in the morning :).

Carol1 Tue, Apr-29-14 12:53

Pork rinds? I think that they sound disguisting and just can not bring myself to eat them.

Lessara Fri, Jan-23-15 16:12

anyone know the carb content?