Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Menopause. What's the upside? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=382302)

Nancy LC Tue, Sep-16-08 11:49

Menopause. What's the upside?

Ok, staring this down the bore, so to speak. Surely there is some upside to this. Lay it on me, sisters! :lol:

preck1378 Tue, Sep-16-08 19:20

No periods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No birth control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

preck1378 Tue, Sep-16-08 19:25

Oh and I was always cold before, now I'm always hot.

girlbug2 Tue, Sep-16-08 21:15

Surely PMS goes away also...?

CarolynC Tue, Sep-16-08 21:28

No periods is a big upside! (It even saves money.)

And, there's no cramps, too. I'll take hot flashs over bad cramps any day.

Nancy LC Fri, Sep-19-08 10:26

Ok, good, good! Anything else? Like... did anyone lose more weight during menopause? Ok, I'm probably reaching...

Mama Lu Fri, Sep-19-08 10:37

I can't say it's speeded up my weight loss, but it certainly hasn't stopped it. Oh, and hot flashes aren't inevitable; I think I only had one or two, and that was during perimenopause. And don't discount the joy of sex without birth control

skeeweeaka Fri, Sep-19-08 10:39

Hmm....perimenopause is bad enough...can't imagine menopause...

I guess the no birth control and no cramps are good things...but I'm having a huge problem losing now, can't imagine how it would be if i were fully menopausal....

TJ :rheart:

allatonce Wed, Oct-01-08 19:37

You would think hot flashes would burn energy.I mean it sounds logical.(right)..It didnt work for me..

Didy Thu, Oct-02-08 22:14

Do all of the perimenopause symptoms disappear after menopause? I am 48 and I'm finding that I am super sensitive and get my feelings deeply wounded, very easily. I also get mini panic attacks, which I have not had before. I'm really getting pretty sick of myself. I do find that natural progesterone cream helps, as well as trying to focus on helping others... but I sure wish I could be done and over this stupid vulnerable feeling...

Nancy LC Tue, Oct-07-08 11:59

I'm fortunate that I haven't had the emotional issues with my changing hormones. Although I woke up yesterday utterly worried the economy is about to explode and times are going to be tough for a long time. I'm not much of a worrier normally. But I had seen 60 minutes explaining some of the credit crisis and that really got me upset.

But today I'm feeling good again.

MizKitty Fri, Oct-10-08 14:11

Do you 50-ish perimenopausal ladies really still use birth control? Gosh, I haven't bothered with that since my mid-40's.

What's the oldest age you've ever heard of a woman getting pregnant the traditional way (i.e., without medical intervention)?

I had a friend trying to get pregnant at age 39 who finally resorted to a fertility clinic - her obstetrician told her natural/ non-medical intervention pregnancy "doesn't happen" after 40.

JLx Fri, Oct-10-08 16:03

Menopause is lots easier than perimenopause, imo. Instead of all those ups and downs, you even out. For some women it's a real time of renewal and energy.

As far as weight loss goes, if today's weight holds true, I've lost 30 lbs since August 4th. I've only been keeping track of food since August 22, and averaged 1640 calories, 100 gm carbs a day in that time. I think that's pretty good progress, and don't know if I could have done any better when younger.

Judynyc Fri, Oct-10-08 16:59

Yes....menopause evened me out with moods and cravings!! :agree:

Yes, I was able to lose weight better after my periods stopped totally. I ended up having to take iron supplements as I was very anemic.
No more cramps, bloating, swelling, heavy bleeding....no more tampax!! :lol:
No more ravenous cravings for massive amounts of food!! :o

I was in PMS more than I was out of it. I had PMS 10 days to 2 weeks prior and then bled from 7-9 days. sigh

I'm glad its gone!! :D

Nancy LC Sat, Oct-11-08 11:06

Oh good! So happy to hear the positive stories since all one usually hears is the negative stuff. I've never been much afflicted with PMS but the cramps I get are really awful.