Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   [SB] whole wheat flour (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=78817)

mellie1128 Tue, Jan-07-03 10:37

whole wheat flour

hey everyone,

does anybody know how well whole wheat flour works with certain types of cooking? hold on, i should be specific....like does it work for breading meat? Can I use it in recipes for Cream of broccoli soup when it calls for a few tablespoons of flour? My step mother tried to make whole wheat rolls for me once and they looked (and tasted) like hockey pucks....hahahahahaa....any kind of feed back would be great...thanks! :)

Melanie

:wave:

molly1844 Tue, Jan-07-03 19:12

:wave: Hi Melanie!

I have done a lot of baking with whole grain flours.

If you are making bread I would suggest that you add 1 Tsp of vital wheat Gluten per cup of flour. It helps whole grain breads rise better.

I use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour to thicken Sops and Gravies. It isn't quite as heavy or grainy as Regular Whole wheat Flour. It is also good for pie crust & muffins or cookies.

My favorite flour to bake with though is King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour. It is lighter in color and texture than regular WW Flour. I buy it at Meijers. Great Flavor! It can be ordered on-line too from King Arthur.

HTH
molly :heart:

mellie1128 Wed, Jan-08-03 08:08

thanks molly

Thanks for the info Molly!

I have a mejers right by my house. I'm going to try and find King Arthurs flour. You've been a great help! Right now, I think I have the Hogsdon Mill (sp?) Stoneground flour that SB reccomends. But it's been sitting in my cabinent unopened for months now!

Melanie :)

CozyCorner Thu, Jan-09-03 18:00

Quote:
Originally posted by molly1844

My favorite flour to bake with though is King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour. It is lighter in color and texture than regular WW Flour. I buy it at Meijers. Great Flavor! It can be ordered on-line too from King Arthur.

I bought this too at Meijer's. We tried making WW pizza dough. It was tasty but very heavy. Where do you get wheat gluten at and does it add a lot of carbs?

molly1844 Sun, Jan-12-03 09:22

Vital Wheat Gluten ...

can be purchased at just about any health food store or you can order it on-line. (I know King Arthurs carries it.)

I don't know the carb count but I did use it even when I was on a stricter LC program and it was acceptable.I have seen it in several LC recipes so I am sure it is ok.

After you have used the WW flour for awhile you will adjust to the heartier texture and flavor. In fact the white stuff tastes too bland to me now.

molly :wiggle:

Tangy62 Tue, Jan-28-03 09:00

Melanie,

Just a thought on the flour that you say has been sitting on your shelf for awhile. You might want to check it to make sure you don't have any little critters in it. I have been going thru that and when I saw your post I thought I might drop that reply to you.
Tangy :wave:

mellie1128 Tue, Jan-28-03 12:53

Thanks Tangy...

I bought it in September...hopefully it dosen't have critters already! EWWWW! I'm going to buy some wheat gluten and start putting that flour to good use!

Mel :)

molly1844 Tue, Jan-28-03 15:55

I usually keep my flour in a Ziplock bag in the freezer so I don't have to deal with those nasty little critters.

molly :)