Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Maple Walnut Icing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215377)

cubalz Fri, Sep-21-07 09:16

I made these late last night for my daughter's elementary school picnic. I get so tired of going to these events and finding NOTHING sweet that I can eat with no reprecussions.

I had one this morning after I finished icing and slicing. Wonderful! It's such a shame to "waste" them on all the non-LCer's. LOL

These will be great for Thanksgiving. I LOVE pumpkin. I followed the original recipe exactly though I was tempted to use my Pumpkin Pie DV syrup in the batter. The cream cheese frosting with the maple extract was perfect. My daughter was sniffing the empy frosting bowl and asked if she was smelling syrup in there.

Raine'sMom Fri, Sep-21-07 14:13

These look fantastic!!!! I'm so anxious to make these.

Raine'sMom Mon, Sep-24-07 09:13

Okay.... I ended up making these this past weekend. They were really, really good! They did turn out very moist as others have posted. I had to end up dumping the pan upside down on a cookie sheet and cooking again to get some of the moisture out of the bottom. Next time, I will use less oil and cook in a mini muffin pan. Smaller cooking surface and less oil should do the trick. The flavor is OUTSTANDING! Great fix for when you miss cake. I will certainly try this one again! YUMMM!!!! :yum: :yum:

Oh - the icing. I made it but I did not really care for it so I didn't use it. I don't know what the problem was - probally me - but I liked the cake plain just fine AND it's less carbs! Works for me!

cubalz Tue, Sep-25-07 10:25

I lined my pan with parchment paper (top & sides) before baking so when it cooled, I just lifted the whole cake out onto my cutting board, iced and sliced. BONUS: the pan was still totally clean!

Ms 2B Sat, Oct-06-07 16:36

Delicious! I used a little less oil and Splenda Quick Packs. I used powdered Erythritol cream cheese icing. Yummy!

Amanda1978 Sun, Oct-07-07 19:35

I made these again for Thanksgiving. I used a square silicone pan, doubled the recipe and used a bit less oil to turn it into more of a cake. Everyone loved it and ate it all up even after everyone pigged out on all my turkey, stuffing (made with LC bread so I could have a little treat), roasted brussels sprouts tossed with butter, toasted slivered almonds and sprinkled with nutmeg, scalloped cauliflower, KFC styled coleslaw, LC veggie tray with my dill dip, etc, etc, etc. (oh, and my MIL made scalloped potatoes and grave to go with it.)

They also freeze really well. I like to cut them up and freeze individual portions to bring with me when for the ten million holiday meals between now and January.

iamgoddess Tue, Oct-09-07 13:39

This question may have already been asked, but I didn't want to read through the whole thread.... ;)

I don't use Splenda. Instead I use packets of powdered Stevia because they contain NO carbs. The packets are the same size as the Splenda packets. Does anyone know if I would use the same amount, or more, or less??? Not sure how the amount of Splenda converts to the amount of stevia.

This recipe sounds amazing!!! I have been dreading Thanksgiving at my grandma's house b/c there are always such amazing desserts. Now I'll just bring one of my own, so no need to worry!

Blondie888 Tue, Oct-09-07 18:58

Iamgoddess, here's a link that may help: http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/st...sion_chart.html.

I'm not sure about taste however.

Amanda1978 Wed, Oct-10-07 06:32

I don't really know. I've never been able to get over the aftertaste left by Stevia so I use Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda) which is also 0 carbs and it turns out just as good. But I did use the measures like sugar Splenda to make the frosting so it would be thicker like a real frosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgoddess
This question may have already been asked, but I didn't want to read through the whole thread.... ;)

I don't use Splenda. Instead I use packets of powdered Stevia because they contain NO carbs. The packets are the same size as the Splenda packets. Does anyone know if I would use the same amount, or more, or less??? Not sure how the amount of Splenda converts to the amount of stevia.

This recipe sounds amazing!!! I have been dreading Thanksgiving at my grandma's house b/c there are always such amazing desserts. Now I'll just bring one of my own, so no need to worry!

iamgoddess Wed, Oct-10-07 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie888
Iamgoddess, here's a link that may help: http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/st...sion_chart.html.

I'm not sure about taste however.

THANKS!!! :D

TimesTwo Thu, Oct-11-07 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine'sMom
Oh - the icing. I made it but I did not really care for it so I didn't use it. I don't know what the problem was - probally me - but I liked the cake plain just fine AND it's less carbs! Works for me!
I haven't made the bars, but I made the icing with just vanilla extract to top a LC cake. I didn't like it either. It tasted like raw cheesecake batter instead of cream cheese frosting. I whipped in an extra half a stick of butter and made something more like buttercream frosting instead.

When I make the pumpkin bars, I will either use a different frosting recipe or add extra butter again.

Raine'sMom Fri, Oct-12-07 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
I haven't made the bars, but I made the icing with just vanilla extract to top a LC cake. I didn't like it either. It tasted like raw cheesecake batter instead of cream cheese frosting. I whipped in an extra half a stick of butter and made something more like buttercream frosting instead.

When I make the pumpkin bars, I will either use a different frosting recipe or add extra butter again.

Extra butter! That's a great idea! If I attempt to make it again, I will do that.

iumali Sun, Oct-14-07 16:18

WOW... And for those using stevia, I used 6 tsp of the bulk kind from TJ's.

Citruskiss Mon, Nov-19-07 10:24

just bumping this fabulous recipe...

:)

ElleH Sun, Apr-20-08 16:53

Here's a picture of my effort today, made in an 8x8 pan, b/c I like thicker bars. This recipe is just divine. It is almost perfect.

You can see a bigger picture in my gallery. I can't figure out how to embed the larger one.

DaddioM Mon, Apr-21-08 01:12

There ya go Elle.

Mike

ElleH Mon, Apr-21-08 06:35

My only comment is that they were WAY too wet. It didn't bother me hugely, b/c the taste is so perfect. But I would like to try to get them drier for the future. I thought I had undercooked them, but I heard someone else, who's a better baker than I am say the same thing. I'm thinking next time, I'll use less oil with the DV syrup.

Luzyanna Mon, Apr-21-08 08:09

Elle I could eat that tiny piece in one bite. I have serious portion control issues with this dessert. :lol: :lol:

TimesTwo Mon, Apr-21-08 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
My only comment is that they were WAY too wet. It didn't bother me hugely, b/c the taste is so perfect. But I would like to try to get them drier for the future. I thought I had undercooked them, but I heard someone else, who's a better baker than I am say the same thing. I'm thinking next time, I'll use less oil with the DV syrup.
I completely agree about the wetness. It's like a soggy wet piece of pumpkin pie. I'd like a real lemon bar texture. I think reducing the amount of fat and using butter instead of oil would make them less wet, since butter is somewhat solid at room temperature. (On the same token, oil instead of butter makes for moister cakes.)

ElleH Tue, Apr-22-08 20:40

Leslie, it *is* a tiny portion, isn't it! I've actually been eating *2* servings (twice the size in the photo) and counting double the carbs the last 2 days. I may have to save these for maintenance, b/c even though my daily carb count hasn't gone above 20, I've gained a pound in the 3 days I've been eating these. I hope it's not related, but if it is, these will def be on my maintenance menu.

Panthea, thanks for the tips! I will def try that next time!

thirteenlb Tue, Apr-22-08 21:35

Funny about the gain, Elle. I gained with these too. 3 pounds in a week.

Was tossing around making them again but just remembered this.

I wasn't eating very many carbs then, so maybe one more college try won't hurt!

BetsyJ64 Wed, Apr-23-08 18:13

I did it!! Here's the original recipe:

1 cup almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves (or 2 tsp Allspice instead of cinn or cloves)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
24pks splenda (OR 1/2 cup davinci SF syrup and 6pks of Splenda)
3 tblsp chopped walnuts

Then mix:
1 cup mashed pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Mix dry into wet and pour into sprayed 9x13 inch pan. Bake 350 for 30-40 min. Let cool then frost.

Here's what I did to get rid if the wet mush texture:

I didn't use any DaVinci; used 1/4 tsp.Sweetzfree and a dash of vanilla extract.
Put only 3/4 cup pumpkin in and used only 1/3 cup of oil.

Baked for 40 minutes in a square pan. They came out exactly like a nice cakey bar!!! Oh, and I DID use almond flour.

ElleH Fri, Apr-25-08 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenlb
Funny about the gain, Elle. I gained with these too. 3 pounds in a week.

Was tossing around making them again but just remembered this.

I wasn't eating very many carbs then, so maybe one more college try won't hurt!

Well, my gain was only temporary, I guess. Lost it all and then some, still losing, eating 2 servings a day (8.5 g total carb from the bars, 20g total carbs for the day). I was really happy, 'cause I didn't want to throw those babies out! After all, pumpkin *is* a veggie! ;)

Can_Linz Sat, Apr-26-08 16:10

I'm so glad you guys posted that these turned out wet. I thought I had done something really wrong. Oh well, next time, no Davinci.

ValerieL Tue, May-13-08 15:04

I'm going to try them with less oil rather than less Davinci's tonight. I'd rather lower the calorie count. We'll see how they do.

YukonRose Sat, Jun-28-08 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I'm going to try them with less oil rather than less Davinci's tonight. I'd rather lower the calorie count. We'll see how they do.

Just curious, did these turn out less moist with less oil? :yum:

JudyW Tue, Aug-19-08 11:05

This pumpkin recipe sounds delicious - do you know how many carbs are in a serving and what the serving size would be?
Thanks!

k-boogie Wed, Aug-20-08 21:10

this looks really good I love pumpkin I definitely plan on making this.

Luzyanna Thu, Aug-21-08 15:42

This is really good.....I make it quite a bit. Portion control however is still difficult! :lol: :lol:

Atkins4lf Mon, Sep-08-08 18:39

I just made this recipe and mine didn't turn out wet at all using Da Vinci Syrup. Hmmmm.

Also, they surely didn't get that tall either. I used a regular rectangular cake pan 9 x 13. The only thing I omitted was the baking soda.

I think for a great tasting pumpkin treat these are it! I'll have to play around with the recipe a bit like some of you did and maybe use a smaller pan so I can get more of a higher bar.

Excellent taste and I'll keep this recipe in my files. Thanks to the original poster, for the recipe!!!

~Lisa