Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   do you eat pumpkin? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472827)

1DogDay Wed, Mar-30-16 17:54

do you eat pumpkin?

I've heard it mentioned here and if so, how much would you eat at one time?

Presuming you are still trying to lose more weight.

Thanks!

Robin120 Thu, Mar-31-16 04:40

I'm in maintenance, but ate pumpkin while losing and still do. :yum:

1DogDay Thu, Mar-31-16 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I'm in maintenance, but ate pumpkin while losing and still do. :yum:

Thanks Robin, how much would you eat at once?

Meme#1 Thu, Mar-31-16 16:13

You should try the Sweet Potato Yam.
Garnet Yam is the one I cooked the other day and it was amazing. They're smaller and tubular, picked/dugup young before they get woody.
Canned pumpkin is OK but you really have to sing it up with spices or something but the
Yams stand alone and are heavenly boiled, mashed and buttered. The natural flavor is like carrots/pumpkins on steroids.
The 3#bags we bought are organic from California.

~ The carbs are very high. 33g for one medium Yam.

Kristine Thu, Mar-31-16 17:13

Pumpkin is a veg acceptable even on Atkins induction, so that's why you've heard a lot about it here. :thup: You can make great pumpkin pie type treats, or savory foods out of it. My three common pumpkin dishes: pumpkin sausage soup, curried pumpkin soup, or pumpkin muffins. LC pumpkin desserts are pretty much binge-proof for me because I like them really spicy rather than sweet.

I think it's Robin that does a pumpkin smoothie. Sounds great and still on my to-try list. :thup:

Canned pumpkin = 10 g carb - 4 g fiber so I count 6. That's for 1/2 cup.

Robin120 Fri, Apr-01-16 11:36

^^
Thanks, Kristine- yup, I LOVE pumpkin pie smoothies/ pumpkin cheesecake smoothies.

I eat 1/2 cup canned normally- when i am lucky enough to get fresh, i think it's about one cups cubed.

pumpkin soup, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin cheesecake, roasted pumpkin.....yum!!!!!!
random but works- if you have a dog and he is constipated, pumpkin works well (the canned stuff is fine- they love it). after my guy needed surgery and was on strong painkillers, he went 3 days, before vet said to give him pumpkin. he pooped orange but it worked w/o giving him runs!

khrussva Fri, Apr-01-16 12:11

I have canned pumpkin several times a week. I've made pumpkin cheesecake and I love it. It is a rare indulgence, though - as it is very good and easy to overeat. Where I have pumpkin regularly is in my morning flax mug muffin. It makes for a nice, moist muffin. If I'm doing a pumpkin spice muffin I'll and 2 to 3 ounces of pumpkin. If I'm making a chocolate muffin I add 1.5 tbsp. of cocoa powder and 1.5 oz of pumpkin. In that one I don't even taste the pumpkin. It is there for the moisture and it makes for a heavenly chocolate muffin.

1DogDay Wed, Apr-06-16 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I have canned pumpkin several times a week. I've made pumpkin cheesecake and I love it. It is a rare indulgence, though - as it is very good and easy to overeat. Where I have pumpkin regularly is in my morning flax mug muffin. It makes for a nice, moist muffin. If I'm doing a pumpkin spice muffin I'll and 2 to 3 ounces of pumpkin. If I'm making a chocolate muffin I add 1.5 tbsp. of cocoa powder and 1.5 oz of pumpkin. In that one I don't even taste the pumpkin. It is there for the moisture and it makes for a heavenly chocolate muffin.

Thanks, do you have a link to or recipe for your muffins? They sound amazing!

khrussva Wed, Apr-06-16 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
Thanks, do you have a link to or recipe for your muffins? They sound amazing!

Glimmergai asked about that. I just posted the recipe in THIS THREAD.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472928

If you search the internet for flax muffin or mug muffin you will find plenty of other recipes. I've enjoyed toying around with various twists on the basic flax muffin. Some turn out better than others. One that I plan on trying soon is to add steamed shredded carrots and extra oil for a carrot cake muffin. I used to love carrot cake -- so I hope it turns out.

Robin120 Wed, Apr-06-16 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
If you search the internet for flax muffin or mug muffin you will find plenty of other recipes. I've enjoyed toying around with various twists on the basic flax muffin. Some turn out better than others. One that I plan on trying soon is to add steamed shredded carrots and extra oil for a carrot cake muffin. I used to love carrot cake -- so I hope it turns out.

ooh, report back- carrot cake is my favorite!
if you search the forum for Bru's pumpkin log, you might adapt it pretty easily- has creamcheese frosting, too- i LOVE it (it's flax blased).

cshepard Wed, Apr-06-16 21:19

I make pumpkin biscotti using this Atkins recipe, and put them in the freezer to pull out one every once in a while...

https://www.atkins.com/recipes/pumpkin-biscotti/2081