Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   8 month diet complete (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453729)

SmallHorse Fri, Jul-05-13 03:08

8 month diet complete - 4 months on

So 8 months ago I started a low carb diet, weighing in at 442 lbs...
My original aim was to reach 17 st and lose 204 lbs in those 8 months and this morning, on my final weigh-in for this part of my weight loss, I weighed in at 248 lbs - 10lbs above what I'd hoped to achieve, making a total loss of 194 lbs.
I'm not disappointed or annoyed for not reaching my goal though, because my doctor believes I have in the region of 25-30 lbs of excess skin on me at the moment, which when taken into consideration, means I weigh approximately 16 st or lighter.
I still have tonnes of work to do in terms of losing weight, rebuilding muscle, then preparing for surgery for the loose skin, but today marks a milestone for me. I'm about half the man I used to be =p

Well guys, today is my birthday, so I'm going to enjoy a few beers and a curry with my friends tonight, I'll post a picture today of what I look like for you all to see =]
Good luck to everyone out there working towards a goal.
Kick life in the face and make no excuses for not being awesome =D

here is my original thread from December when I joined this site
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=448593

Picture of me at the end of the diet
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...age.php?i=36284

- 4 months on -

So 4 months on from my Low carb Journey and I can honestly say I know more about my body now than I ever did before or during The diet.

After My low Carb diet and brief spell of eating junk food, I put on about 10 lbs - of which most of it was water retention.

Since then, I've had a 6 week spell of a balanced diet (I.e. plenty of soup and veg and chicken, milk etc) and I stayed at about 4 lbs over my finishing weight from the low carb diet.
I used these 6 weeks to give my muscles a break, which severely shrank due to how I approached my Low carb diet (less than 5g of carbs a day)

After these 6 weeks I began dieting again, only this time it wasn't a low carb diet.

I started of the morning with 500ml of semi skimmed milk and whey protein powder, then I'd swim 3-4km or so in about an hour, then immediately have another 500ml of semi skimmed milk and whey protein powder.
For lunch, I'd have 200g of chicken and 2 cups of whole wheat pasta - Half of which at 11am, the other half at 2pm
and for dinner I would have 2 cups of whole wheat pasta plain.

This made my muscle recovery accelerate and regain all the muscle I'd lost from low carbing (See my photo's of my arms)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/....php?i=36397&c= and now I'm consistently weighing in at 10 lbs under my finishing low carb diet weight, but with all the muscle I had lost, my excess skin had worsened.

Now, 53 weeks from the start of my diet I am awaiting the first of 3 operations to remove excess skin, which is less than 2 weeks away In Brno, Czech Republic.

After Consultations with several Surgeons, It was concluded that I have between 40-50 lbs of excess skin.... now If you take even the lower of those 2 figures, that puts me at around 185 lbs.... which is Ideal for my height / build.

The reason I selected to do it in Brno is mainly the Price - the surgeon and facilities are great over there too.

But all 3 operations over here would cost in the region of £22500+
and over there, including hotels and flights it's about £10500...

For me, there is no comparison =]

So this time in 2 weeks, I'll have had the skin on my chest and arms removed.

Second operation is going to be in around February on my tummy
Third is in around May, which will be on my back and legs.

Then, once I've healed, I can finally start training to play Rugby again and take up MMA like I've always wanted to.

I'll post updates whilst I'm over there and pictures so people will know what it's like to have skin removal surgery done.

Regards =]

James x

peauk Fri, Jul-05-13 05:50

Happy Brithday and Huge congrats on your impressive weight loss. :agree:
Keep it up and enjoy your curry :) :)

lovinita Fri, Jul-05-13 08:18

Whoo Hooo!!!!! Congrats on meeting your goal.... You must be thrilled! I wish you luck on maintaining and getting the excess skin removed. let us know how that goes (excess skin) I will probably have to do that once I am done.

Have a fantastic Birthday what an accomplishment to celebrate!

Emzi06 Fri, Jul-05-13 11:22

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful birthday gift--gaining your health back! Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your night out with your friends.

JEY100 Sun, Jul-07-13 11:30

What an inspiring Success Story! :clap: :clap: Well done.
You are now officially AWESOME.

TeresaTX Sun, Jul-07-13 12:33

Happy Belated Birthday and congratulations!! Terrific progress.

Chris_D Tue, Jul-09-13 07:37

You ARE AWESOME!! :cheer: What an accomplishment and what an inspiring success story!!

Continued success, health and happiness!

Congrats!! :Party:

SmallHorse Wed, Jul-10-13 01:45

My Birthday was good... I got quite drunk and managed about 13 pints and half of my meal... but after 4 days I was sick of eating junk food, so I've already started eating healthily, Swimming every morning for an hour before work, having protein shakes before and after breakfast... I guess I'm not up to being lazy and eating crap good any more... which is a nice surprise =D
Thanks for all the birthday wishes guys =] Hope you're all keeping well

aramaya Wed, Jul-10-13 03:07

Well done....fantastic job...happy belated birthday:).glad you enjoyed your birthday bash, 13 pints god I woukdnt be able to stand, lol...but great that you are back on it,,, good going..:).

joel381 Fri, Jul-26-13 13:48

Great job on the loss, huge success story, could tell when you where 1/2 way done you would do well. Keep up the good work...

Caroxx Sat, Jul-27-13 10:42

Congrats - you have done very very well! Hoping for all the best for you! But I'd switch out the beer for wine or vodka! Enjoy the curry. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Caroxx

zajack Sat, Jul-27-13 15:59

:thup: nicely done!

zajack Sat, Jul-27-13 16:00

You look AMAZING!!!! Congrats!!! Hope your birthday was fab.

lovinita Wed, Nov-13-13 13:24

Hey james, I was wondering how your 1st operation turned out?

SmallHorse Wed, Nov-13-13 17:01

It's in just under two weeks =]

Sheena82 Sat, Nov-16-13 17:21

Thats amazing!! Well done!! Happy birthday x

Judynyc Sun, Dec-08-13 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHorse
It's in just under two weeks =]

Good Luck with this!! :thup:

and please come back and tell us how it went!! :agree:

Maori Wed, Apr-30-14 15:10

THank you so much for sharing your journey. Very inspiration.

Any update on how the surgery went?

glidergirl Thu, May-15-14 21:34

Congratulations! You look great! I hope you are still maintaining!

Entropy39 Mon, Jun-23-14 11:46

just seeing these pictures now amazing progress!!! what ever ended up happening with the operations - and what is MMA?

virgiga Tue, Jul-08-14 04:34

read these posts improves mood and increases the hope!

Maori Wed, Jul-09-14 15:40

Yep - Reading the member success and progress threads are very motivating and encouraging.

squashtoo Wed, Jul-09-14 16:32

Congrats on your current and continued success.

tibet Wed, Jul-16-14 19:19

Happy Birthday! Late though the wish is.

What an amazing story you have. Best of luck going forward - what an inspiration you are!

Hope the surgeries go well.