Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Maple Walnut Icing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215377)

*Sheila* Sat, Oct-04-08 08:04

CANNOT wait to make these!!! I have been waiting though! The old HIGH CARB version of this is so yummy my entire family loves them! I cant' wait to sneak these in on them!

GrooveJock Sun, Oct-19-08 18:29

Ok gang, John and I made these tonight. THEY WE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

I used Erythritol (1/4 cup) and SF Caramel syrup instead of slpenda in the batter and 2 TBL Erythritol AND 2 TBL Caramel sryup in the frosting. Erythritol did wonders to the frosting. We seriously could not tell it was sugar free!!!!

:yum: :yum: Oh and I also used coconut oil for the oil. :yum: :yum:

Lie2MeJL Sun, Oct-19-08 21:17

it's probably in the tread here somewhere, but does anyone have the calorie count for this?

Lie2MeJL Sun, Oct-19-08 21:59

Actually nevermind, I adjusted the recipe and plugged it into fitday. I subsituted Carbquik for the almond flour, omited the splenda and calculated only 1/3 C oil

Here is what I found:

For the entire recipe w/o frosting
Calories: 1370; Fat: 118.5; Carbs (net): 26.3;

per 1/18th Calories: 76; Fat: 6.6; Carbs (net): 1.46

The icing alone
Calories: 607; Fat: 58.3; Carbs (net): 8.9

Per 1/18th Calories: 33; Fat: 3.2; Carbs (net): .5

For the entire cake with icing
Calories: 1,977; Fat: 176.8; Carbs (net): 35.2

Per 1/18th Calories: 109.8; Fat: 9.82; Carbs (net) 1.95

Lie2MeJL Mon, Oct-20-08 11:31

made a small mistake- only plugged in one tbsp of butter in for the icing so you can add about 90 cals to the icing and entire cake with icing...divided by 18 though it only adds 5 cals per slice :)

Lie2MeJL Thu, Oct-23-08 12:11

finally made these. Love them.

I will be making them in a pan smaller than 9X13 next time though.

I'm seriously worried about my abilitiy to practice portion control right now.

Annie1gi Sun, Nov-02-08 16:25

I have these in the oven baking now, I used an 8x8 pan instead of the 9 x 13 pan.

I also used 1/2 almond flour and half flax seed meal, 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder.......

I will be using cranberry/creamcheese frosting........Yum (I hope) :D

I dust the frosting with a tablespoon of almond flour instead of the chopped nuts.

kimiliciou Tue, Nov-25-08 15:59

I will be making these tomorrow... can't wait to try them on Thanksgiving!

kimiliciou Thu, Nov-27-08 01:39

I made these tonight and ended up giving in and having a little piece tonight to see how they tasted. I REALLY liked them. My only thing is that they kinda fall apart easily... not because they're too moist but because they were too crumbly. They wern't burnt, I only had them in the oven for about 23 minutes (when recommended is 30-40). Oh well, guess this means I will be using a smaller pan next time. Or could it use another egg? More oil?

Luzyanna Thu, Dec-11-08 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiliciou
I made these tonight and ended up giving in and having a little piece tonight to see how they tasted. I REALLY liked them. My only thing is that they kinda fall apart easily... not because they're too moist but because they were too crumbly. They wern't burnt, I only had them in the oven for about 23 minutes (when recommended is 30-40). Oh well, guess this means I will be using a smaller pan next time. Or could it use another egg? More oil?

I made these again today - they always turn out great. Mine have never fallen apart but I use Davinci and Splenda so maybe it helps it stick together more. If you use only Splenda, I'd suggest trying a little heavy cream to the pumpkin mix. I make mine in a 8x11 pan and cook for 35 minutes.

AlaneHilo Tue, Dec-23-08 22:07

This was delicious! I didn't have any walnuts but I made them with walnut oil (also substituted it for the butter in the frosting) and erythritol. Yum!!

Luzyanna Sat, Mar-13-10 19:29

Bumping because this recipe is too good to fall out of the top 10. :agree:

graciejean Thu, May-06-10 17:31

I can taste them now,lol

chermac Tue, May-18-10 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1gi
I have these in the oven baking now, I used an 8x8 pan instead of the 9 x 13 pan.

I also used 1/2 almond flour and half flax seed meal, 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder.......

I will be using cranberry/creamcheese frosting........Yum (I hope) :D

I dust the frosting with a tablespoon of almond flour instead of the chopped nuts.

I did something similar - because I didn't have enough almond flour. Used 1/3 cup each almond flour, flax meal and coconut flour. Had no walnuts, and decided to use 3/4 cup Splenda. I have GOT to get some of those wonderful DaVinci syrup flavors! The bars were fantastic, not sure how much the carb count changed by using the difference flours, I know that both flax meal and coconut flour have loads of fibre.

Buttoni Fri, Jul-02-10 10:06

Man, these sound great. And the icing could even be used on other cakes/desserts. Thanks for sharing. I've printed and plan on trying this one soon!