Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Heat Wave: Your Favourite Hot Weather Foods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482744)

Kristine Fri, Jul-05-19 14:11

Heat Wave: Your Favourite Hot Weather Foods

It's hotter than heck, you don't have A/C, and you don't want to further heat up your kitchen. What are your staple meals, snacks and drinks?

- Salads are an obvious one. Here's a thread devoted to meal salad ideas.
- SF Jello - I use the microwave to boil the cup of water.
- Iced tea - Make really strong tea (4 tea bags) in a mug in the microwave, let it steep and cool, pour over ice in a pitcher, add cold water/sweetener/lemon juice to taste... or get some cold brew tea bags and do it all in the fridge.
- Iced coffee. I add some sweetener while it's hot, chill it, then add the cream when I pour it over ice.
- Yogurt and berries
- Smoothies with frozen berries, peanut butter, protein powder, pasteurized liquid eggs, yogurt... whatever.
- Lettuce wraps with whatever usual sandwich you'd have.
- Plain ol' deli plate: deli meats or plain leftover cooked meat, cheeses, pickles, sliced veggies, dip.
- Pork rinds with salsa and sour cream.
- Cold noodle salads: either shirataki or spiralized zucchini. I like to make a glass noodle type of salad, or it works as any other pasta salad.
- Cold leftover crustless quiche. Sounds weird, but I love it!
- Smoked salmon - thaw and enjoy. My favourite way to do this is almost like faux sushi - roll it up with seaweed snacks, avocado and cream cheese; dip in soy sauce.

Cooking tips:
- If I need to use the oven, I'll try to plan ahead and do multiple recipes at once. I keep an eye on the weather forecast and pick a kitchen monkey morning when it's going to be coolest. I do most of the prep ahead of time.
- I like to make max use of the microwave. If I really want hot food, I'm guaranteed to have leftovers in the freezer I can just nuke. (Let's back this up: always cook enough for leftovers. ;) ) Maybe I'll nuke a small container of chili that I'll dip pork rinds into, along with some sour cream, salsa and/or guacamole.
- Use your crock pot and maybe even take it to the basement, garage, spare room, etc and cook a big batch of chicken breasts or a roast overnight.
- BBQ! I don't have one, but have at 'er if you do.
- My clam shell grill heats up really quickly, cooks things really quickly, and doesn't really heat up the kitchen. Perfect for already-cooked meats like wieners and smoked sausage.

Bob-a-rama Fri, Jul-05-19 18:44

I live in Florida and don't use the AC.

I drink a lot of refrigerated water. Ice cream is good (Rebel and Carb Smart). A lunch could be slices of cheese and refrigerated ripe olives.

I don't worry about it much though. I pretty much eat the same things. I even drink hot coffee and tea.

Bob

ferrygirl Fri, Jul-05-19 22:09

Following! I never know what to eat in the summer except salad

Ms Arielle Fri, Jul-05-19 23:38

My son whips up frozen cranberries with water in the blender. A touch of crystal lite to sweeten.

I like adding ice before blending myself.

Cool and refreshing and supports anti colon cancer bacteria.

mviesprite Sat, Jul-06-19 05:12

A go-to I'd always done was making a savory molded salmon mousse or "salad" - cold and refreshing. I have a perfect copper mold ring that works. And you can make a sauce with it or not.
- Kat
ps so glad to see this thread, Kristine!

s93uv3h Sun, Jul-07-19 01:17

iced coffee.

iced tea.

I always have 30 oz Ozark Trail tumblers that I keep filled with green tea bags and water ready to go. I've also got cold coffee going also.

mviesprite Wed, Jul-17-19 08:09

Finding a surprising number of recipes for the toaster oven - Have made Chicken Nachos in it w/canned chicken, black olives instead of black beans, and pork rinds instead of chips. They turn out really well and no heating the kitchen.
I also made stuffed Poblanos, same deal, canned chicken, so no cooking.
(Many people probably already use their toaster oven - new to me!)
Kat

Kristine Wed, Jul-17-19 08:39

Can't believe I didn't think of this one: rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. One of our local stores (Metro) also does nice pork roasts, ready to go. I watch for specials when the cooked chicken is basically the same price as buying a raw one and cooking it yourself.

Ms Arielle Wed, Jul-17-19 10:15

Today--- ICE WATER !

And maybe an omelet.

Bob-a-rama Wed, Jul-17-19 14:12

From the refrigerator, cheese (cheddar and a few others), black olives, and unsalted mixed nuts. No cooking, keto friendly, minimal clean up, and tasty.

Bob

Ms Arielle Thu, Jul-18-19 06:17

Yesterday too HHH for even an omlet.

COLD bone broth, aka turkey soup, with meat and fat; and a cold salad of fresh picked greens , evoo, acv, parmesan cheese.

Cold bone broth is not for the faint of heart; but learning to eat new foods thru following DANDR has widened what my palate can handle.

Squarecube Fri, Jul-19-19 05:40

If you’re making bone broth you can go a step further and make aspic salad with chicken pork, etc. don’t forget to add vinegar spices. Sometimes you might have to add extra plain gelatin. Or if you are in a truly Lazy Bone heat wave mood, just go out and buy head cheese.... it scares a lot a folk, but it shouldn’t , serve with dressed up mayo

Meme#1 Fri, Jul-19-19 12:16

Canned tuna fish with mayo and refrigerated!

s93uv3h Fri, Jul-19-19 13:40

cold coffee
cold green tea
kefir and nuts / seeds

i'd normally say iced coffee / iced tea, but there's no frozen water involved lol.

:)

Ms Arielle Fri, Jul-19-19 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
If you’re making bone broth you can go a step further and make aspic salad with chicken pork, etc. don’t forget to add vinegar spices. Sometimes you might have to add extra plain gelatin. Or if you are in a truly Lazy Bone heat wave mood, just go out and buy head cheese.... it scares a lot a folk, but it shouldn’t , serve with dressed up mayo

Love head cheese-- have never found it in these parts though......