Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Candida Yeast & IBS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   oil of oregano? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=168292)

trustycat Fri, Feb-20-04 21:42

oil of oregano?

Hi,
i was just wondering if anyone has tried oil or oregano for IBS/Candida...and if it helped? Were there side effects-- a similar thread in the atkins forum suggests that it can increase weight loss and increase metal energy to the point of sleeplessness?

Also, is there a way to tell if I have Candida?-- my doctor doesn't
"believe" in it and my GI didn't think I had IBDs(thought it was a parasite though my tests were negative), but I often get EXTREMELY bloated to the point of pain, especially after I eat cheese and nuts. Also, my palms get really itchy after I eat certain foods-- like broccolli, and i have dry skin.... i'm so confused with what's going on in my body, all these problems have happened recently.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
thanks,
trustycat

toning_up Tue, Feb-24-04 06:05

Pages 208 and 209 of the 2002 DANDR discuss candida and the treatments. On 209 he mentions Oil of Oregano as a treatment for this.

I have been taking it for a few weeks. I believe I had some die off symptoms of candida in the days following the first doses. Tummy pain, bloating, and lots of BMs. Now I seem to be pain free so I'm guessing I have killed off a lot of candida?

I also take a probiotic.

trustycat Tue, Feb-24-04 16:11

thanks for replying! What's a BM though? And what dosage oregano oil do u take? Will u stop taking the oil now that the candida is gone or can it come back (this yeast thing is so scary, but maybe its been the cause of all my tummy problems these past few months!)

Monika4 Tue, Feb-24-04 16:27

There is a long thread that tells you a lot about people's experience with oil of Oregano. Look for oil of Oregano by 2Brickie in the "Atkins" Forum! there are over 100 comments to it. I looked at it yesterday and thought I might try it too.

BM is American English for bowel movement, aka poop. Is probably called something different in Britain and Australia or whatever.

PKV Tue, Feb-24-04 19:33

I have been "watching" the thread about it and I am insecure about trying it only because I suffer from IBS "constipation" sorry. Have any IBS sufferers tried it and it worked?

trustycat Tue, Feb-24-04 21:12

hey PKV-- i'm in the same boat...also insecure about it, don't the side-effects seem terrible?!

PKV Wed, Feb-25-04 05:19

Hey Trusty Cat I am nervous about it too but if it could help the side effects might be worth it. Tired of the IBS

jedswife Wed, Feb-25-04 13:22

check out the thread entitled
"oil of oregano helps stall"

i have recently tried and i love it but i dont have ibs. although i have heard it does help ibs and have recommended it to my mom who does have ibs

trustycat Wed, Feb-25-04 16:15

yeah, i've been following that thread-- some of the sideeffects look quiet unpleasant! What dosage are you taking? Have u noticed any effects/benefits?

Jeanne Sch Wed, Mar-03-04 22:22

I don't claim to be a IBS know it all :) but I've read in many a place that it is thought that IBS is just a yeast infection with a medical name - meaning they are the same thing. Yup, oil of oregano is likely to put anyone through some discomfort if they have a yeast issue of the gut (I'm the queen of Fungus) but it is a good thing to get rid of it and it usually only last a few days and almost never longer than a week.
Perhaps you all could try 1/2 of what is recommended as the dose so your die-off effect won't be so strong.
HTH :)
Jeannie

JustAGirl Wed, Aug-25-21 19:15

I want to try OoO for my constipation as well but am unsure of dosage.

Zuleikaa Thu, Aug-26-21 05:09

Here you go
Zuleikaa’s Vitamin C Flush
If you fight the yeast without healing the body, boosting the immune system, and giving it the nutrients it needs for balance and health, the candida will always come back.

Candida Treatment - 3 Weeks to 3 months

Twice a day (immune system healer/mood enhancement)
Multivitamin with minerals (2 pill dose)
4,000-8,000 IU vitamin D3
10,000 IU vitamin A (from fish liver)
1800 mg calcium
800-1200 mg magnesium
200 mcg GTF chromium
300 mg alpha lipoic acid (chelation)

Every hour. Once Candida is gone 4 times a day for another month
450 mg oregano oil
1,000 mg vitamin C
1,000 mg ester C
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in 8+ ounces of water

Drink plenty of water!!! You will have a lot of die off and foul smelling loose stools. That's all right. It's supposed to happen.

JustAGirl Fri, Aug-27-21 20:55

I started today. 2 capsules 1500mg.