Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   XL-S Carb Blocker (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=457367)

traceyblue Sat, Jan-04-14 11:07

XL-S Carb Blocker

I saw an advert on the telly today for XL-S Fat Binder. I know what this is, as my doctor once prescribed it to me (as Orlistat), and it was awful.

But at the end of this advert, they added a wee tagline to also 'try XL-S Carb Blocker'.

Anyone know what this is, or tried it, or read anything about it?

Elizellen Sun, Jan-05-14 15:27

I imagine it would have some toilet effects as it would be stopping your body use the energy in the carbs (assuming it does that) and the bulk of the food you are eating has to go somewhere.

Simpler (and cheaper) to cut down on starchy carbs instead I would think.

Elizellen Sun, Jan-05-14 15:30

The ehow.com entry for carb blockers included this info
Quote:
Effectiveness

In a small study of non-obese men published in 1983 in "Science," and another study published in 1982 in the "New England Journal of Medicine," researchers concluded that a commercial alpha-amylase inhibitor had no effect on starch digestion or absorption. A later study, conducted in 1998 and published in "Pancreas," found that while amylase inhibitors delayed carbohydrate absorption, the overall effect on carbohydrate absorption was minimal. However, the inhibitors did produce a reduction in blood glucose concentrations after meals. Therefore, researchers concluded that carb blockers may be useful in controlling diabetes. No studies exist investigating the long-term effects of using a carb blocker.

Side Effects

Because carb blockers may delay digestion of carbohydrates, they are delivered undigested to your colon where they are broken down by bacteria. Hydrogen, carbon dioxide and, in some cases, methane are the by-products of this process. You may experience excess gas, bloating or diarrhea.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8191757_carb-blockers.html

traceyblue Mon, Jan-06-14 07:18

I was just wondering if keeping some on hand for a day when I might exceed my allowed carbs might be a good idea, but those side effects don't sound very nice...

Rattybag Wed, Feb-12-14 07:27

OMG this stuff gave me appalling stomach cramps and oily diarrhea from hell!! Deffo to be avoided, even though they say it doesnt have side effects.
If you look at the reviews on amazon about them, (and from experience) they certainly do have side effects and nasty ones at that!!

Liz53 Wed, Feb-12-14 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyblue
I was just wondering if keeping some on hand for a day when I might exceed my allowed carbs might be a good idea, but those side effects don't sound very nice...

I'm reminded of the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Not only does LC slim us, but it brings other benefits as well. I'm afraid if there were a way to "negate" excess carbs, I'd only be encouraged to cheat.

Ann_LC Fri, Feb-14-14 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattybag
OMG this stuff gave me appalling stomach cramps and oily diarrhea from hell!!

OMG - this cracked me up! :lol: I remember another "diet" pill a few years ago - and when the commercial had to list the side effects for it, one of the side effects was:

"May produce an oily discharge and an inability to control it"

I remember thinking - who the hell would chance that?!?!?!

Rattybag Sat, Feb-15-14 03:36

I remember a product like that too, and wouldnt have bought it if said that! But this one said no side effects!!
I nearly pebble-dashed my bathroom! Was awful!!
Who needs colonic irrigation when there is this product??? :nono:

ojoj Sat, Feb-15-14 04:40

Was this stuff called "xenical" in the UK several years ago and was prescription only??? , it blocked fat absorption and therefore caused "seapage" - which was what it says (yuk). It was apparently bright orange and stained underwear !!!!!

As for the "carb blocker" version????? Nah, I have no idea if it works, if its genuine, but surely its easier not to eat carbs????

Jo xxx

traceyblue Sat, Sep-06-14 14:19

yes... orlistat and xenical are the same thing.

traceyblue Sat, Sep-06-14 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
As for the "carb blocker" version????? Nah, I have no idea if it works, if its genuine, but surely its easier not to eat carbs????

If it was 'easy' not to eat carbs, I wouldn't be obese!

Sereen Sat, Sep-06-14 14:31

traceyblue: This is a low carb forum, not a drug forum. I wouldn't steer you towards drugs as the short or long term solution for your issues either. ojoj, I am sure, intended that it was easier to not eat carbs than to take a potentially bad pharmaceutical. Relatively speaking, I would tend to agree.

traceyblue Sun, Sep-20-15 08:20

It was just a question.