Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Biscuits (Almond Flour) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=233566)

tortoise Thu, Feb-10-05 18:01

Biscuits (Almond Flour)

These are "drop biscuits" as opposed to the kind you roll out. I've been tinkering with these for a long time, and I'm pretty pleased with the texture.

I especially like these as a topping for pot pie - I recently found out this is called "Vermont Pot Pie", which fits, since that's where I grew up, and it's how my mother made it. If you do this, make the inside of the pot pie on the stove (I could post a low-carb version if anyone is interested) and put it into a casserole dish when it's boiling hot. Then spoon the biscuits over the top, leaving about half an an inch or so between them. Cook at 400 until the biscuits are golden brown - about 10 minutes.

Low-Carb Biscuits

- 2 and 1/4 C almond meal/flour
- 3 T coconut oil or palm oil - the latter is marketed as "Trans-fat Free Shortening" and I get it at the health food store. If you don't have either of these, use butter, but they won't be quite as fluffy. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OIL - it needs to be solid at room temperature. Believe me, this will end in tears if you do - I speak from experience!

- 1.5 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 C powdered egg whites

Combine the almond meal and the oil until evenly distributed. Add the rest of the dry ingredients. If you use dry sweetener, include.

- 1 T worth of sweetening power

Then, add about a cup of liquid. At least half of it should be heavy cream, and I include my liquid sweetener here. I often use unsweetened soy milk for the other half of the liquid, but more cream, half and half, or milk also work. I haven't tried water.

Combine, then let the mixture sit a minute or two. Mix again, and drop by spoonfuls onto foil or a foil-lined sheet pan. Bake about 10 minutes at 400, or until golden brown. Or top a casserole with them as above.

MargaritaL Fri, Jun-03-05 13:37

Do you know how many biscuits can you get from this recipe? the carb count?
Margarita

PML Sun, Jun-05-05 10:04

Oh, yes... please do post the low carb version of the pot pie filling! Thank You!

Phyllis

jjb2000 Wed, Nov-30-05 10:02

We don't have any health food stores here. Is there a substitute for the powdered egg whites? I assume regular shortening or lard would work in place of the oil.

PML Wed, Nov-30-05 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb2000
We don't have any health food stores here. Is there a substitute for the powdered egg whites? I assume regular shortening or lard would work in place of the oil.

Most all grocery stores carry the powdered egg whites. They may be a challenge to find. I find that they are usually with the buttermilk powder. I will try to remember to check next time I go to the grocery store. Just ask someone who works there.

Phyllis

IslandGirl Fri, Jun-30-06 02:40

Yikes, you think powdered egg whites are hard to find retail? Should try finding them in Canada! Very hard to find at all anywhere.

:lol:

kevinpa Fri, Jun-30-06 03:04

Honeyvillegrain sells both powdered whole eggs and egg whites. I love baking with the powdered whole when you have extra liquid in a recipe. You can use your extra liquid to reconstitute the eggs.

IslandGirl Fri, Jun-30-06 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Honeyvillegrain sells both powdered whole eggs and egg whites. I love baking with the powdered whole when you have extra liquid in a recipe. You can use your extra liquid to reconstitute the eggs.

Believe me, I know about Honeyville, Kevin. It's finding things north of the border without having to go through the customs and quadrupled (at least) shipping costs that's the difficulty.

zorra_1 Fri, Jul-28-06 07:57

Thanks IslandGirl for bumping this! :thup:

serrelind Fri, Jul-28-06 08:29

Oh goody, I gotta try this later.

deb34 Fri, Jul-28-06 14:06

Powdered Egg whites hard to find for Canadians!

here's a site that sells bulk powdered eggwhite into Canada as well AND they claim the following:

"When shipping by UPS Canada Standard
All taxes are included in prices. Any PST, GST and HST taxes.
All import duties
No additional costs.

All fees paid by Bulkfoods.com: All taxes
Custom Brokerage
Package insurance
No money due upon delivery."

i'm very tempted to try this out!

Islandgirl; what do you think? too good to be true?

IslandGirl Fri, Jul-28-06 15:40

Sounds fabulous! However did you find that?

I suspect it has to do with UPS Canada's new x-border shipping program, all inclusive. They were losing a LOT of business when word got around about their brokerage charges. ;)

I'm going to go look at it now...and add it to my Egg Whites/Albumen spreadsheet and see how it compares. Thanks, Deb!

~~~

ps: what are the first 3 digits of your postal code? I end up in UPS zone 56 based on my postal code...

:wave:

deb34 Fri, Jul-28-06 15:49

islandgirl;
the eggwhites are under food then baking on the home page...

i just attached the shipping page for reference....sorry! :)

IslandGirl Wed, Aug-09-06 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
islandgirl;
the eggwhites are under food then baking on the home page...

i just attached the shipping page for reference....sorry! :)

Sorry for the wait, deb...no attachment BTW but no problem, I dug it out myself after I woke up and chased the link in moments (what was I thinking?).

Haven't plugged it into my spreadsheet yet (this waking up at 4:30 am is REALLY for the birds) but the pricing looks good, though the shipping is a little steepish...could well balance out, tho I'm looking at the 5# which together with packaging is going to be just OVER 5# and that's a pricing border. Never mind, enough whining. Looks like an excellent source, possibly competitive with Honeyville now they've raised their prices on egg whites.

Stay tuned ;)

ccambronau Wed, Aug-27-08 18:24

I made this with 2 real eggs and left out the extra liquid. (included the cream.) Put in greased muffin pan. Turned out great! Delish!