Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Turtle Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   At Last!!! Making Progress (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103526)

JudeJudy Tue, May-06-03 15:07

At Last!!! Making Progress

[Hi Everyone! :wave:

Just wanted to stop in with a little post and to let you all know what seems to be working better for me of late. I am on the Atkins plan and started out great in my first 10 days or so and lost about 5 lbs-then stalled out for 4 weeks! So decided to decrease my daily calories ( I know what is said about keeping calories up to 10-12% of body weight) but it wasn't working for me! So i am keeping my calories around 1200 now , for less then a week and have dropped another 5 lbs! I also added-not eating ANYTHING after my dinner at 6... Soooooo? it just may have been time for a Whoooosh! for me????? or the lower calories are helping! I guess we are all different! what works for one doesn't the other, etc. Just my 2 cents worth on what is working for me now. More time will tell!!

Good Luck all on your LC Journey

Jude

zandria72 Fri, May-09-03 17:34

Well I hope that you won't have to stay with 1200 calories for long. In fact, I'd suggest NOT doing it for long...and bumping them back up to 1500 or so. Do you really want to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life? Sounds depressing to me. And I hear ya...I've had to do that in the past too. One day the motivation failed, and allll that weight I'd lost started coming back on at a remarkable pace. If nothing else, maybe you could have a day or two during the week where you eat considerably more--say 2000 kcal. If your body gets too used to 1200, you're in big trouble.

Congrats on the whoosh. ;)

SueJ Sat, May-10-03 06:29

I did low calorie in addition to following Atkins, and lost about 3 lbs in 2 weeks time. this is extremely good for me, as I had not lost a single oz in 5 months.

I only did low cal for 2 weeks, then went back to what is a normal diet for me, Atkins, but not watching calories for the most part. after another 2 weeks, I'm up 1 lb, probably a little water, but no additional loss.

I'm ready to start another 2 weeks low calorie trial again. It seems to work at least so far.

We're all very different, and this may not be necessary for most people. Just doing low carb might work for a large number of people, but some of us need to restrict our calories more than might be considered average.

If I ate the 10 - 12 x my weight in calories, I would surely continue to stall.

Good luck to you, but be careful not to starve yourself.

dallasalis Tue, May-13-03 04:44

I've been thinking of lowering my calories also. I haven't lost anything in 3 months. I just hate counting calories so I think I'll just cut out some whip cream, nuts, and only drink my 2 glasses of wine on the weekends. I've already cut out the bacon and sausage. It's so confusing about the fat vs low carb. If I upped my fat intake, I'd only be able to eat a very small amount to keep my calorie intake around 1400. If I eat more veggies, then I'm upping my carbs. I'm going to try to keep with lean red meats, fish, egg substitute, and chicken. Dallasalis

JudeJudy Tue, May-13-03 08:55

Dallasalis~

I know what you mean! Its such a vicious circle and feels like a juggling circus act at times,with carbs calories and fat portions. I have counted calories for so many yrs, so that part comes pretty natural. I have been warned of stalling out and going into starvation mode, so someone here in the forum (George) refreshed my memory as how calorie staggering may help there. It sort of tricks? your body and the ole bod doesn't know what the heck is going on with the varied calorie cunsumption, so its not so apt to shut its fuel burnin down (metabolism) I started the theory yesterday~ so we will see how it goes. Included the link FYI....As always not advising anyone, just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!
Jude :rose:

www.allyourstrength.com/nutrition_1202_cs.html

dallasalis Tue, May-13-03 13:50

Thanks Jude! I enjoyed the article. I wouldn't have any trouble with those high calorie days. What are you eating on those low calorie days? Dallasalis

SueJ Thu, May-15-03 05:38

Hi Jude

I thought I'd drop by to see how you are doing and let you know how I'm doing as well.

It just took me almost 4 weeks to lose the couple of pounds I put back on when I went back to low carb only and keeping the calories in the 10 - 12x range.

Watching calories in addition to low carb is definitely the right combination for me, and it looks like for you too. Maybe that's the solution for all of us who are real turtles.

For the first time, I'm eating like an OWL in terms of food choices, I was so tired of eating like I'm on induction for the last six months.

Tracking the calories is easy too since I was using fitday to track my carbs all along.

Good luck to you and I'll keep stopping by to see how we're doing. :thup:

zandria72 Thu, May-15-03 12:50

It just occurred to me how many calories that "10-12x" figure would be. I KNOW that I started out getting about that many calories when I was being more dedicated about my diet, and I didn't lose anything. I wonder about that figure...

JudeJudy Thu, May-15-03 20:39

Hey everyone :wave:

Dallasalis~my low calorie days go something like this~ A couple of hard boiled or scrambled eggs for breakfast with salsa, sometimes a slice of cheese--- Lunch is tuna salad or a lean ground beef patty with celery or radishes ~~ dinner is a big salad with a fat dressing..some frozen or canned veggies and chicken or a lean meat portion....thats basically it...I tally the calories as I go and add some fat here and there to fill calories and ME....Good luck now! :)

Sue~ Thanx for checkin' back with me...so far my weight is holding steady since that last 5 lbs was lost with the lowered calories. Too early to tell yet, what this calorie staggering will do. TOM is arriving soon..so I should see somemore loss hopefully in about a week or so. Good luck to you too!! keep me posted with your progress! Glad to hear that 4 lbs came back off! hoping there is more to come for you! :)

Zandria~ Maybe for the majority?? of people the 10-12 percentage works..but apparently not for me and for some others either, I'm learning~ We are all individuals, so why would one set in stone plan work for every*BODY* :confused: and of course best of luck to you too, in finding out what works Best for You! :)

Jude :rose:

bevbme Sun, May-18-03 18:18

whoopeeee Good Job

That's terrific calories do count! darn it :mad:

I've gained back 2 of 10 I lost 3 months ago, nothing coming off now. But today I ate and ate and ate. No one to blame but my self. No carbs but too many calories. and too few whole veggies.

I pan fried my only veggies/zuchinni.

Volume control- thats my new goal

zandria72 Sun, May-18-03 18:54

Volume control?? What's that? Sounds unpleasant... :D

Pugzilla Mon, May-19-03 14:58

I know this may sound weird, but I actually INCREASED my calories to kick start my weight loss! I went from about 1600 calories a day to about 1900-2000 calories a day and I lost 3 lbs in 4 days.

I am a really slow loser, and I'd heard this might kick start my metabolism. Apparently, it works. Sometimes cutting calories actually puts your body in "starvation mode" and slows down your metabolism, so this can actually end up stalling weight loss in the long run.

However, as you said, everyone is different. For me, however, I like the idea of increasing calories to lose rather than having to decrease! It's definitely easier and, of course, I am never hungry. In fact, some days I have to add an additional bit of butter or olive oil to a recipe just to get the calories up there, as I am already too full to eat anything more. My increase in calories also included some veggie carbs.

You may find similar threads about increasing calories and/or veggie carbs to kick start weight loss. Good luck! :wave:

Frances Sun, Jun-29-03 16:59

Counting Calories

I know this is an oldish thread and no one may read this but..........

Maybe counting calories isn't really the way to go but just reduce the amount you eat, so you still get the calories but your stomach isn't being overloaded. Also maybe too hard to burn off in exercise.

I'm a turtle in a turtles eyes and have being doing this for 6 months with only a loss of 2 kilos. Then I did the fat fast for a couple of days and bam lost 2 kilos in two days. But it's not much to eat and not something that I could do for a long time...so after 2 days I just reduced the amount I eat, not hughly, but another 2 kilos came off.........

So I'm happy.......and every now and again I have a small day...and I'm not hungry because I'm easting the stuff I'm aloud too.

What does anyone else think?