Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

vixen69 Thu, Aug-11-05 20:50

I've also never used chives in mine. I sometimes chop olives and mix it in for an extra zip.

seesah Fri, Aug-12-05 08:30

OH MYYYYY! It was yum yum! :yum: I tell ya, its alot better once its cooled down or even cold like I had it this morning, tastes just like a cold pizza slice. But as far as the cooling it for a bit, wellllll, that was a bit tough for me! :D I was so hungry at the time when it first came out of the oven & it was looking so good, I dug right in. :lol: Your right everyone, you don't even notice if there are chives or not. I'm sure its good with them, but I just didn't have them on hand. Overall...very good recipe. I will try & experiment with the recipe. I read on this thread the idea about making an enchilada quiche! Sounds yum too!

db81971 Sun, Aug-14-05 10:11

Breakfast Pizza

I made this for brunch this morning.

I made the crust like normal, but no garlic or italian herbs, just a bit of pepper.
I browned 1 lb tube of breakfast sausage, mushrooms and onions. Mozz cheese on top.

It turned out very good. Even my hubby ate it! ( That is a great accomplishment :) :yum:

I really would like a "sauce" for it. I tried a little bit of canned sausage gravy on a corner, but it did not trip my trigger.....

Does anyone have any ideas for a "sauce"

THanks
Beverly

Mykelogan Sun, Aug-14-05 10:43

Beverly,

I'm not following Atkins so I am not sure if this idea will be perfect for you but it is the first thing I thought of. Hope it might help! :) What about making a cream sauce without the flour of a traditional cream sauce? After sauteeing the mushrooms and onions, adding say a 1/2-1/4 cup of heavy cream and then bring that to a boil, reduce it until it is nice and thick and then stir in the cooked sausage. I like making a mushroom cream sauce like that to go over chicken and it works great. I sometimes will add a grated cheese to the sauce itself too, like parmesean or crumbled gorgonzola.
The other idea that popped into my head is to find a good hollandaise recipe and use that, so it becomes like an Eggs Benedict pizza. :)

Hope you find a good solution!
Mike :wave:

seesah Mon, Aug-15-05 08:28

I made this again, this past weekend, but I ended up making it like someone else suggested, and enchilada quiche and it was soooo good! :yum: I could of eaten the whole thing! I cooked ground beef with a little chopped onion while the "crust" was cooking. Then I mixed like 1/2 a can of enchilada sauce w/the beef, once the crust was done, I put the beef mixture on top and topped it all with a mexican blend of cheeses. It was to die for! :thup: In the crust part of it , I omitted the parmesan cheese and put some of mexican blend cheese in it instead and mixed in a little garlic powder & cayenne pepper, instead of the italian spices. My boyfriend and his 15yr old son really liked it!

phenomenon Wed, Aug-17-05 16:07

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!
I made this for dinner one day, and my family didn't even notice that it was low carb or "healthy" pizza!!!
This pizza helps me stick to this diet knowing that I can actually have pizza again!

Stajj Sun, Aug-21-05 13:33

There is nothing left to add about how great this recipe is, but I couldn't resist. I made this last night for dinner and I was AMAZED that cream cheese and eggs could make a "breaded" crust. My family was stunned, they thought for sure I had broke my diet and bought a refrigerated bread crust. Anyway, knowing I can now make this crust, I can come up with a number of different recipes to add to it. Such a great idea, thanks for sharing.

scrapbookr Fri, Sep-09-05 09:47

i see DDPQ in food journals almost everywhere and i had to see what it was all about.
I saw, i made, i ate and i love!
you will see DDPQ in my food journal now, too!

PML Fri, Sep-16-05 14:10

Deep Dish Breakfast Casserole/Quiche

I have been wanting to try a breakfast version of the DDPQ and finally got around to it today. OMG was this good!!! I can't wait until breakfast in the morning!

I had originally thought that I would use scrambled egg, sausage, onion, green pepper, green chile, and cheese. I didn't have any green pepper or green chile on hand so but I am sure that it would have been even better with these added.

Deep Dish Breakfast Casserole (DDPQ)

Crust:

4 oz softened cream cheese
3 eggs *
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 T, heaping Golden Flax, ground **
Salt
Pepper
2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, grated

Topping:

Cream Sauce ***
..... 1 1/2 cups Cream
..... 1 T Butter
..... Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
(Reduce until thick. (Mine reduced by about half.) It took about 30 - 45 minutes. You could add a thickener instead, if you like... or use a jar sauce.)

1/2 lb Breakfast Sausage, browned and crumbled

5 Eggs, scrambled ****
..... Cream
..... Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
..... 1/4 Large Vidalia Onion, chopped
..... 1-2 T Butter
(Saute chopped onion in butter until tender. Add egg and scramble just till soft scrambled.)

1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated *****
1 cup Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, grated *****

Preheat oven to 375.

Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth (I use a blender). Add cream, ground flax, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. (I didn't add any other spices to the crust because I knew that I would be seasoning the cream sauce and eggs and the sausage would be spicy.)

Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with oil. Put 2 cups monterey jack cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.

Remove from oven. Spread with cream sauce. Top with scrambled eggs and sausage. Cover with monterey jack and cheddar cheese.

Bake until cheese is melted and sausage and eggs are heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes or so.

I cut into 6 servings.

* The original recipe calls for 4 eggs and I would have used 4 eggs if I hadn't been an idiot. :D I started mixing the eggs for scrambling and realized that I needed eggs for the crust. I had already cracked all but 3 so I used the remaining eggs for the crust.

** Next time I think I will use even more flax. Perhaps 3 or 4 T. It helped give the crust a better texture.

*** I made a cream sauce but you could use a jarred sauce if you like.

**** I planned to use 6 eggs but did not have enough. Next time I will use 6 for the topping.

***** I grated a cup of each but I didn't use it all. Next time I would probably grate about 3/4 cup of each. You may want to use much less. I love lots of cheese!

Enjoy!!!

Phyllis

KellysURI Sun, Sep-18-05 08:06

I just tried mine w/Pesto sauce... Pesto has slighlty less carbs than the lowest low-carb pizza sauce, and it was very VERY yummy!

klc145 Tue, Sep-20-05 08:15

Wow! If anyone hasn't tried this, it is amazing. Nothing that hasn't already been said here but, thought I'd give my .02!

vixen69 Wed, Sep-21-05 07:58

I brough some to work and had one of my non-dieting skinny co-workers try it. She loved it and keeps talking about how great it was. And this was 2 months ago!

seesah Wed, Sep-28-05 14:34

Yummy everytime! :yum: Just made it recently with pepperoni as the topping for my sis & I (the LCarbers) And everyone in the house (non LCarbers) chowed it up too!

DdmnWlkng Tue, Oct-18-05 17:09

Hey Donald, Great recipe, just had it.

WONDERFUL JOB.

Rocks Sun, Oct-23-05 13:53

Don, I don't know how to thank you for sharing this recipe. It's absolutely delicious. I followed your recipe exactly and used a 13 x 9 pan, and it's perfect. It doesn't get any better than this! I don't like eggs so I was leary, but the only thing I taste is the cheddar cheese and the spices. Unlike some of the other poster's to this thread....I'm keeping my pizza to myself! I have enough left over for 3 days of breakfast on the run! Thank you so very, very much!!