Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   I Did It and You Can Too (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482002)

GailyGail2 Mon, Feb-11-19 10:35

I Did It and You Can Too

I went from 210 pounds to 135 pounds following a low carb diet. It took me a while -- 2-3 years -- but the weight came off and I have been in maintenance since July 2018.

I am a 55 year old woman who comfortably wears a size six. Here is what I did:

*Followed Atkins old school low carb
*Did Intermittent Fasting
*Walked an average of 10 miles per day, 5 or 6 times per week. This is totally optional though. You can lose weight on low carb without exercise!

I cooked a lot -- mostly ate grilled chicken, grilled pork, burgers, fresh salads and green vegetables like broccoli, spinach, asparagus, green beans, zucchini, etc. I also found low carb squashes that satisfied my craving for carbs and learned to make some good condiments for protein. I also made a lot of crust-less quiches and egg souffles.

In November of 2017, my beloved fiance and partner of 16 years died unexpectedly in the midst of heart surgery. That rocked my world deeply but I lost my appetite for a while and that did accelerate my weight loss. I lost interest in cooking as that was something we shared together. So for a while, my diet plan consisted of eating a chopped salad from Morton's (upscale steak house) or a grilled chicken greek salad for my local diner. I did alot of walking to help me heal through this trauma and that was good for the weight loss as well (but totally optional).

Now, 15 months after Tony's death, I am in a new place as a svelte single lady, albeit a middle aged one! Fortunately, I have a career and financial independence to help keep me afloat. And, I just started dating a very nice man -- who loves to eat but is especially carniverous, making it easier for me.

I have put back about five pounds from all the wining and dining we do on the weekends but am now working hard to trim that off. Maintenance is hard folks but it is doable and you can and will succeed.

Thank you for letting me share xo Gaily Gail :)

Gypsybyrd Mon, Feb-11-19 10:48

Congratulations on your success Gail!

GailyGail2 Mon, Feb-11-19 11:02

Thank you Gypsybyrd! I love your name!

CityGirl8 Mon, Feb-11-19 12:01

Congratulations! It's great to hear from people who have been in maintenance for a while.

FREE2BEME Mon, Feb-11-19 21:33

Congratulations! I’m sorry for your loss, but I’m sure you’re glad that you had good eating habits in place when tragedy hit. The things you’ve learned along the way could be really helpful to other members here who are still figuring things out.

bluesinger Tue, Feb-12-19 08:17

Wonderful and positive success story, despite the loss of a dear loved one. You are brave and a great example.

khrussva Tue, Feb-12-19 09:04

Looks like a recipe for success to me. Congratulations! Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing that. It is a good life lesson that heartache & stress does not have to be a trigger to return to bad eating. I'm a walker, too. It is my best form of stress relief. I wish you the best with your new relationship and with your maintenance plan. Be well. Keep eating well.

JEY100 Wed, Feb-13-19 06:48

Congratulations on your success. Many would have used your loss as an excuse for returning to the easy to prepare and addictive carbs. It makes your 75 pounds weight loss all the more amazing. Best to you going forward in good health.