Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Chilidog Casserole (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=283401)

Marcia Mae Wed, Apr-26-06 08:14

I made this last night for dinner and it was delicious. We loved it so much - I think I'm going to make this again tonight!! And I especially love that it is soooo easy to make. Thank you so much for posting this recipe.

leasmom Mon, May-15-06 08:09

This is a recipe I can use to cook for the two non-lcers I have thanks so much!!!

ginyer Mon, May-15-06 08:42

This is Addictive!

I saw this last week and thought it would be a nice change...people were raving about it...well, at first I just thought it was okay, but it kept calling my name...I've made it three times now and still would like to have it again. The chili mixes vary on carbs, so just check the packaging and when you get it to a serving size, it's really not bad. I added a little mustard to mine and it was great...now if I can just stop making it!

leasmom Mon, May-15-06 09:45

I've got one question...which chili are you trying to make? Hot Dog chili type casserole or a Mexican chili casserole, the reason I'm asking is cause some sour cream and others used mustard.

ginyer Mon, May-15-06 10:25

Leasmom,

I don't know about everyone else, but I've done it both ways, sour cream or mustard, but both were good.

leasmom Mon, May-15-06 11:14

Oh Okay. I was thinking more along the lines of a Chili Dog, like the title, for me personally. I love chili dogs.and so this casserole is right up my alley but sure wish slaw could go on it.

Marcia Mae Mon, May-15-06 11:56

ginyer - i know what you mean about this recipe calling your name - it's soooo good. At first I made this recipe 3 times in one week - now I am down to once or twice a week. When I make mine - I use chili powder instead of seasoning because we always have that on hand. And I put lots of sour cream and chopped tomatoes on top. It tastes just like chili concarne. I suppose it wouldnt even need the hotdogs to be good - but my kids probably wouln't eat it if it didnt have hot dogs in it.

ginyer Mon, May-15-06 21:17

Somebody Stop Me!

I made this durn dish again....don't know what the deal is. I have lots of other recipes...and I'm just not that big a fan of hot dogs, but if I want something pretty quick for some reason I keep doing this one....anyway, I checked my chilli mix...I tried the packaged mix, but I have a favorite that I use when I'm not low carbing, and it is a jar sauce that you brown the meat and add the jar and some water...the carbs on it were like four for a serving.....but anyway, it was even less than the powdered chilli mix, so as I said above, read the labels...they all vary greatly. If this is something you might possibly like, adjsut it to your needs.

leasmom Tue, May-16-06 14:41

I did it today a little differently, more like a chili dog. I took the hamburger and put it on the bottom, then put some hot dog chili sauce on top, then put sliced hot dogs on top, then put onions and mustard, and then more chili sauce on top and then baked it for a half hour and put cheese on top. It was very good. My daughter cringed at the thought of a chili dog casserole but she wiped me out by eating a plate full. Next time I think I'll just put the hotdogs, onions and mustard atop of the hamburger, then put the chili dog sauce and then the cheese so it's less soupy. My chili dog sauce said it was 1g of carbs per 1 tablespoon and it had 5 grams of Dietary fiber, I bought it at Save-A-Lot. And I had coleslaw on the side. Down south, a chili dog includes slaw on top, but I ate it on the side. This was good and a keeper.

Luzyanna Thu, May-18-06 13:45

I can't wait until I get to maintenance so I can add some lc bread to this dish - maybe I won't eat so much of it then. :lol:

Marcia Mae Thu, May-18-06 18:32

i made this for dinner tonight...AGAIN. My son ate his with a bun and he loved it. Plus, there was more for the rest of us :)

ginyer Fri, May-19-06 05:37

Don't ask me why!

But this one just calls to me....I could eat it two or three times a week as a little lunch or whatever....so easy to heat up a little bowl of it. Who would have thunk!

maree00 Wed, May-31-06 16:12

Oh my gosh!!

Oh my gosh!! I have only been on this diet for 3 weeks and was getting bored with my food choices. Thank you thank you, this is the best thing I have had yet! It's perfect. Thanks again -Mel

nikeb00 Wed, May-31-06 19:16

Its sounds so good, it will be tomorrow nights dinner. I like that you said everyone likes it, I'm tired of eating seperate meals. thanx

GrooveJock Mon, Jun-12-06 07:26

Made this on Friday, what a treat!!! Posted a pic :-)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...p?i=21396&c=504