Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Turtle Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Turtle, Turtle,TURTLE! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123783)

FabMarta Fri, Jul-18-03 08:20

Turtle, Turtle,TURTLE!

I am on Atkins, have been since February. I was 237, have lost down to 206, and I have been stuck here for about a month. I have been working out, sticking to the plan, and no dice. I am STUCK.
What has worked for other people to get out of stalls? I have not been journaling my food, as that was my demise in Weight Watchers hell. (I don't want to journal the rest of my life!!!) But, I am willing for a little while if it will help me loose. My only indescretion is Low carb candy, one serving a day. Could that be the culprit?
HELP!!!
Thanks for all of your ideas and support,
fm
:angel: :angel: :angel:

Iwilldoit Sun, Jul-20-03 17:33

Hey FabMarta :wave:

I guess the candy could be a culprit, if it contains the sugar alcohol thingy. Seems that does stall some folks.

Whatever you do..DON'T go back to the sugar trough though! Stick it through if ya can girl. The first time I low-carbed, I made that mistake..stalled for a long time, something like six months, and then gradullay slipped back to eating the old way, regained all 70 lbs I had lost and then some! Hadda start all over again! Keep going, eating this healthy WOE :) , and I'm sure you'll get to your goal. Perhaps you could comb through the recipe file there and find something simple that would hit the sweet spot for you, but made by yourself and without the maltilol and stuff that seems to be a staller for some?

Keeping track of your food in Fitday might help too. I find I'm not that great at counting the carbs until I actually plug my stuff in there. I've found that quite helpful :)

Zuleikaa Sun, Jul-20-03 18:35

The candy could definitely be the culprit. Some people react to and stall on sugar alcohols. In that case, you have to count total carbs not just net carbs. It probably puts you over your limit and thus stalls you.

jude Sun, Jul-20-03 18:36

Hi FM,

Don't know if this will work for you, since you're not recording anything, but I broke a 2 month stall just by increasing my calories to 10-12 times my current weight. And I'm not alone--this works for a lot of people, because by eating too little, we've allowed our bodies to go into "starvation mode". For some reason, lowcarbing seems to lower our appetites...probably because fat is more satisfying.

Try eating your current normal low carb way for a few days and record everything at Fitday (I know it's a pain, but worth it). Then you can decide if eating more will help.

Hang in there--it does work!

judy

FabMarta Sun, Jul-20-03 21:35

You Rock!!!

:yay: You guys rock. This is such a motivating thread. Man! You are cool!
Ok, I started in fitday- I have been cutting out the atkins bars and candies and such, and I looked into the calorie thing. I think That I am doing ok on calories, but check out my fitday and let me know what you think...
I am going to have to cut out the LC candies. My goal is to be able to go to my sales meeting in October and say to everyone, "I lost 50 pounds!!!!!!!"( Ok, looking good and feeling good are also a motivator for me...) :yay: :yay:
I really appreciate all of your kind words and ideas. I'm keeping the faith, even if the scale isn't moving.

Thanks again,
fm

jude Sun, Jul-20-03 23:21

Hi Fab Marta,

One more thing you can do is go to this site to find out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)--that's the number of calories your body needs if all you did all day was lay in bed--and your Active Metabolic Rate (AMR)--the calories you need to maintain your present weight at your current level of activity.

http://www.healthyontario.com/engli...asp?text_id=240

I'm no expert at this, but I think to lose weight, you need calories somewhere in between the two numbers. Going below BMR means no loss and going above AMR results in a gain.

judy

FabMarta Mon, Jul-21-03 07:13

Ok, here are the stats:
My BMR is 1696. My AMR is 2374.
Interesting. I'll watch my fitday for the totals and see where I am on this.
Thanks again for the tip!
FM

cor2811 Sat, Jul-26-03 07:22

I am a new turtle. On the average how muchdoes onelos per week with atkins Corina cor2811~aol.com

cor2811 Sat, Jul-26-03 07:24

Are endulge candy bars and the atkins chocolate drinks allowed on induction? cor2811~aol.com (this is CORRECT web address)

jude Sat, Jul-26-03 10:06

Hi Cor,

Sorry, but you should stay away from the replacement foods (we call them "franken" as in frankenstein) during induction. Stick to real food for now at least. You may even find you don't need the franken foods later.

Good eating!

judy