Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

Dean4Prez Fri, Nov-07-03 04:21

I like the way it smells and tastes, and my non-LC wife likes it too.

HOWEVER, it seems to give us the runs :cry: -- her more so than me, but I've had to stay near the bathroom after eating it. Has anyone else had this problem?

DWRolfe Fri, Nov-07-03 12:12

:lol: Eww...Dean4Prez! What did you put on that thang? ;)

Seriously, wondering if it was too rich for y'all? Have you made it more than once and had the same reaction?

Donald

Supermommy Fri, Nov-07-03 12:35

Dean, I had the same exact thing happen to me last night.
I made it for the first time and have been sick since then. I have a feeling it was the eggs or that I did something worng. I did follow the recipe but made a few substitutions.
I used whipped cream cheese - you put it in the microwave for 40 seconds and it took about 30 seconds to whip it with the eggs. I also used Fat Free cheese and Turkey Pepperoni.
I am having it for luunch today... so we will see how it sits (no pun intended) later on.

My kids liked it and I love it as a next day meal !
I even baked a small extra one and threw it in freezer bags for quick meals.

Dean4Prez Sat, Nov-08-03 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRolfe
:lol: Eww...Dean4Prez! What did you put on that thang? ;)

Seriously, wondering if it was too rich for y'all? Have you made it more than once and had the same reaction?

Donald

Yeah, same reaction both times. I followed the recipe. I don't think I made it too rich with cheese -- the coverage on the top layer was a lot skimpier than the typical pizzaria pizza. I've gone through days at a time when I would eat a a 1/4 pound of breakfast sausage (cooked, undrained) scrambled with 3 eggs and a good deal of cheese, so it would be surprising if the quiche was simply too rich. Also, I've made a number of standard quiches with cheese, cream, and eggs on this WOE, so I don't think it's that combination giving me the sh..., excuse me, fits. :)

I had pepperoni on my side and my wife had hamburger on hers. The first time I made it, I wound up cooking the hamburger almost crispy by mistake. The second time, it wasn't crispy, but I was sure it was well done. Beyond that, we had sliced Roma tomatoes, some green pepper, and mushrooms.

I don't know what it is. I'm willing to take a chance on it again for myself, but we're going to try a Boboli crust for my wife's pizza the next time I bake one of the quiches for myself.

miabella Sun, Nov-09-03 14:57

I made this last night and it was fabulous!!! Thank you , Donald.

Athena123 Tue, Nov-11-03 21:29

Eating my first piece now and yum yum yum is all I can say. VERY filling! Hope no one in the house steals my leftovers!

eric909 Mon, Nov-17-03 18:22

Thank You Thank YOU this is awsome dish

el corazón Wed, Nov-19-03 15:48

I made a different version (Satihaps) of this to scale it down...

1.5 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1 T. parmesan
1/2 C. mozzerella (1/4 C as base-1/4 C as topping)
2 T. tomato sauce
dash garlic

I didnt have a small pan to bake it in so I made it into 2 muffins in a muffin tin. YUM! Smells soooooo good cooking! This doesnt taste exactly like pizza, has a taste all its own...but I love it just the same!! I took it out a lil bit before it was supposed to cuz the top was starting to get brown...Question...Is the crust supposed to be crusty cuz mine was just spongey. Im excited to try the other *muffin* for lunch tomorrow cuz everyone says its SOOO much better cold! Im gonna try a bite cold, and then reheat it, and if its still just as good as it is right outta the oven im gonna make a whole dozen or maybe 1/2 dozen. All hale the pizza quiche inventer whoever he/she may be! :) Next on my list...maple chicken, pumpkin cheesecake, and tofu nuggets! This should be interesting!! Have a good day all!!!!

brandiwyne Sat, Nov-22-03 20:19

Tried this and loved it! I had been craving pizza so bad and now I can have it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (I can't say it enough!)

patnaude12 Sat, Nov-29-03 09:17

Fabulous

Dear Donald,

DH and I had this for the first time last night, it was fabulous. :clap: :clap:

My DH doesn't LC and when he came to the dinner table he said "Ah Pizza!" I said that it was pizza but without the flour crust. He is a pizza lover and said that it doesn't matter about the crust. He ate several pieces and was still in love with it on the last piece that he ate. I will definitely make this again real soon. :thup: :thup:

I think it is the richness of this recipe along with the quantity of pepperoni that most people are reacting to. I don't care, I am going to eat the pizza no matter what. :yum: :yum:

Thanks again Donald. :bhug:

Carol :rose: :rose:

Angel66668 Sat, Nov-29-03 09:54

I have eaten this so much I can't ever eat it again.

el corazón Sat, Nov-29-03 10:14

Angel I really just laughed out loud! I do the SAME thing! I find something I like and eat it SOOOO often that eventually I get sick of it!! Im trying to learn to space stuff out and not eat the things I really like so often. That way I wont get sick of it! :D

curly Sun, Dec-14-03 17:40

thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us! :D

well, i've got the crust cooking right now. i can't wait to try it! :) i forgot to add the spices. doh! :doah: but the sauce is very well seasoned, so i think it will be ok. live and learn!

i made my own sauce, in case anyone else is interested:

hunt's tomato puree (1 can, 1.25 cups)
2 teaspoon italian seasoning
black pepper and salt to taste
2 cloves garlic
.25 cups chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil

combine tomato puree, italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a small saucepan.
crush garlic. saute in 1tsp olive oil until it begins to brown. be careful not to burn! add to tomato mixture. saute onion in 1tsp olive oil until they begin to brown. add to tomato mixture.
bring tomato mixture to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until ready. (i cooked it for about 25 minutes, but that was really a guess)

total calories: 124
fat: 9 grams
carbs: 10 grams
fiber: 2 grams
net carbs: 8 grams

if any of you are italian out there and can let me know how to make the sauce better (more flavorful) without adding carbs, i'd LOVE to hear it. :)

i'll report back after i eat it. toppings tonight will be pepperoni and a little bit of onion. (darn that they have so many carbs!)

curly Sun, Dec-14-03 18:59

donald! kudos to you! that pizza quiche was delicious! i know this is going to be a staple in my diet! :D

p.s. my diabetic roomate hasn't gotten home yet, but i know she's going to want to thank you too!

maryc Sun, Dec-14-03 19:56

I took the Pizza Quiche to a CHristmas Party Last night. Everyone loved it. One lady wanted the recipe so I gave it to her this morning. They were all surprized that it was low carb.

Have a great day!!

Lammie22 Tue, Dec-30-03 22:02

Yummy!!!!

I made this tonight for the first time and it's heavenly! I thought it to be better than a lot of pizza I've had.

Yummy!

Highly recommend it!

mattad Thu, Jan-08-04 12:16

WHOA! Tastes great. I just skimmed it down to 2 servings and put it in a cake dish. Came out 4 x 8 " 1/2" thick. Ate it all... breakdown for the base is:

Fat: 38g
Prot: 30g
Carb: 8g
Fib: 1g

Total Calories: 490

Ingredients List:
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 egg
1.5 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp parmesan
1/2 cup mozzerella
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp italian seasoning

1 tbsp tomato sauce (no sugar added)

1/4 cup mozzerella on top

PERFECT!

-Matt

pzoric Fri, Jan-09-04 18:51

Not Bad & sauce receipe

Not bad, but coming from a Chicago guy, you know it would be good. The sausage, green pepper, onion, shrom combo worked just fine. Here is my sauce reciepe for this za:

saute finely chopped small onion and course chopped green pepper in 2 T olive oil until soft - do not brown.

Add 1 clove garlic pressed through crusher and .5t italian seasoning (or oregano and basil), cook for 1 minute.

Add 8 oz can t. sauce - look for the lowest carb version, simmer for 5 minutes.

Take off heat and stir in 1T Parmigano Regiano.

Makes about 1 cup - I used the whole amount for the za..

Paul

mcmc Thu, Jan-15-04 19:33

oh my gosh this was awesome, everyone loved it will be a real keeper in my recipe book i used italian sausage, onions, and lots of mushrooms outstanding thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

Tracey71 Sat, Jan-17-04 11:29

I can't believe it!!!! Pizza is one of my favs and this is so perfect. My toppings ----pesto, grilled chicken, red onions and a bit of feta mixed with the mozerellla.

crowe Thu, Jan-29-04 10:53

Hi all. I became very excited when I found this recipe. Haven't cooked it yet but think I know what we're having for dinner on Saturday! (Celebration--pizza night returns to the household!!!)

I noticed all the questions about nutrition info so I checked the whole thing at FitDay. Here's what I come up with:

Note: the only pizza sauce I found there was Contadina Deluxe Ready to Serve Sauce. Per half cup this brand contains: 8.4 carbs and 68 calories. (Its also high in vitamins A-17% and C-24%.)

For the whole base pizza (including sauce) we come up with:

2,214 calories (divide by eight slices to get 277)
178 g. fat ( " 22.25)
27 g. carbs
-3 g. fiber
24 g. carbs ( " 3 g. net)
117 g. protein ( " 14.6 g.)

I also checked to see that 1/2 C pepperoni slices for the crust treatment would add: 254 cal. 1.5 carbs 10.7 g of protein to the whole pizza.

For additional toppings, you are on your own. Hope this helps and thanks for the recipe!

crowe

Wenzday Fri, Jan-30-04 10:37

I think I know why I didnt like this so much now.... I made this whole thing in a little pie plate...the egg part was SOOO thick and I ate half of it to be full... less toppings, less surface. I am going to try it again with the bigger pan on a day when I can eat (sick today)

doogieb Fri, Jan-30-04 15:21

Just made this today OMG how much does this rock! :D

I made the base pretty standard, but I made the topping by mixing zero carb walden farms bbq sauce with some tomato & oil paste that I have (which says <0.5g/100g), added put loads of mushrooms, roast chicken and bacon on it..... yummy :D :D :D

JohnP Sat, Jan-31-04 09:14

I saw this recipe months ago and I am now kicking myself that it took so long to try it. It is delicious and if there is ever a sticky for best recipes, this should be on the list.
Thanks Donald,
Johnie

FrecklFluf Sun, Feb-01-04 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzday
I think I know why I didnt like this so much now.... I made this whole thing in a little pie plate...the egg part was SOOO thick ...
Ooh, yeah, I don't think that would be good. Too eggy. Try it again in a 9x13 pan.

Donald, after being underwhelmed by some of the low-carb recipes I've found (including the pork rind French toast, which I really wanted to like)—well, this just blew me away! I asked my non-LC husband if he could eat this instead of pizza, which he HAS to have at least once a week, and he said probably. So you just might be the guy that gets my husband to do Atkins, and for that I couldn't possibly thank you enough.

Oh, I made it with pepperoni, bacon bits, and sausage (breakfast sausage; I didn't have Italian). So good!

KC Ramone Wed, Feb-04-04 21:26

I've got to try this tomorrow!

KC Ramone Thu, Feb-05-04 21:36

This was indeed wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

JMALEYZ Fri, Feb-06-04 14:37

Is This Pizz Okay During Induction?

madpiano Sun, Feb-08-04 13:16

I just tried the recipe. I did the original from the first page of this thread.

I didn't find it spicy enough and a bit salty, otherwise lovely.
Next time I will replace the Parmesan (one of teh cheeses I don't like) with something milder and I think I need to add some pepper/chilli.

Definitley a keeper. Yummm

Julie10 Sun, Feb-08-04 16:50

I tried this for the first time last night and it was great....Thank you so much for sharing this recipe....It is a keeper!!!!....My toppings were red peppers, mushrooms and shallots......Julie