Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

Jenni03 Fri, Feb-25-05 11:37

Tried this for the first time last week...loved it...so simple!!!!

Ptrcmcc6 Sat, Feb-26-05 14:06

I have the "crust" in the oven right now. I didn't try it with the pepperoni crust because I indend on putting pepperoni on top. I thought the pepperoni crust and the pepperoni topping might be just a little too much. Will try that another time when I make a sausage topping. Will let you know how it turns out.

Patty

Ptrcmcc6 Sat, Feb-26-05 14:36

I'm back!! I thought I would be able to hold off for awhile before tasting this but the smell was just too good. And the taste??..........OMG..........it is delicious!! I'm waiting for DH to wake up from his nap on the couch and ask me what it is. I am not going to tell him it is made with eggs because he won't even bother to try it. I'm just going to tell him the crust is made with cheese.......lol. Sneaky me!!! This way I can maybe get him to have a taste of low carb cooking. He is a stubborn man and won't touch it if he thinks it one of my low carb recipe experiments. Especially if I tell him it's quiche.....lol. Anyway, i didn't have the chives so I had to omit them and it still tastes delish. I sprinkled a little onion powder in there instead. Chives are in the onion family........aren't they??

Patty

seesah Fri, Mar-18-05 14:58

I have read thru this whole thread & I am soooo wanting to try this tonite already!!!! Will post later to see how everthing went! I am drooling already! :D

How do you think ground up pork rinds on the bottom instead of the pepperoni would maybe give it a good texture almost like some pizza crusts have that cornmeal underneath. I will try the original recipe 1st, then experiment w/the rinds. Let me know if anyone trys this first! :yum:

Norma June Sat, Mar-19-05 11:49

I'm wondering if you could use a low carb tortilla wrap as a crust? Sounds interesting hmmmm?

Or .......... how about the tortilla wrap and just the sauce & toppings like a regular pizza?

If anyone tries this let me know ok?

nimrod100 Fri, Apr-01-05 17:26

This looks really good. I did the numbers in FitDay and here they are:

1/4 of Recipe:
575 Calories
6 Net Carbs

vixen69 Fri, Apr-01-05 21:27

I love this stuff! I've made several variations including pepperoni on the bottom of the crust. Yum!

missymagoo Sat, Apr-02-05 20:45

going to have to try this for work. i eat with a freind and he does not know what i can eat. this will help. sue

Juli_G Sat, Apr-02-05 22:59

Sounds FAB!!! Thanks for posting this! :wave:

LowCrbF Sun, Apr-10-05 15:13

I just cannot say enough about this recipe! :)

I made it AGAIN, and the smells were enough to make me pass out from anticipation :) :) :)

:yum: :yum: :yum: Thank you so much for sharing this with us :D

seesah Thu, May-05-05 14:28

Still have not gotten around to making this, but I still can't wait to try this! I keep missing an ingredient whenever I think of making this.

MetalMom Sat, May-07-05 14:40

Im so happy about this recipe. It brought a tear to my eye

Unholy Tue, May-17-05 17:58

Awesome.... it is amazing how it almost forms a light bread type of crust.... Loved it.

syee745li Thu, May-19-05 20:24

incredible... taste is perfect.. tastes just like pizza.. gonna be a weekly special now... :agree: :thup: :thup:

steveed Thu, May-26-05 20:27

I have this almost every week, but for topping I use bacon crumbs and squuezed dry saurkraut. German sweet and sour pizza!

4beans4me Fri, May-27-05 07:30

Quote:
I use bacon crumbs and squuezed dry saurkraut

Oh YUM. !!!!!!!!!!

I never even thought to put saurkraut on there! You could use some corned beef and swiss cheese for a rueben pizza too! :yum:

steveed Fri, May-27-05 15:12

This recipe is extremely flexible!

I'm planning on making a Tex Mex version, instead of tomato sauce I will use a red chile sauce, sharp cheddar and taco meat w/jalepenos. Top it with guac, sour cream and cilantro...yummy!

That Rueben idea sounds good too...you could put caraway seeds in the crust!

OzarkMama Sat, May-28-05 00:24

Well Donald I see years later people are still beaming with joy over this!

I wanted to mention little things I have sometimes done for this.

1. I get sandwich-size pepperoni that they slice from the big stick in the deli... definitely not the little stuff in preserved package. And, I have them slice it on, I think setting 10, which is like half as thick as normal. This allows me to still have a good overlapping crust, with less of the chem/cal/fat of pepperoni, but more importantly it means if I line a pan and cook the pepperoni first (it shrinks a bit), it cooks faster and crispier because it's thinner.

2. I sometimes have made this in muffin tins (I do the lined-baked-pepperoni first) too. Muffin pans come in oversized and rectangle and things like that so you can actually plan your portion size that way if you like -- or even make the same crust but add some different spices to it in each tin, and diff toppings, for a variety in the same dish! (Great for 'sampling' for friends. This recipe, like the mock fried rice, should not be allowed near non low carbers, who will pause their little upturned-noses about 'low carb food' just long enough to eat ALL yours if you let them. :D)

There are also a few 'lessons learned' I had with this dish, which are:

* Nearly any imaginable sauce/topping in the universe works. I am just waiting for someone to come up with the chocolate orange cinnamon version LOL. I never would have thought of this, but for seeing how the 'mock danish' got made into everything from savory to sweet.

* You can mix a little bit of chopped meats even into the 'crust' part for a bit of extra bulk, protein and flavor. (For example, you can get that big sandwich pepperoni sliced 1/4" thick, and then slice it into little square pieces like they have on cheap frozen pizzas.) (PS At the walmart deli some new person is always not realizing they have to take the nearly-invisible wrapper off the pepperoni before slicing... well, just watch and make sure they do.)

* This dish is really hard to screw up! I have at various times forgotten half the ingredients, left out the sauce, underbaked it, overbaked it, and generally although there's an 'ideal' norm, even the disasters taste pretty darn good.

* Small variations in quantity of heavy cream, or mixing some jack cheese in instead of others, or things like that can equal a decent difference in carbs overall. Adding more meat into the crust and the topping can up the protein sufficiently without adding much if any carbs, that when you're really starving or really trying to keep carbs low, less of it pan-wise is more filling and lower in carbs.

* It freezes and reheats beautifully. But... don't freeze it for very long. I recommend doing the 'diff flavors in one batch' option so it's sure to get eaten soon without any sameness/boredom. Although that is hard to come by for this dish frankly!

I might add that most of my experimentation with this dish has been done during a long term when I was NOT lowcarbing. It's great! So far the mock fried rice, mock danish and this Deep Dish Pizza Quiche are the three fave recipes I've found. ALL of them are yummy enough to eat regardless of whether one is low carbing, and will generally be scarfed down by anybody still breathing, no matter what they think about LC food. :-)

OM

drboot Wed, Jun-01-05 06:21

Finally

THANK U - FINALLY - SOMETHING WITH SOME FLAVOR and doesn't make you feel sick - :thup:

ddaniels Wed, Jun-01-05 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkMama
* Nearly any imaginable sauce/topping in the universe works. I am just waiting for someone to come up with the chocolate orange cinnamon version LOL. I never would have thought of this, but for seeing how the 'mock danish' got made into everything from savory to sweet.

OM

I think this thread might give you a start!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165141

L10JOHNfan Tue, Jun-07-05 21:05

This was amazing! I made it tonight and certainly glad that I did! The "crust" is a little different texture wise of course, but I certainly felt for one of the first times since I have started low carbing that I was eating something with taste! I made my sauce with a little garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes with some plain tomato sauce and it was one of the best sauces I have ever had on a pizza! If you haven't made this, do give it a try....it is most certainly a keeper! :)

ssofian Mon, Jun-13-05 13:17

Made this last night so that I could have lunches all ready for this whole week. SOOOO incredibly good. I used mushrooms,green peppers,onions, and pepperoni. I lined the pan with the pepperoni and sauteed the veggies a bit before throwing them on the "pizza".

I cooked it for the recommended 35 minutes, then after putting the veggies and sauce and mozarella on top I cooked for 7 more minutes, then stuck under the broiler for 2 minutes to get it all nice and browned.

OMG. SOOOO incredibly good. Tastes just like deep dish pizza. I have enough for all my lunches this week. Everyone at work was envious and some people asked for the recipe.

I think I will do a different version this weekend for next week's lunches. I think that a BBQ chicken version would be yummy- bbq chicken, green pepper, red onion, and LC BBQ sauce instead of the tomato sauce!

Thank you thank you thank you for this decadent dish!

My_3_Sons Tue, Jun-14-05 11:42

I also must add, first Ive hunted and hunted for this thread, finally found it with the help of Cindysue (thanks again), but this recipe is absolutely TO DIE FOR!! My kids and my hubby devoured it!!

Thanks DWRolfe!!!!!!!
:)

ddaniels Tue, Jun-14-05 13:24

It's the best, isn't it? I've actually got one on the oven right now. It's hard to feel deprived when you are eating stuff like this!

My_3_Sons Wed, Jun-15-05 09:43

Yes, ddaniels

I have found that most the recipes Ive made from here and Lindas site are great! I LOVE the buffalo shrimp, mexican chicken , cheeseburger bacon quiche and pizza quiche thus far.

Any recommendations of some new recipes I should try? Im in induction

rizzy Sat, Jun-18-05 16:05

wow

Wow I had this last night and it is great. I have a couple pictures of it in my journal if you want to see it.

ddaniels Sat, Jun-18-05 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_3_Sons
Yes, ddaniels

I have found that most the recipes Ive made from here and Lindas site are great! I LOVE the buffalo shrimp, mexican chicken , cheeseburger bacon quiche and pizza quiche thus far.

Any recommendations of some new recipes I should try? Im in induction

You might want to go over to the Food Network web site and check out the Low Carb and Lovin' It recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ll

You can browse through the different recipes to see if any look good. I like his Uncle Al's sausage casserole recipe. I think it's OK for induction, but I don't quite remember. I like reading all the different comments people make about each of the recipes to see how they like them and how they have adapted them.

ssofian Tue, Jun-21-05 15:30

Made a BBQ Chicken DDPQ for this weeks lunches with chicken, red onion, and green pepper. QUITE yummy! I already decided the one I make for next week will be a Bacon Cheeseburger DDPQ. Will line the bottom with bacon, then use hamburger meat,onion,mushrooms, maybe pepper and cheese for toppings.

superaunt Tue, Jun-28-05 09:41

:yum:

Have made 2 versions so far -- even in this sweltering heat. The first one was lined with pepporoni, but I found that when re-heated was toooooo salty. The second one was a BBQ Chicken (like ssofian), which was just scrumptious! :)

This is by far, one of THE best recipes I've come across on this WOL.

Kudos! :)

dbaum Fri, Jul-01-05 07:05

I agree. This recipe has become a staple in my house!!