Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What Is the Keto Diet and Does It Work? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483397)

Demi Sun, Jan-05-20 03:57

What Is the Keto Diet and Does It Work?

What Is the Keto Diet and Does It Work?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/02/...d-benefits.html

Quote:
Yes. But we don’t know how effective, or for how long.

A recent survey of registered dietitians named the low-carbohydrate keto diet yet again as the most popular diet in the United States. Powering this diet is fat, and loads of it — all the way up to a hefty 90 percent of one’s daily calories.

Its fans (and marketers) feed social media with before and after photos, crediting the diet for life-altering weight loss or other effects. They swirl butter into their coffee, load up on cheese and eat lonely burgers without their bestie: the bun. Staples like whole grains, legumes, fruit and starchy vegetables are being largely pushed off the plate as devotees strive for ketosis — when the body begins to burn fat instead of glucose as its primary energy source.

“America is in a state of carbophobia,” said Whitney Linsenmeyer, a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

The diet is hailed for dropping pounds, burning more calories, reducing hunger, managing diabetes, treating drug resistant epilepsy, improving blood pressure and lowering cholesterol, as well as triglycerides, the major storage form of fat in the body. People have reported improved concentration, too. “We see pretty dramatic benefits,” said Dr. William Yancy, director of the Duke Diet and Fitness Center.

Click on the link above to read the full article

WereBear Sun, Jan-05-20 10:30

Quote:
“America is in a state of carbophobia,” said Whitney Linsenmeyer, a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

And... loving it.

GRB5111 Sun, Jan-05-20 11:59

Wow, new year and the dietary wars continue. While I like this message, how does the average person unwilling to take risks who just wants to embrace good health sort through this conflicting information battle???

Meme#1 Sun, Jan-05-20 13:05

My theory is, if a cow eats it, we shouldn't.
If they have to squeeze a nut to get milk, we shouldn't drink it.
If beans have to be processed and shaped to look like meat, it's not real food.

Dodger Sun, Jan-05-20 20:43

For some weird reason, nutritionists seem to feel that animal products are not real food, but tofu is.

WereBear Mon, Jan-06-20 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
For some weird reason, nutritionists seem to feel that animal products are not real food, but tofu is.

When your school grade depends on repeating back what they want to hear, you repeat it.

When your paycheck depends on telling that to clients, you don't notice the contradictions.

When your career depends on not understanding something, you ignore it.

Ms Arielle Mon, Jan-06-20 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Wow, new year and the dietary wars continue. While I like this message, how does the average person unwilling to take risks who just wants to embrace good health sort through this conflicting information battle???

I realuize your q is retorical. This interview was disturbing. I knew the jist of this but to hear ti extend and continuation of misdirection is apalling.

https://youtu.be/I4Ur8GSNP1M

GRB5111 Mon, Jan-06-20 14:32

Ms A - not sure which interview you reference that is disturbing. Is it the Teicholz interview you linked or the OP's article?

My point is that there is so much negative information about low carb, keto being distributed by the "traditional" food expert community that it becomes confusing for most people. Who does one believe? When you hear claims about keto being unhealthy due to high saturated fats, consumption of red meat, and on top of that, it's unsustainable, this is confusing simply because it's not true. For those of us who have eaten this way for several or more years, it just doesn't jibe with our experiences. Once you become fat adapted, cravings disappear along with the lack of triggers that cause people to act on those cravings by consuming more carbs. I'll take any message at this point that acknowledges the power of diet as a direct avenue to good health, and the research that shows the superiority of low carb, keto, etc to SAD and even vegetarian or vegan approaches is a positive thing in my mind. Anything that can cause people to question eating and health recommendations is a good thing. Question authority until there are no longer questions.

WereBear Mon, Jan-06-20 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Question authority until there are no longer questions.

I like that!

In addition, the only people going public with putting their diabetes into remission are those on keto or some other form of low carb.

Ms Arielle Mon, Jan-06-20 15:58

Nina Teicholze touches on all the purposeful misleading of facts and food policy.
link above for full details