Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Maple Walnut Icing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215377)

Luzyanna Tue, Sep-21-10 07:38

*Bump*
Getting close to that time of the year - wanted everyone to remember this recipe instead of a sugary pumpkin pie.....

chermac Wed, Sep-22-10 10:14

Happy to see this recipe bumped up. It's excellent!

ljsmom Sat, Sep-25-10 14:47

bump, already have this down on my thanksgiving menu...may need to do a practice run next week

Hilary M Mon, Oct-04-10 09:58

I make this recipe every fall and it's just fantastic!

PilotGal Sun, Oct-10-10 11:14

first try at these little boogers!
i'm going to a picnic next weekend and wanted to start working on these so that they aren't a flop.

i haven't iced them, i'm not sure whether to ice them before freezing or before i take them to the picnic..
any suggestions?

here are a few pics:

they are the consistency of brownies. firm, yet soft in the inside.

jeanyyy Sun, Oct-10-10 12:14

How long did you bake them for, PilotGal? They look amazing!!

When in doubt, I'd frost them just before the picnic, to be on the safe side.. but, for future reference, you could always put a frosted one in the freezer on that day and check it out the next day?

PilotGal Sun, Oct-10-10 12:17

40 minutes on the rectangular one and 20 on the drop bites. 350 degrees.

ljsmom Sun, Oct-10-10 12:26

I am having a hard time finding the walnut extract, but found the maple...is the maple just as good??...what does everyone else use who makes these,,anyone have a preference?...to save on carbs, i wont put the walnuts in the bars if that makes on differnence on icing preference

ljsmom Sun, Oct-24-10 17:52

here is what mine ended up looking like...i used 1/2 splenda and 1/4 sf vanilla syrup and 1/4 sf almond syrup.....I also added in some pumpkin pie spice as we love spice....

I did not add in the nuts to help with the carb count and used maple extract for the icing with 1 splenda and the rest sf vanilla syrup to desired sweetness....it is so moist...we love it

catinhat Sat, Jul-09-11 15:43

This sounds fantastic! I'm thinking of halving the recipe, because I'm afraid I'd go through them too quickly. I think I have all the ingredients at home - yum!

dmarie328 Sat, Jul-09-11 20:46

Saw this recipe and had to make it, even though it's 90 degrees here and I don't have air conditioning but it was worth it I can't believe these are low carb,kind of fell guilty eating them. The only things I changed was I used erythritol instead of splenda and I used half coconut flour. Worth sweating my butt off for.

witchiejen Sat, Jul-09-11 21:10

dmarie, I'm so glad to see you used coconut flour. I was just thinking I wanted to try that to dry them up a bit as mine were always wet! I've also got powdered egg white that I'm thinking of. How did it work with coconut flour?

dmarie328 Sat, Jul-09-11 21:19

It was my first time using it and they were good but I did use 2 extra eggs and sorry to say they still were a little wet, I think time I'll use less oil.

freckles Wed, Oct-19-11 19:42

I made these last week and they are DELISH!!!!

I can't do dairy, so I used equal amounts of butter and coconut milk with sf syrup to taste and it worked beautifully, though the bars are quite yummy without any frosting at all!

Thanksgiving is on its way.....;)

graciejean Thu, Oct-20-11 08:35

A Big BUMP