Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Almond 'Porridge' (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=218016)

Demi Thu, Nov-04-04 14:29

Almond 'Porridge'

Serves 1
approx ecc 6.5 carbs per serving*

5 fl oz (1/4 pint) /150 ml /0.6 of a cup double cream (heavy cream)
2 oz /50g /half a cup ground almonds
2 eggs
2 fl oz /50 ml /quarter of a cup of cold water
DaVinci SF Syrup or Splenda to taste

Heat the cream and almonds together in a saucepan, until almost boiling, and then remove from the heat.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the water, and then pour in the hot cream and almonds, beating all the time. When thoroughly mixed, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and keep stirring over a low heat until it thickens.

When it’s at the desired consistency, add Splenda or DaVinci sugar free syrup (Caramel is especially good) to taste and serve.

This is also exceptionally good if made the night before and then eaten cold, after being left in the fridge overnight. It could probably also be re-heated in a microwave, but I’ve yet to try that, as I really like it when it’s cold.

* I worked the carb count out from the amounts given on the pack of ground almonds and the carton of cream I used - which means that your carb counts might be slightly different.

jaykay Thu, Nov-04-04 14:37

That sounds like just the answer to my breakfast problems now its cold - especially as I can make it the night before and maybe reheat it in the morning. I'm off to the kitchen now! Thanks for sharing that Demi

dasanipure Thu, Nov-04-04 16:01

thanks demi - this sounds absolutely delicious...the only problem is that i've been gaining like crazy lately (return of really bad PCOS/hyperinsulemia) and i'm looking to reduce the cals of this recipie (~992!!) and the carbs from fitday say ECC 11! I'm not sure how you got 6.5. Do you think this would work with, let's say, half the cream? Thanks in advance.

easylyvin Fri, Nov-05-04 17:26

I tried this today and it was good! It reminded me of cream of wheat, but better. I tried 4 fl oz of cream and 1 fl oz of water, and it worked great. I think next time I will cut the cream in half and use water for the other half to get the carb count down. I think I will omit the water from the eggs and see what happens. I used Splenda and a splash of vanilla extract and it was yummy. I liked it hot, it's cold up here in Canada right now. BRRRR! Great comfort food.

Demi Sat, Nov-06-04 06:36

Quote:
Originally posted by dasanipure ...
and the carbs from fitday say ECC 11! I'm not sure how you got 6.5.

As I said when I originally posted the recipe, others might find the carb count slightly different. Plus, Fitday does have a tendency to 'round up' and also counts eggs, for example, as a carb each, whereas I count them as zero carbs. I also didn't factor in the Splenda, as it was optional in the original recipe.

As for the amount of cream, water etc., part of the fun of cooking for me is to experiment, I just found that the above amounts worked well for me :) But I can't see any reason why less cream, more water for example wouldn't work.

Would be interested to hear how it turned out for you, or anyone else for that matter, with differing amounts.

Tonymoo Sat, Nov-06-04 08:41

Hi Demi

This sounds great. What consistency is this cold - i.e. does it firm up overnight or is it still runny?

Demi Sat, Nov-06-04 08:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonymoo ...
What consistency is this cold - i.e. does it firm up overnight or is it still runny?

It becomes quite firm.

However, not sure what it would be like if re-heated, as I haven't tried it like that yet.

easylyvin Sat, Nov-06-04 18:27

I tried it with half the cream and replaced it with water and it was still just as good! Thank you so much for this recipe! I have been dying for something other than eggs or soy pancakes!

eskimissy Sat, Nov-06-04 18:35

how do you make soy pancakes? That sounds sooo good!

dasanipure Sun, Nov-07-04 17:20

thanks demi, for the update! I tried it with half the cream too, and oh my goodness, this could be DANGEROUS!! It's so incredibly yummy - I agree with easylivin - beats boring old cream of wheat ANYDAY! thank you so much for all your amazing ideas. keeps me constantly gaining, you know, reading all these recipies and then 'having' to try them!! ;)

easylyvin Sun, Nov-07-04 17:40

Hi Eskimissy. The pancakes are nothing fancy, just the Adkins pancake mix. The directions say to mix with water, but I do use 1/2 cream, 1/2 water and I put a little bit of vanilla in it. Makes the pancakes taste a little richer than if you go by the package directions. Still lovin' this almond porridge! MMMM! :yum:

sheraldyne Mon, Nov-08-04 08:55

This is great. I just used a little Stevia for sweetness and walnuts instead of almonds since that's what I had. Makes a BIG bowl. Thanks so much.

cmcole Fri, Nov-12-04 14:56

Here's two more "porridge" recipes

Cream of Flax Cereal

Recipe By : Constance Cole
Serving Size : 22 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup unsweetened coconut meat
1 1/2 cups oat bran
3/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups whey powder
1 1/2 cups flax seed -- ground

Mix all ingredients together.

Store in airtight container.

Mix 1/4 cup with boiling hot water to make breakfast cereal.

Add cinnamon or other flavouring if you wish.

Description:
"Hot Breakfast Cereal"
Yield:
"5 1/2 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 119 Calories; 7g Fat (45.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 43mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

-------------------------
Hot Breakfast Cereal

2 - 3 Tablespoons flax (grind in coffee mill)
1 serving protein powder
A few shakes of cinnamon
boiling water

Combine

Microwave for 1 minute (my microwave)

Enjoy.

Optional: cream, berries, other additions of choice

sunpines Fri, Nov-12-04 22:18

Hi, Demi :wave:

This was SOOOO good. Thanks for sharing it. I used half water/half whipping cream and it was incredible. And I used daVinci SF pancake syrup. :yum:

Thump Tue, Dec-30-08 08:25

I had a simpler version of this earlier.
I made it in a small bowl and used about 4 T ground almond, 1/4 c double cream (didn't measure though, just added enough for it not to be too liquid or too solid), 1 tsp lucuma powder, 1 tsp vanilla and some cinammon. I just nuked it for a min (stirring 'cause the cream boils over otherwise and sweetened with Splenda. It was so yummy!
It looked like a very small serving but it was incredibly filling and satisfying. 3 hours later (of walking and grocery shopping), I'm still not hungry! This is new.