Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Chilidog Casserole (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=283401)

Luzyanna Sat, Jan-28-06 01:22

Chilidog Casserole

I got this off another lowcarb forum but it is sooooooooo good that I just had to share it with all of my friends here. Another plus...it is fast & easy!

CHILI DOG CASSEROLE
1 to 2 lbs ground beef
package of chili seasoning
1 sm can Tomato sauce
1 pkg hotdogs (the ones I use have only 1 carb each)
shredded cheese
diced onions
sourcream

Brown ground beef, drain fat. Add tomato sauce and chili seasoning & mix well. Spread in bottom of baking dish. Cut hotdogs into rounds and layer over ground beef mixture. Top with cheese and cook in 350 oven 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with onions, sour cream, more cheese or even dill relish...whatever you like.

Number of Servings: 4-6 (depends on how much ground beef you use)
Preparation Time: 20 min.

*Sorry, don't have the carb count for this recipe but it's not high.

GinaLeanne Sat, Jan-28-06 01:49

]

wow, what a great idea, thanks , now your making me hungry.

bob2112 Sat, Jan-28-06 05:53

That does sound good and simple.

leslieam Sat, Jan-28-06 11:30

Leslie, do you think that LC ketchup would be a good substitue for the tomato sauce? I'd like to make this today, but the tomato sauce is the only thing I'm missing and I'd like to avoid the grocery store (evil, evil place :lol: )

Thanks for posting this - it looks yummy and also like something my kids will eat (which is a BIG plus). :p

leslieam Sat, Jan-28-06 15:38

I found a small can of tomato sauce in my pantry (it's my lucky day). So I'm making this tonight.

kevinpa Sat, Jan-28-06 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieam
Leslie, do you think that LC ketchup would be a good substitue for the tomato sauce? I'd like to make this today, but the tomato sauce is the only thing I'm missing and I'd like to avoid the grocery store (evil, evil place :lol: )

Thanks for posting this - it looks yummy and also like something my kids will eat (which is a BIG plus). :p

leslie, I just made this with the Heinz 1carb ketchup.

I browned beef and 4 scallions mixed in 8oz ketchup and pace chilli mix and then layered bottom of casserole.
then a layer of colby/jack mixed with 1 c. sour cream
then hot dogs

toped with chedder cheese......Yum Yum Yum!!!!

thanks Luzyanna....this was great

leslieam Sat, Jan-28-06 16:12

Thanks, Kevin! And that's a nice variation on the original recipe. I have it baking right now and I made it exactly as Leslie posted it, but next time I may put your twist on it.

Smells delish, BTW..... :yum:

Luzyanna Sat, Jan-28-06 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieam
I found a small can of tomato sauce in my pantry (it's my lucky day). So I'm making this tonight.

Me too. YUM YUM YUM
The lowcarb ketchup I have is too sweet for this. I'll take an extra carb or two for the sauce. :p

leslieam Sat, Jan-28-06 16:34

Okay, I just got done eating this and it is delish! Absolutely tasted like a chili dog. I dipped mine in a little mustard for that hot-dog effect and it was perfect!

Luzyanna Sat, Jan-28-06 17:11

I just got through with mine too. The only thing bad about this is I can't eat MORE of it. LOL

Glad ya liked it. :D

Gretchen_ Fri, Feb-03-06 21:07

Luzyanna-

thanks for posting this...it was so good! Now, why didn't I think of that? :lol:

labell09 Tue, Feb-07-06 15:09

I Used Chilli Meat Instead Of Regular Ground, It Was Very Good,

SusanKH Wed, Feb-08-06 20:30

I didn't even miss the bun...still licking my fingers... :yum:

mjoy Wed, Feb-22-06 16:46

This was just great!!!! My hubby went back for more and more and more until I said "HEY, MISTER thats my lunch tomorrow" Way to go. I LOVED it with sour cream!

mdwilson43 Thu, Mar-09-06 13:13

This was delicious

And so filling. I was full all evening didn't even want a bedtime snack.