Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Mock Oatmeal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187924)

whyspers Sun, May-30-04 08:17

Mock Oatmeal

I did a search and didn't find where this had been posted before, but if it has, it is good enough to post again. I found this recipe on another low carb site and it was YUMMIE!

1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 packet Splenda
1 egg
1 small splash of maple flavoring (or vanilla)
1/4 cup cream

Combine first four ingredients well....microwave for three minutes. Mix in cream and enjoy. I found that less cream would have worked just as well. I also added a pat of butter. It made a lot and I could not finish it all, but it was very good. This recipe would be a great foundation for making other things...I can imagine adding in berries, or even some cocoa (using the vanilla and not the maple flavoring.

At any rate, long story short...this makes a very filling change from eggs every morning :) I didn't run the carb count, but because of the ricotta, it would not be good for induction. Enjoy!

L

Karen D. Sun, May-30-04 11:43

I make an uncooked version of this without the egg. Just mix ricotta cheese, sweetener, and cream. Add a tablespoon each of unprocessed bran and flax meal and a few sliced raspberries or strawberries, if you can get away with eating berries. I've become addicted to and it's easy on my blood sugar (I'm diabetic).

Karen D.

huggs2ewe Wed, Jun-02-04 16:45

I do the same but add whey protien to increase the protien and keeps me filled up longer. I just mix in the whey (1 tbsp) to 1/4 cup of ricotta, add a bit of twin brown sugar and 1/4 cup of fruit and cream. It's good.

kath310 Sun, Jun-06-04 22:22

This really hits the spot....and this comes from a die-hard oatmeal fan! :) I added some cinnamon to the mixture too.

The smell of this cooking is heavenly! :yum:

carling Tue, Jun-29-04 23:45

I really enjoyed this, and I want to add that I never make any recipes off here because they dont usually interest me. And I am the laziest cook in the world. This was perfect, It was filling, and I intend to make this a regular breakfast.

Javamama Sat, Aug-07-04 17:39

Funny that I am reading this! And hear I thought I came up with something great! I mix a 1/2 C. ricotta cheese, 1 egg, 1 tea. of vanilla "OR" almond, and 1 pkt of splenda. Wisk it up and it tastes like a dessert!!! YES...I eat it raw, not cooked!

LadyBelle Sat, Aug-07-04 20:49

I tried this, though I think I added too much cream after (I would always add too much milk to oatmeal as well). It was ok, the texture was odd.

Karen Sat, Aug-07-04 21:35

I used to eat this cold without the egg and call it "faux rice pudding".

Karen

tortoise Mon, Aug-30-04 08:57

I make something like this, adding flax seed meal near the end for a "whole-grain" effect and more fiber.

Also, I make a totally different mock oatmeal that is VERY oatmeal-like in my crockpot (to make it no-brainer):

(Note: contains soy)

2 C TVP
1 quart unsweetened soy milk OR coconut milk - can be half and half with water
1/4 t salt
spices like cinammon and vanilla if desired

It makes a big batch and it keeps well in the fridge up to a week or freezes well.

LadyBelle Mon, Aug-30-04 15:07

Ohhhh I have some TVP I had no idea what to do with. Do you cook it on low and for how long?

My favorite "Mock Oatmeal" is one I renaed mock applesauce. No clue why the origional recipe said oatmeal. It's jicama though with some cinnimon, sweetner, and a small touch of apple cider vinigar. It comes out tasting just like applesauce with a bit of a crunch like a macantosh has.

tortoise Mon, Aug-30-04 18:35

The whole point is just for it to get soft and the water to absorb. It's probably a couple of hours on high, or 3-4 on low, but if it goes longer, no biggie. You can do it on the stove, but I'm too lazy to watch it. You obviously could do it in smaller quantities, but I like making a bigger batch all at once.

I tried it in the oven once in a casserole dish, but it overflowed - quite the mess! Guess I don't have a big enough dish.

juelz4u Sun, Dec-30-07 12:38

I have just finished eating a bowl of something simular. I thought I "invented" this recipe!! ha!! I was searching for somthing cereal like on the recipe boards and made it to this recipe after "inventing" mine!! I used an egg white instead of the whole egg. It was great!! I also used pumpkin pie spice. Yummo!

kevsmama Sun, Dec-30-07 12:54

What is TVP?

Rachel1 Sun, Dec-30-07 14:08

Texturized Vegetable Protein.

My "mock oatmeal" is a bowl muffin (recipes on this forum under "baked goods" topped with cinnamon, Splenda, and soy milk. Yum!

Rachel

lyzjnqtpy Thu, Jan-29-09 00:14

I am going to have to give this a try in the morning. Although I don't know if my ricotta is good. I wonder if I could use cottage cheese instead?