Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Records Found in Dusty Basement Undermine Decades of Dietary Advice (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483419)

WereBear Wed, Jan-08-20 16:51

Records Found in Dusty Basement Undermine Decades of Dietary Advice

This is from 2017, but I found it fascinating.

Records Found in Dusty Basement Undermine Decades of Dietary Advice

Quote:
If biology has an Indiana Jones, it is Christopher Ramsden: he specializes in excavating lost studies, particularly those with the potential to challenge mainstream, government-sanctioned health advice.

His latest excavation—made possible by the pack-rat habits of a deceased scientist, the help of the scientist’s sons, and computer technicians who turned punch cards and magnetic tape into formats readable by today’s computers—undercuts a pillar of nutrition science.

Forty years ago, this study got overlooked.

Quote:
Analyzing the reams of old records, Ramsden and his team found, in line with the “diet-heart hypothesis,” that substituting vegetable oils lowered total blood cholesterol levels, by an average of 14 percent.

But that lowered cholesterol did not help people live longer. Instead, the lower cholesterol fell, the higher the risk of dying: 22 percent higher for every 30-point fall. Nor did the corn-oil group have less atherosclerosis or fewer heart attacks.

This was hard data, too: it was conducted in an institution where they knew what people ate over the course of the study.

And just today people (online) were quoting Harvard at me, sticking up for Ancel Keys! of all people. Nothing will convince them.

Quote:
The coleader of the project was Dr. Ancel Keys, author of the Seven Countries Study, Time cover subject, and the most prominent advocate of replacing saturated fat with vegetable fat. “The idea that there might be something adverse about lowering cholesterol [via vegetable oils] was really antithetical to the dogma of the day,” Bob Frantz said.

I hope they live long enough to realize their "faith in authority" was misplaced.

Dodger Wed, Jan-08-20 17:21

I used to be a big believer in low-fat with fixing foods with vegetable oils because all the experts and medical societies said it was the healthiest way to eat.
Reading the actual reports and understanding a little biochemistry got me switched to not eating carbs and not using vegetable oils.

Meme#1 Wed, Jan-08-20 17:29

Were you on Reddit? I discovered there are lots of B-12 deprived people on there. :lol:

WereBear Wed, Jan-08-20 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Were you on Reddit? I discovered there are lots of B-12 deprived people on there. :lol:

Twitter. But any social media can get infested with them. They prowl, looking for opportunities.

Zei Wed, Jan-08-20 18:51

This rediscovered old study looks like it may be the one where someone asked one of the still living elderly scientists, why didn't you publish it and he replied, we were so disappointed with the results. Because they flew in the face of all the received wisdom of the time. And perhaps could have saved a lot of lives over the years, if anyone of the time had been willing (?!) to listen to it. Of course he might have lost his job, research grants, reputation etc. like John Yudkin who kept insisting it was the sugar, not the fat that was bad.

Ms Arielle Wed, Jan-08-20 20:28

Makes putting 100% of decision making based on studies a joke......but hey, accirding to Nina Teicholz, they didnt use any science to decide food policy.

mike_d Wed, Jan-08-20 22:57

You need to read the "China Study" /s

doreen T Wed, Jan-08-20 23:10

Originally posted here at Active Low-Carber in 2016 ... https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473019

:cool:

WereBear Thu, Jan-09-20 04:04

Thanks, Doreen!

Good discussion about Ancel Keys: or as I think of him, good careerist, ultimately bad scientist.

He did live to 100; in a wheelchair and resembling a beach ball. Not a great advertisement for his own theories, you ask me.