Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Best option for Sugar Free Electrolyte Drink? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=389490)

starchile Wed, Jan-21-09 03:32

Best option for Sugar Free Electrolyte Drink?

Hello:

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but I thought you all would have the most knowledge!

I will begin training 6 days/week for a triathalon at the beginning of Feb and I have NEVER challenged myself in this way before.

It was recommended that while training, we drink sports drinks for the electrolytes but I am a sugar addict and all the drinks that I see on the shelf have sugar.

Is this a NECESSARY ingrediant or are there options w/out the sugar??

Best recs??

Thanks People!!

AlienBug Wed, Jan-21-09 08:08

Stick with plain water. Everything else is pure marketing.

starchile Wed, Jan-21-09 19:59

Thank you for your response, but our coaches want us to drink a drink with electrolytes. Normally I DO stick with water tho. :)

Anyone else??

Bru88 Wed, Jan-21-09 20:18

Quote:
Default Sugar-free Gatorade (well...sort of)
According to Dr. Bernstein, you can mix up any sugar free beverage (Kool-Aid, Crystal light, etc...) and add for each quart of liquid:

1/2 to 1 teaspoon table salt (provides sodium and chloride)
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute (provides potassium and chloride).

If you are one of those people who are sensitive to Aspartame, just make a batch of your favorite flavor Kool-Aid and use Splenda to sweeten it. I do this all the time and my kids don't notice any difference from Kool-Aid made with regular sugar.

Also...make sure that the salt substitute you use is the potassium chloride kind.

This was posted by Lisa N. on another thread hope it helps...Bru :wave:

tjf9 Wed, Jan-21-09 21:22

I like a product called Nuun. It is an electrolyte tablet you dissolve in water. It has no sugar and tastes good!

Depending on the intensity of your training, you may find that you need carbs during exercise. Anytime I have a long session - 1.5 hours or more of moderate to high intensity - I find I need about 50 - 100 calories per hour of pure carbs (like a gel) to get through comfortably. This is far less than many athletes who don't do low carb ingest, but I find it works for me.

Good luck with your triathlon! I did 4 triathlons last year. They're addictive!

cdaniel525 Wed, Jan-21-09 23:05

How about Powerade Zero?? http://us.powerade.com/#/drink/zero
it has zero carbs and uses splenda as a sweetener... supposedly still has electrolytes in it

camaromom Thu, Jan-22-09 07:46

I was going to post about the powerade zero as well. Pretty good stuff. I take it on long bike rides.

Gostrydr Fri, Jan-23-09 05:21

Gostrydr to the rescue..

Alacers..the company who makes Emergenc C has the best electrolyte replacement supplement on the market called Electro Mix..it is everything Gatorade wants\should be.

It has zero carbs, zero calories and does not use artificial sweetners..it has a very pleasant lime taste and it is cheap.

It comes in packets..you just pour a packet in I believe a liter of water. It has all the mineral ascorbates that need to be replaced during strenuous excercise.

I used to sell it to top professional athletes and they loved it.

Nothing compares..nothing.
It can be found at most health food stores.

Good luck

Gostrydr Fri, Jan-23-09 05:29

Here is a link from Vitacost..they are really cheap!!

http://www.vitacost.com/AlacerElect...mix%7C541467611

starchile Fri, Jan-23-09 19:35

Hey Thanks everyone!! I went out and bought the powerade but I think I also want to try Gostrydr's suggestion of ElectroMix...cuz I am a big fan of Emergen C.

You all are awesome!!!!

KFangirl Fri, Jan-23-09 21:16

I like G2 as well, but Powerade Zero is my favorite.

Gostrydr Sat, Jan-24-09 00:13

Boy that Powerade Zero is just junk..artificial coloring, artificial sweetners..two of them to be exact..sucralose and ace k..just junk and not very healthy for you. Sure it's zero carb but its crap.

The Electro Mix is far, far superior.

Seasons Tue, May-25-10 22:22

i guess this is an old thread but just a few questions if posters are still here.

Gostrydr, the link you attatched has a supplement called NSI Electrolyte Formula, is this the same supplement as the Electro Mix you talked about?
i assume they just changed the name.

tjf9, i agree that simple carbs are benificial after/during extended workout(especially at high-intensity). i was just curious if youve ever tried supplementing with BCAA's in a mix w/carbs. i personally prefer less carbs(<50) plus BCAA's.

Warren D Thu, Jul-08-10 07:13

I don't get on with the electrolyte drinks that contain glucose but I'm reluctant to try the drinks with sweeteners.
I use a salt substitute that contains a lot of potassium on my food and sometimes mix some in a glass of water. I also eat avocados and a lot of bone broths.

LoCalgirli Thu, Aug-19-10 10:17

I'd love to try the Electro Mix but I haven't been able to find it in any store - is it only available online?