Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Deviled Scrambled Eggs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480084)

Bonnie OFS Thu, Apr-19-18 15:26

Deviled Scrambled Eggs

I was looking thru an old cookbook & found this recipe. It looked good so I made it for lunch (eggs aren't just for breakfast!) & it was good! I added the onions & garlic - everything's better with onion & garlic. ;)

It's interesting how many older recipes are actually low carb. The older the cookbook, the higher the fat in the recipes.

Deviled Scrambled Eggs
makes 4 servings

butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
6 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Sauté the onion in the butter for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Mix the remaining ingredients well and pour into pan. Cook over medium to low heat until just set, stirring frequently.

Adapted from "Wonderful Ways to Prepare Eggs" by Jo Ann Shirley

SilverEm Thu, Apr-19-18 15:35

Bonnie, what a nice recipe. :) I like old cookbooks, too.

doreen T Thu, Apr-19-18 20:04

I've been making something similar for eons, just experimenting in the kitchen. Used a little fresh cream instead of sour cream, and Dijon mustard instead of powdered. Dijon mustard is really good with eggs; even just a dab mixed into otherwise plain scrambled eggs :thup:

Thanks for the reminder that eggs are for more than just breakfast :cool:

Bonnie OFS Thu, Apr-19-18 21:14

I never would have paired mustard with eggs until now. There are about half a dozen more recipes from that book I'm going to try; all new - to me - combinations. If they taste good, I'll post them here. :)

SilverEm Fri, Apr-20-18 03:46

Bonnie, I've noticed in several of the old cookbooks I have that there is powdered mustard in the scrambled egg recipes.

replay Wed, Apr-25-18 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I never would have paired mustard with eggs until now. There are about half a dozen more recipes from that book I'm going to try; all new - to me - combinations. If they taste good, I'll post them here. :)

Nice find. I am interested in hearing more!

I love yellow and Dijon mustard. The deviled scrambled eggs would go well stuffed in an avocado half :)

s93uv3h Thu, Jan-03-19 09:10

Looks good! I've been keeping the mustard powder handy for when I eat broccoli.

:)

Verbena Thu, Jan-03-19 13:33

Quote:
It's interesting how many older recipes are actually low carb. The older the cookbook, the higher the fat in the recipes.

I've noticed this too; any cookbook from before the "low fat" 70s is bound to have some recipes that fit the LC WOE. Of course, also many recipes with grains & potatoes, so not a universal truth :-) Not long ago I went through my (originally my mother's) 1953 copy of "Joy of Cooking", and found a number of recipes I plan to try, mostly in the eggs & cheese section, or veggies.