Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Any Protein Power People? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470904)

curlyJ Wed, Dec-02-15 19:41

Any Protein Power People?

Anyone following the plan?

LowcSpike Mon, Dec-07-15 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyJ
Anyone following the plan?

Hi there ! I am loosely following it , more on Paleo style lifestyle and finding a good weight loss with it but P-Power is one of my fave books and plans. It is a good motivational read.

Spike

porthardy Tue, Jan-05-16 14:02

I will be starting it in 2 days..hows it going for you?

Kristine Tue, Jan-05-16 14:10

Hi Porthardy. That was my first LC resource. :thup: Do you have the original PP book, or PP Lifeplan? I took PP out of the library to get started. Some time later, I bought PPLP, and it was my 'a-ha' moment book when it came to issues like vitamin D, magnesium, and other important health issues that relate to diet. I like that their plan had three different "commitment" levels. You could do the easier, less-strict thing or be more of a control freak if you had the motivation and the resources.

Best of luck; keep us posted!

porthardy Thu, Jan-07-16 01:50

To be honest...havent read any books..solely basing it on the info i got from the net..

Day 1 has gone smooth...not to bad...cravings for chocolate but i suspetthat has somthing to do with my impending cycle..

How have you been doing?

Benay Fri, Jan-08-16 09:38

Christine, I agree with you completely. The original PP was somewhat fat phobic but I ignored that advice. Like you, I was impressed with the PPLP. I haven't liked any of their other books although I bought, read and tried them all. The 6-week plan and Maintenance were the worst and not worth the money. I notice that Nutri-System is advocating the 2 weeks of shakes as in the 6-week plan. At the end of the 2 weeks I never wanted to see a shake again!

I lost 80 pounds on PP. Took almost a year and was very frustrating but it worked and that is all I care about.

Do buy the books. Then you can underline and sticky important pages. The Eades were very influenced by Atkins. Different medical specialties so a different approach. Good luck.

CallmeAnn Sat, Jan-23-16 18:08

Funny, because I found Dr. Eades's descriptions and explanations to be so easy to understand, and I had phenomenal success while doing it, I consider myself to a PP gal. Never mind that I am doing IF and shoot for 20 rather than the 30 grams that was my target back in '99 when the book was my guide. I still like him and try to benefit from his blog but I get frustrated with how little he interacts there. I want to be able to ask him questions directly. Can you imagine how busy that would keep him?

mojolissa Fri, Jan-29-16 22:00

I enjoyed PP the original book immensely! I lost 40 pounds back in 1999, but for some stupid :bash: reason I gave it up and gained it all back. Re-starting has not been successful IMO, so don't be like me and give up the plan once you lose the weight! Best of luck!

Merpig Sat, Jan-30-16 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Christine, I agree with you completely. The original PP was somewhat fat phobic but I ignored that advice. Like you, I was impressed with the PPLP. I haven't liked any of their other books although I bought, read and tried them all. The 6-week plan and Maintenance were the worst and not worth the money. I notice that Nutri-System is advocating the 2 weeks of shakes as in the 6-week plan. At the end of the 2 weeks I never wanted to see a shake again!

I lost 80 pounds on PP. Took almost a year and was very frustrating but it worked and that is all I care about.
Was the original PP fat phobic? I don't remember that but it's been years since I first read it, but it was PP that first led me to LC back in 1997, and I don't recall worrying about fat at all. Atkins had been around a long time at that point but, sorry to say, I read his book and thought he sounded like a snake oil salesman and it totally turned me off from the idea of low carb. But the PP book, with more emphasis on science, turned me on.

I lost 80 pounds in 14 months - but after a 3-year stall I admit I got discouraged and fell face-down into the carbs again and gained back all the weight "and then some" over the next 5 years, and it was not until 2006 I began a LC journey again, a journey I am still on now for 10 years.

I don't recall reading PPLP but I assume I did as I see I have both PP and PPLP on my "diet-related" bookshelf.

I hated the 6-week book! In fact I wrote a fairly critical review of it on Amazon which, for a long time, was on the top of the heap as the most helpful review. I got panned by Jimmy Moore for my review even though I started it right out by saying the Eades's were heroes of mine and I owed a lot to PP, and perhaps one reason I was so disappointed in this book (which felt quickly and hastily thrown together to me) was because I expected so much more from them.

In one of his blog posts Dr. Mike directly blamed my review for the poor sales of his book in the US, but I think the book spoke for itself in that regard. However he did say that in the UK (where my review was not around) his Amazon sales were much better. :D

These days I'm no longer on their specific plan, but I do owe them a lot.

cotonpal Sat, Jan-30-16 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Was the original PP fat phobic? I don't remember that but it's been years since I first read it, but it was PP that first led me to LC back in 1997, and I don't recall worrying about fat at all. Atkins had been around a long time at that point but, sorry to say, I read his book and thought he sounded like a snake oil salesman and it totally turned me off from the idea of low carb. But the PP book, with more emphasis on science, turned me on.

I had the same reaction to Protein Power vs Atkins. Protein Power seemed more scientific and Atkins too hard sell for me. I don't remember Protein Power as fat phobic either but for me it was a long time ago too.

Jean

Merpig Sat, Jan-30-16 19:49

Quote:
I hated the 6-week book! In fact I wrote a fairly critical review of it on Amazon which, for a long time, was on the top of the heap as the most helpful review. I got panned by Jimmy Moore for my review even though I started it right out by saying the Eades's were heroes of mine and I owed a lot to PP, and perhaps one reason I was so disappointed in this book (which felt quickly and hastily thrown together to me) was because I expected so much more from them.

In one of his blog posts Dr. Mike directly blamed my review for the poor sales of his book in the US,
Ha Ha, I just had to check after not looking for years, and the "top reviews" for this book are now all 5-star reviews. I wonder how amazon determines top reviews? The top review says 211 people found the review helpful. If you look at all reviews mine still pops up as the most helpful critical review, with 349 people finding it helpful. I mean how does a review with 211 "helpfuls" get higher billing that a review with 349 "helpfuls"? :D

CallmeAnn Sat, Jan-30-16 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay

Do buy the books. Then you can underline and sticky important pages. The Eades were very influenced by Atkins. Different medical specialties so a different approach. Good luck.

I don't know that I would call them fat phobic. They told us not to worry about the fat as it occurs naturally but I admit they didn't encourage us to add any, except that they did have fat fasts for when you stall.

I was thinking about finding my old copy if I still have it because I want the protein calculator.

Benay Sun, Jan-31-16 06:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
I don't know that I would call them fat phobic. They told us not to worry about the fat as it occurs naturally but I admit they didn't encourage us to add any, except that they did have fat fasts for when you stall.

If you will remember they advised not eating too many eggs or hard cheese because of the fat content.

If you have a copy of PPLP, the charts for protein amounts are pretty close to the calculations in PP. They provided the charts because a lot of people seemed to have trouble with the calculations. I didn't.

Benay Sun, Jan-31-16 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn

I was thinking about finding my old copy if I still have it because I want the protein calculator.

I do have a PP available and can give you the calculations if you give me your stats: height in inches, waist measurement at belly button, hip at largest, and weight.

You can send it to me as a private message, if you prefer.

Benay Sun, Jan-31-16 07:57

Quote:

In one of his blog posts Dr. Mike directly blamed my review for the poor sales of his book in the US, but I think the book spoke for itself in that regard. However he did say that in the UK (where my review was not around) his Amazon sales were much better. :D

These days I'm no longer on their specific plan, but I do owe them a lot.

I am surprised Dr Mike gave you static about your review of the 6-week cure. Some of the regular contributors to his forum offered to give it away to anyone who wanted it, finding it totally worthless. Maybe he doesn't read the forums. I was also surprised you got static from Jimmy Moore. I don't think he got that much out of the book himself. I keep it around--with Staying Power--as historical artifacts but not useful as references. I do go back to PP and PPLP if I need a refresher. And I use the protein calculator in PP every time I change my weight.

JudyJMa Thu, May-05-16 10:23

I make a protein shake 0,5 l water and a scoop of powder. I have it like an hour before I do weight training or running. I was told that taking it before has a better effect than after.

newlife40 Sun, May-29-16 17:24

I'm another one who did PPP back in 1999. He was selling a sort of infomercial type package that I found online that included a whole package of info. I lost 24 lbs in a month and then never did LC again... That's the last time I saw 175 lbs on the scale too, which is now my goal weight... Since then I've gained over 125 lbs and I turned 40 years old last week. I decided to start my new LCHF life the day after my 40th birthday and am now on Day 4 of PP. I ordered a new copy of the book because I find the ebook hard to flip around in.

alto Sun, May-29-16 17:47

Welcome newlife40. I've been on and off Protein Power for a long time, I'm embarrassed to say. It does work, as you know. You just have to do it!

There don't seem to be many PP people posting here, but you might find some good info and support on the general low carb or he Atkins sections. And if you want to keep track of how you're doing, you might want to start a journal. Best of luck to you!

RuthannP Sun, May-29-16 20:30

I use it to make heavenly angel food cake. :)

Benay Tue, May-31-16 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna1
I use it to make heavenly angel food cake. :)

Sorry, Pollyanna1, to which post are you referring?

RuthannP Tue, May-31-16 07:42

I use whey protein powder to make angel food cake. :)

newlife40 Tue, May-31-16 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna1
I use whey protein powder to make angel food cake. :)

I think maybe you mistook our reference to Dr Eades diet, Protein Power, for protein powDer? :p

CityGirl8 Sat, Jul-30-16 13:05

I'm a PP follower. First, started in 2000 with the original book. Loved that book with all the scientific explanations--I was a bit sad that they skimmed some of that off for the 2nd version.

I lost about 30 lbs and then life got me really off track, as it does. But, I've still mostly followed a LC WOE since then. It's helping me stave off diabetes, which runs in my family, keep my cholesterol and blood stats in good shape, and helps manage my ADHD.

I've been focused again on losing weight and have lost about 12 lbs. since the beginning of May.

I like how simple the plan is: Don't eat too many carbohydrates. Eat enough protein. Eat whatever other food you want. Maybe, if you're over 50 or getting close to goal, you might want to take a look at your calorie consumption, in a casual, drive-by sort of way.

I just read another post where people are getting into crazy details about which week you're allowed to eat berries or cottage cheese and whether you should eat a tablespoon of salsa because of the "sugar" even if it does fit your carb counts. Yikes. Too complicated for me.

I also love--and this is true of all LC plans--that I eat so many more vegetables, than I did before. It's not a prescribed thing, but it just seems to come along so naturally while we're looking for yummy things to put on our plates.

Back in the day, I was active on the PP forum that had started on the Eades old website and then moved to an off-site forum. It imploded from spam attacks and I still wonder where some of those great folks went.

JEY100 Sat, Jul-30-16 13:16

Many of those folks still follow Dr Mike's blog.
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/
Also his newsletter, I'm a fan of his monthly book recommendations.
He is back on the LC Lecture circuit...sure he is in San Diego this weekend, gave a good talk at Vail, etc, you can find on-line.

He said a while back they are working on a total update of the book, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. Edit: Yikes, my post on it was May 2014,
PP 2.0

bluesinger Wed, Sep-14-16 07:34

Is there a sticky somewhere here on the forum about the The 6-Week Cure For The Middle-Aged Middle? I can't get into the Protein Power thread because it hasn't been used in a while.

Benay Thu, Sep-15-16 06:35

Blusinger, I did the 6-week-cure when it came out. 2 weeks of shakes (I was almost retching by the end of the 2 weeks) then it was sliding into the first 2 weeks of Protein Power. I did not find it helpful but NutriSystem seems to have picked up on the 2 weeks of shakes idea for maximum weight loss.

Don't bother with the book. just make yourself hi protein (minimum 22 gm) shakes 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Have an egg or 1 oz of coconut milk for the fat content. You can add a hi fat hi protein no carb meal if you simply have to chew!

bluesinger Thu, Sep-15-16 06:51

Thanks for the response to such an old thread. I suppose I knew. ;)

Thejourney Tue, Apr-04-17 20:55

Hi Bluesinger,
I, too, have a middle age middle. I honestly don't think I can do two weeks of nothing but shakes and a little coconut milk and an egg, though. Kudos to you if you can and great job sticking to it Benay--that's willpower!!

merrylee Fri, May-05-17 19:44

I am doing PP, I have the book. I love it so far.

Ms Arielle Mon, Feb-12-18 21:15

I liked PP for the minimum protin intake. and the real importance of loosing slowly by still maintaining mucsle etc.

I too found it anti fats,but having read Atkins understood why fat intake is critical.

Definitely read the book.
online info very good too but ...read the book