Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Kefir - Trying to figure this stuff out (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=301732)

s93uv3h Sat, Jun-23-18 15:12

I'm still trying to find the right fermentation time and taste. I may have to see if time spent in the refrigerator actually stops (or stalls, or slows) fermentation, because all of my batches sat in the fridge after I stopped them by refrigeration, so they had 10-12 hours in there before meal time and I tried them (if that makes sense). Except for my short kefir mix episode with goat milk, all of my fridge time has been with loose covers (now I put a coffee filter molded around the top without a rubber band).

:)

mike_d Sat, Jun-23-18 21:21

I store grains in milk with a tight lid, then loosen the lid for fermentation.

Keep in mind milk used to store grains will ripen quicker -- usually in half the usual time. I try to stop mine before clear liquid (whey) begins to show at the bottom of the jar. Streaks usually form, visible thru the glass, just like when making yogurt as the milk begins to set up. It takes some experience.

Meme#1 Sat, Jun-23-18 21:45

If you pour out the Whey, does that lower the carb count? What is left if you do pour out the whey, is it cheese?

s93uv3h Sun, Jun-24-18 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d

Keep in mind milk used to store grains will ripen quicker -- usually in half the usual time. I try to stop mine before clear liquid (whey) begins to show at the bottom of the jar. Streaks usually form, visible thru the glass, just like when making yogurt as the milk begins to set up. It takes some experience.
Ah, thanks! That's why I'm down from a 24 hour ferment to 12 and under.

s93uv3h Sun, Jun-24-18 09:47

Quote:

mike_d: The instruction letter says to stir the grains and milk that are fermenting every few hours - do you do this?

s93uv3h Sun, Jun-24-18 11:41

Batch #6 is right on! Started it in the fridge with new whole milk & grains on Friday evening, 6pm. Took it out to start fermentation 4am Saturday, yesterday. Ended fermentation 1pm yesterday, strained, and refrigerated batch. Just drank it and finished the cup. Yummy.

So

10 hours in fridge w/grains
09 hour fermentation
10 hour in the fridge after done sans grains

mike_d Sun, Jun-24-18 12:36

You may stir new grains to get them started, but never mature ones while fermenting. If not quite ready when you are, just put kefir with grains in the fridge, it will be ready by morning usually. If it does go too far by accident, strain the curd -- it's like yogurt or farmer's soft cheese :yum:

I don't usually strain my product. Just spoon out the grains that float to the top and save em to use again. It saves a step. A few grains my be missed, but hey you got plenty and they are edible.

Make it thicker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnWhv0Vsts

s93uv3h Mon, Jun-25-18 12:25

Quote:
You may stir new grains to get them started, but never mature ones while fermenting. If not quite ready when you are, just put kefir with grains in the fridge, it will be ready by morning usually. If it does go too far by accident, strain the curd -- it's like yogurt or farmer's soft cheese :yum:

I don't usually strain my product. Just spoon out the grains that float to the top and save em to use again. It saves a step. A few grains my be missed, but hey you got plenty and they are edible.

Make it thicker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnWhv0Vsts
That clears a lot up - thank you again. Back to the drawing board.

s93uv3h Sun, Jul-01-18 14:59

Another kefir epiphany - I really really like it with food - and not as a stand alone drink. This is a wake up call for me as I was just about to hang this up and move on!

s93uv3h Tue, Jul-17-18 11:58

I'm on batch #12 and trying to keep a daily 1/2 to 2/3 cup around for every day use. I like mixing in 2t of chia seeds and some hershey's non-dutched cocoa powder and letting it sit for several hours. Goes great with my morning salad. Just had some with blueberries, sour cream, full fat greek yogurt, cubed jicama, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar for breakfast.

Ms Arielle Tue, Jul-17-18 15:25

wow- a chocolate pudding!

Wonder if that fermenting affects the chia seeds???

mike_d Tue, Jul-17-18 23:23

I store my grains so long in milk, and now that it's Summer starting with fresh milk every time makes more sense and produces a better product. Some milk gets waisted due to the storage, but I don't use enough kefir to make it everyday!

I also rinse the grains after a prolonged storage of a week or more due to the possibly of an acid buildup.

s93uv3h Tue, Jul-24-18 10:51

Quote:
I store my grains so long in milk, and now that it's Summer starting with fresh milk every time makes more sense and produces a better product. Some milk gets waisted due to the storage, but I don't use enough kefir to make it everyday!

I also rinse the grains after a prolonged storage of a week or more due to the possibly of an acid buildup.
Thanks for the tip!

FYI - Ran out of milk on the last batch, so I put the grains in half and half instead and put it in the fridge. Grains got noticeably larger!

Latest batch. Just started using a 64oz / 8 cup ball jar. Filled it to 5 and a half cups this time.

GRB5111 Tue, Jul-24-18 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Thanks for the tip!

FYI - Ran out of milk on the last batch, so I put the grains in half and half instead and put it in the fridge. Grains got noticeably larger!

Latest batch. Just started using a 64oz / 8 cup ball jar. Filled it to 5 and a half cups this time.

I have used half & half, and it usually was very tasty. I got it down to where I could produce 16 ounces a day, so I'd refrigerate the new batch, drink the day-old batch from the fridge, and start a new one all within a few minutes. I decided to cut back when I realized I was consuming more carbs from the milk than I wanted. Homemade kefir is much easier than yogurt and has more varied and healthy cultures than yogurt. For those that want an excellent quality probiotic, it's a winner. Store bought varieties don't come close.

Ms Arielle Tue, Jul-24-18 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I'm on batch #12 and trying to keep a daily 1/2 to 2/3 cup around for every day use. I like mixing in 2t of chia seeds and some hershey's non-dutched cocoa powder and letting it sit for several hours. Goes great with my morning salad. Just had some with blueberries, sour cream, full fat greek yogurt, cubed jicama, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar for breakfast.

I need to try this again-- where did you buy your starter? Cant remember the source, if you named it.