Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Chicken snob (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=372649)

25mary Thu, May-08-08 13:20

Chicken snob

I am officially a chicken snob. I always buy the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. While in Shoprite they had a family pack of leg quarter for 2.29. How could I resist when the price of food has gone up sooooo much. Well, I almost threw up when my sister told me to take the kidney out of the back of it. That was disgusting! It was fallin apart and just gross. OK, I admit, I'm a chicken snob and will never buy anything but boneless, skinless chicken.

Does anyone know how long to cook these babies for???

GeeWee Thu, May-08-08 13:38

I'm almost that bad. I'll buy whole chickens or chicken wings from time to time, but mostly I stick with the boneless skinless...

I found boneless skinless chicken THIGHS at the store the other day. I like dark meat from time to time, so I'm curious to see how those come out.

mellifera Thu, May-08-08 13:41

Touching raw chicken grosses me out, so I either buy the boneless skinless chicken breasts or the regular thighs. I use the thighs to make chicken stock, and shred the meat for the soup, or for salads or sandwiches for my husband.

pennink Thu, May-08-08 13:41

WHAT????? and not get all that good fatty crackled up skin!!!

Send yours here!!! (of course it might smell just a bit by the time it gets here)

shy__anne Thu, May-08-08 13:42

I bought a whole chicken once for the crockpot sticky chicken posted here on this site (mmm it's yummy too) but the neck had to be pulled out and I GAGGED until tears rolled down my cheeks. DH had to finish it and he's a vegetarian. I am very much a chicken snob too.

Sorry, I don't know how long they cook for.

Trrrracey Thu, May-08-08 13:47

Oh, I'm with you! I'm a terrible chicken snob! I don't want dark meat anywhere near my plate, and I hate picking it off a bone. Boneless, skinless breast for me all the way. When I can, I buy it from the Schwan man, because each breast comes individually wrapped, and all I have to do is squeeze it out of the plastic into my cooking pan and I don't even have to touch it! Heh.

alsmez Thu, May-08-08 13:54

OMG, you guys are missing out! Thigh meat is the only way to go! The boneless, skinless thighs are a PERFECT substitute for breasts - they never get dried out, either.

To the OP - your leg quarters will take about 35 mins in the oven if you roast them at 400 degrees or so (depending on how large they are). This will get the skin nice and crispy. Mmmm crispy chicken skin!

Chefjen Thu, May-08-08 13:54

Thighs are the best for stewing.. they are the MOISTEST part of the chicken and are very tender.

cindielyn Thu, May-08-08 13:56

Wow, sounds like you miss out on all the good stuff! I even buy backs to roast to pick on occasionally.

CharliG1 Thu, May-08-08 14:01

OMG Gosh Cindi, I love your bird!....

I bake dmy chicken skinles sbreat in teh oven for 20 minutes But I flatten alittle too, I put mayo mix w/parm cheese.

I love my legs and thighs though!

Chell921 Thu, May-08-08 14:32

I couldn't look at naked chicken when I was pregnant... so I get what you all mean. But now... I love chicken anyway you fix it. I have have bunches of chicken legs to toss on the grill. And I just brined a whole chicken last week, then made chicken stock out of the carcass. Yum.

(and should we be talking about Cindi's bird on a chicken thread? That reminds me of the joke about the parrot that was swearing up a storm. The guy told the parrot to knock it off or he'd stick the parrot in a closet. The parrot kept cussing so the parrot got stuck in a closet for an hour. The parrot still kept cussing, so the guy threatened to put the parrot in a cabinet for an hour. Didn't bother the parrot any - he STILL kept cussing so he was put in the cabinet for an hour. Even after that the parrot STILL kept cussing, so the owner told the parrot, "if you don't stop, I'm going to put you in the freezer." The parrot STILL kept cussing, so the owner put the parrot in the freezer. After about half an hour, the owner came and took the parrot out. The parrot apologized and promised never to cuss again. The owner asked the parrot what changed his mind finally, to which the parrot replied.... "I saw what happened to the chicken!")

(sorry ;) )

logansmom7 Thu, May-08-08 14:34

I'm a thigh girl myself too...They are so juicy and NEVER dry. SO many great ways to cook them too! Honestly, I don't like anything but dark meat!

black57 Thu, May-08-08 17:27

Give me the dark meat baby, especially the thighs with the skin on. Where is the kidney located on a leg quarter?

ErikaG Thu, May-08-08 18:08

I will only eat chicken breasts...but they don't have to be boneless or skinless...I love crispy skin...drumsticks and wings and thighs do not appeal to me whatsoever...

BUT I am a turkey freak...white, dark, it doesn't matter...its all delish to me

Weird, eh?

PearlWhite Thu, May-08-08 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
WHAT????? and not get all that good fatty crackled up skin!!!

Send yours here!!!
Ditto!!!

Although I had such a bad experience with chicken yesterday, I doubt I will be eating chicken for a few months!