Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What's the best LC pizza sauce? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=179524)

AnnieFelac Mon, Apr-19-04 19:04

What's the best LC pizza sauce?

I've gone and typed in pizza sauce in the search and get what seems like a thousand hits but I have to sift through tons of threads and I'm not finding anything but one thread on pizza where someone mentions that they are going to "try" the ragu LC spaghetti sauce making a pizza. I have never tried that sauce, does anyone know if it's any good? I got the carb options LC crust but am at a loss for what kind of sauce to use. My pepperoni is waiting. :) Thanks Annie

killamira Tue, Apr-20-04 00:18

i don't have a reply, sorry. but wanted to bump your post up top since I too have my peporoni waiting :P

LilaCotton Tue, Apr-20-04 01:12

We don't really make pizza now, but I used it in the past for pizza on bread crust, and it's either Hunts or Del Monte canned spaghetti sauce (I am thinking Hunts brand because I believe it's the red can). One variety (can't remember just which right now) is real low-carb with no added sugar, and it makes wondeful pizza sauce or pizza casserole sauce or meat sauce for over spaghetti squash.

If you buy the one without the sugar, there's no need to buy a special low-carb sauce, because it naturally has no added thickeners or sugar. :)

AnnieFelac Tue, Apr-20-04 01:45

Gosh, I hope it's the Hunts. That's what I used to use on my high carb spaghetti and my homade high carb pizzas before. I just automatically assummed that they were all loaded with sugar like ketchup is. I have the Atkins ketcha/tomato sauce but it looks too much like ketchup to sound good as a pizza sauce. I actually bought it so my DH would have a ketchup substitute. He likes the stuff, I don't. I'm going to the store on Wednesday and I will have to check the whole spaghetti sauce aisle now to find out which ones are made without sugar. Oh..what fun!!! And thanks to Killamara for bumping this back to the top. :) I was beginning to think this would never get a reply and didn't know how I could go about trying to ask the question again without sounding pushy. What do people normally do in a situation like that? Do you repost it in a different area or what? Annie

GrooveJock Tue, Apr-20-04 04:34

Kroger makes a Pizza sauce that has about 3 carbs per serving (4 servings per jar.) They have several flavors (my fav is garlic mushroom) best of all, a jar is about $.99!

niudog Tue, Apr-20-04 05:30

I'll check when I get home. We have some in the fridge.

laureninva Tue, Apr-20-04 07:03

I use Ragu Pizza sauce for my LC deep dish pizza. Its 4 carbs for 1/4 cup, and that's all I need to make a large pizza that makes 8 servings. If you are going to use one of the regular sauces as opposed to a LC sauce, I would definitely use a pizza sauce instead of a spagetti sauce. Spagetti/pasta sauces tend to have more sugar added than the pizza sauces.

Squid Tue, Apr-20-04 07:39

Clasico makes a tomato sauce that they don't tout as low carb, but it's the lowest carb sauce I've found. It's 4 gm net carbs per half cup so pretty reasonable. It's the spinach cheese sauce. It doesn't taste like spinach or cheese, but I guess adding those two ingredients keeps the carbs down. It's the only tomato sauce I use now. Better than anything labelled LC that I've found.

LadyBelle Tue, Apr-20-04 10:30

I use the ragu lite all the time and enjoy it. It has no added sugars and the same carbs as the "low carb" tomato sauce, but for about half the price. :)

Birddog Tue, Apr-20-04 12:12

I found that Ragu is one of the lowest in carbs. There one other I use called Bella Vista. It have 3 carbs with 1 gram of fiber for 1/4 cup. It was quite good. ;)

4beans4me Tue, Apr-20-04 16:58

I use alfredo sauce instead of red sauce. :yum:

blueflyer Tue, Apr-20-04 23:01

I got this at Trader Joe's

Bella Vita Low Carb Roasted Garlic 26 oz jar

1/2 cup serving

total carbs 6 g, fiber 2 g, sugar 1g
Ingredients
tomatoe puree (water tomatoe paste) diced tomatoes, veg oil, salt, dehydrated onions, roated garlic, extra virgin olive oil, citric acid, parsley, gasil, oregano spices, natural flavor.

It's been very tasty.

AnnieFelac Wed, Apr-21-04 00:50

Wow!!! Thanks everyone! I will be going to the grocery store tomorrow and I can shop with a good idea of whats out there. The Kroger stuff sounds interesting. We have a Fred Meyer down the street and I may have to see how that works for only 99cents. I like alfredo sauce too, with chicken and spinach. I was just craving my old favorite, pepperoni with black olives. Hey if anyone's heard of a low carb version of canned mandarine oranges that would be nice. hehe I used to use those alot instead of pineapple with canadian bacon. There's a gourmet pizza joint around here that I had it at once and got hooked. But I freaked when I read the carb count on one of my cans and gave them all away. Annie

niudog Wed, Apr-21-04 05:17

All right, I checked my fridge and the pizza sauce we use is:
Enricos All Natural Pizza Sauce.
6 carbs total for 1/4 Cup of sauce.

I buy this at our health food store and we may use 1/2 Cup at a time. The LC pizza crust we use is about 8 inches in diameter, so it doesnt take allot of sauce. There are lower carb pizza sauces out there, but we really like this one.

Hilary M Wed, Apr-21-04 06:55

I use Hunts pre-made pizza sauce in the can, available in any grocery store. It's something like 4 net carbs per serving, and I don't like much sauce on my pizza anyway, so it works out fine for me. I'll handle the small amount of sugar (if there is any) in exchange for not having to buy expensive specialty low-carb sauces!

What do you all use for a pizza crust? I've found the MiniCarb pizza crust mix isn't bad at all, and I also sometimes use a Mama Lupe's low-carb tortilla.