Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Sticks Sticks Those D*** Sticks!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=257007)

<3Coachn' Sat, Jul-09-05 07:27

Sticks Sticks Those D*** Sticks!!!

Last night I went to bed checked the stick Neg reading. Middle of the night Cheched the stick Purple. Got up this morning checked the stick really light Pink. When I look at myself my body is getting slimmer everyday. According to the sticks and scale not really making progress. I know the stick can be anyshade and you are burning. I just hate praying every time I pee on that sucker. Im using them alot cause Im trying to see what puts me in and out and always the bottle b4 this one was DARK Purple and I really needed to drink more water. I hope that in the morning I get up and drop like 4 lbs all at once I need some incouragement from that scale.

<3 Kristal

zorra_1 Sat, Jul-09-05 07:35

Although I have never personally used them, I wouldn't rely too heavily on them. I know MANY people who continue to lose weight at a steady pace and have never even registered color on those sticks (which is why I don't use them!). If you feel yourself getting slimmer, use that as motivation. The amount of water you drink can greatly affect the results you get with the sticks. Good Luck! :wave:

camaromom Sat, Jul-09-05 07:48

It was always my understanding that you only need to use the sticks once a day in first morning urine. I used them at first, but haven't used them lately. To save $$ if you are going to use them use a tiny scissors and cut each strip in 1/2. HTH

niudog Sat, Jul-09-05 08:25

I've never used the sticks, so maybe I should not post anything here... but just use your $$$ to buy fresh green veggies instead.

Remember you may be dropping inches, but not el bees. And even though the scale may not be moving, you posted "When I look at myself my body is getting slimmer everyday."

Remember you're more than a # on a scale, and more than a color on a stick. Its really all about being healthier.

Have fun on this journey, and stop stressing about the sticks.
Good luck!!!

Kristine Sat, Jul-09-05 08:28

You don't want purple sticks. That basically means you're not drinking enough water to effectively flush those ketones. Ketones are a little hard on the kidneys; that's why people with kidney damage are told to avoid ketosis. You have nothing to worry about! :thup: I'd put the scale away for a while and ditch the sticks if it's causing you to be that frustrated.

Pandora23 Sat, Jul-09-05 08:35

Pitch the sticks, they are pretty much worthless and just cause extra stress. :)

Beck Sat, Jul-09-05 09:20

Ok, i know this question is redundant, and i apologize, but since i drink 4-5L a day, i guess thats why, im not showing any colour change as well?

satin_moon Sat, Jul-09-05 10:28

The first time I was doing atkins I never showed any color on the sticks and lost over 50 pounds.They just seem to me like a way to set you up for failure.Another way to be discouraged,and heaven knows I don't need any help in that area.This time around there are no sticks and fixing to be no scale.It's to hard on my mental health as well.

JAnn Sat, Jul-09-05 10:31

Since I started drinking the required amount of water, my sticks turn barely pink. If I don't get the water down the sticks get darker purple. It's frustrating because I wasn't sure I was in Ketsosis since I don't have "that" breath. I am losing weight so as soon as the bottle is used up, it's gone!

JaneDough Sat, Jul-09-05 15:18

Oh thank goodness - I thought I might be the only one completely ignoring the whole, pee-on-the-stick thing. Never saw the benefit personally, but certainly not knocking those who do. :)

caverjen Sat, Jul-09-05 19:58

I have NEVER turned a stick even baby pink, even during induction, which I also attribute to my high H2O intake. I can tell when I'm in ketosis by the funny taste in my mouth.

Ice111111 Sun, Jul-10-05 14:17

I have been hitting dark purple everytime I check!

Unless ofcourse I drink alot of low carb beer! :(

I also try to drink lots of water, but sometimes that doesn't happen (I do drink 2L's per day though)

Ashling Sun, Jul-10-05 14:25

Stinky urine and breath are classic tell tale signs of ketosis, along with a DECREASE in hunger.

If those aren't happening then you probably are not in it.

Ditch the sticks... not always accurate and a waste of money. Plus they can cause alot of stress!

marknamy97 Wed, Apr-19-06 08:47

The stix only show purple when there is an overflow of ketones from you blood. Being in ketosis means that your body will not turn excess ketones into fat and simply excretes extra ketones in your breath and urine. Just becasue you don't show positive on the stix doesn't mean your not in ketosis. It may mean that your body is using all the ketones it is making and there is no excess. If you work out a lot then your body may be using all the ketones being produced.

On the other hand...it is better to test in the morning..because at test strip will also turn purple when your body is buring up a fatty meal. The strips have now way to differentiate between fat you've eaten..and ketones your liver has produced from your body fat.

I hope this helps and wasn't confusing. I've done sooo much research on ketosis. :D

kimbo1926 Wed, Apr-19-06 09:08

I am always in Kentois.. although my weight loss is very slow :( started meat and egg diet been on it for 8 days... still ketosis although very slow moving. So as long as your losing doesnt really matter whether your in ketosis or not. Good luck! Kim