Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Coconut Oil/Savi Seed Treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=454986)

CWatt Sun, Aug-25-13 12:37

Coconut Oil/Savi Seed Treats

I have been mixing two squares of Lindt 90% dark chocolate with 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil, and freezing for 10 minutes - to make soothing pieces for my dry mouth. Works pretty good too!

But today I started thinking about making it into a treat - so I have added crushed Savi Seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut and sweetener to my mixture. I am allergic to nuts, but Savi Seeds have a nice nutty flavour - and I just happen to have some I needed to use up.

Here's my recipe:
In a glass measuring cup, melt 2 squares of Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate for about 2 minutes in the microwave. Add in enough coconut oil to make 1/2 cup (about 3.5 ounces). Mix well.

Crush two TBSP of natural salted Savi Seeds, place in sandwich style freezable container. Add in 2 TBSPs of unsweetened shredded coconut and 1 TBSP of sweetener (I used Date Palm Sugar).

Pour in chocolate/coconut oil mixture. Stir well. Place in freezer for 10 minutes, making sure it is level. When frozen, break into small pieces.

You might need to play with the ingredients, I tried not to use much sugar because I can't use artificial sweeteners, but you might need more (or less) sweetener.

These turned out really good - maybe too good, I ate several pieces! I think next time I will use a little less sweetener.

Nutritional Data: For the whole recipe, because you can't break in uniform pieces once frozen.
Calories: 1,429, Fat: 137, Carbs: 38, Fiber: 17, Net carbs - 8

If you were able to cut it into 1" squares in a 6 inch container, you would get 36 pieces, each piece would be:
Calories: 39.7, Fat: 3.8, Carbs: 1.1, Fiber: 0.5, Net carbs - 0.6

Of course, if you used an artificial sweetener, it would be lower in carbs.

CWatt Wed, Aug-28-13 14:04

Still working on the best recipe - so I made some changes today.
I tried "Just Like Sugar", hopefully I will cope OK with it.
Sadly I usually do better with real sugar (or Date Palm Sugar) than with sugar substitutes.

So here is what I tried today:

In a glass measuring cup, melt 3 squares of Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate in the microwave.

Add in coconut oil to make 1/2 cup. (about 3.5 ounces)
Add 1 TBSP butter. Mix well.

Crush Savi Seeds, place 4 TBSP in square or rectangle freezable container.

Add in 4 TBSP of unsweetened shredded coconut.

Add about 2 TBSP of sweetener (I used "Just Like Sugar" - 0 carbs, 0 far, 0 calories, 0 sugar)

Pour in chocolate/coconut oil/butter mixture. Stir well.

Place in freezer for 10 minutes, making sure it is level. When frozen, cut into small pieces.

Because I used more ingredients this time, I was able to cut it into more pieces and got 49 good size pieces.

If you cut it into 49 pieces, each piece will be:
Calories: 37.9, Fat: 3.8, Carbs: 0.8, Fiber: 0.5, Net carbs - 0.3

Molly B Wed, Aug-28-13 16:26

This sounds great, and I'm eating Nutiva coconut oil out of the jar with a little fresh coconut I put in there after I bought a coconut and cracked it.

But eating this type of this all of the time would only trigger cravings for me. I have no desire for sweets, not even non-calorie sweeteners. An item like this would have to be a once-a-month treat for me, or all hell would break loose.

Better to drink a lot of water for your dry mouth.

CWatt Thu, Aug-29-13 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
Better to drink a lot of water for your dry mouth.

Sadly I have been drinking 24 -8oz glasses of water each day - and my mouth is still dry. The coconut oil helps somewhat, otherwise my mouth gets so sore. This has been going on for weeks!